PDA

View Full Version : "Sparky" Maple Plate

Jeff Myroup
02-23-2011, 8:56 PM
I turned this plate a few weeks ago. Finally got it shipped out yesterday to it's new home in AZ. The plate is 12" hard maple. The rim is Silver and Copper leaf with chemical patina. The image is burned with oil pencil used for highlights and lowlights

John Keeton
02-23-2011, 9:21 PM
Jeff, that is a beautiful piece!! Well done all around - excellent embellishments with the leaf, great pyro work and coloration. What did you use for patinization?

David E Keller
02-23-2011, 9:31 PM
Very cool piece! The artwork is very well done, but that metallic band is the portion that really commands my attention. I'll second John's question about the process for creating the patina. Thanks for sharing.

BILL DONAHUE
02-23-2011, 9:38 PM
Very nice! Was this a commission piece? If so, the buyer has to be very happy. If it is a gift, even happier.

Jeff Myroup
02-23-2011, 9:53 PM
Thanks guys. The patina is sulfurated potash also called "liver of sulfur" or just potash. If you leave it on longer than I did, it will turn to shades of blue on the silver. I stopped it when it turned magenta. It is really easy to work with. I will warn you though, it STINKS!

Bill: This was a commission piece. My clients really only care about the burning, so it frees me up to try different things around the rim.

Baxter Smith
02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Beautiful work in all aspects. Sparky really looks he might come out of that plate!

Ron Stadler
02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Very cool, I love pyrography and you did such a nice job here.

Mark Hubl
02-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice plate Jeff. The art work is great. Your client should be quite happy.

Bob Bergstrom
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Those Illiana woodturners are showing up everywhere. Great job and it looks even better in person.

Jeff Myroup
02-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone. It helps to have a wife that is a very talented portrait artist. She really helps with the eyes and nose. She has taught me a lot about shading, both highlights and lowlights.

Mark: She must have liked it, she ordered 2 more. This was my first non-mastiff piece and the light colored hair was tough

Jeff Myroup
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Now we just have to recruit some more members :)

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Beautiful piece Jeff and the pyro looks awesome. I just got into pyro and having a ball with it.

Dan Forman
02-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Love the patina! Sparky looks like he is carved in relief, very three 3D. I thought he was going to bite me!

Dan

Jon McElwain
02-24-2011, 2:04 AM
Sparky looks like he is carved in relief, very three 3D.

I had to look again after I read it was pyro - I thought it was carved too. Excellent rendition, very realistic. Love the metal work.

Michelle Rich
02-24-2011, 6:25 AM
As the A#1 Dog Lover, you got my attention quickly with 'ol Sparky! I bet the buyers are pleased.

philip labre
02-24-2011, 8:30 AM
Excellent work and thanks for sharing.

Jeff Myroup
02-24-2011, 9:40 AM
As the A#1 Dog Lover, you got my attention quickly with 'ol Sparky! I bet the buyers are pleased.

Michelle: I started making these plates about 3 years ago. My wife is a board member of Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue, and she used to show as well, so I have a hugh market. I have found that if you put a dog on it, they will buy it. Dog lovers tend to be a little nuts, but in the best way possible. ;) I have now started a whole pet related line, including cremation urns.

Jeff Myroup
02-24-2011, 9:43 AM
Thanks Dan. I have a few more plates I will post later.