PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recoginze this DC?

Matt Roth
02-23-2011, 8:39 PM
I'm interested in buying this; I think it's an Onieda. Does anyone know the model #? Thanks!

Matt

183997 183998

paul cottingham
02-23-2011, 9:12 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't think that's an Oneida.
Remember, my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Matt Roth
02-23-2011, 9:40 PM
That's kind of what the rational side of my brain is thinking; the seller is pretty insistent it's an Oneida. I'm crossing my fingers that you're wrong, but I can't find an Oneida that looks like that, so I'm becoming more doubtful. The seller has this unit in storage; he's going to send me a model# later this week.

david brum
02-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Last year I drove into the country to follow up on a craigslist ad for a complete DC system from the '80s. It hadn't been used in recent years, but had been the main collection system for a cabinet and store display business. It was powered by 2 3hp DCs and fed into an old Oneida cyclone body, then into a set of Oneida cloth bags. The Oneida body looked just like that one. I ended up buying the DCs (one was just parts, which I sold to cover my expenses) but left the cyclone and a ton of 4" ducting, elbows,etc.

My reasoning was that the old cyclone designs apparently don't do a very good job of fine dust separation. They use a design intended for farming, not wood working. If you compare the body in the photo with a newer design, you'll see that the cone is much taller and the cyclone body is much shorter on newer designs. Newer cyclones also have internal vanes which help with separation. Like him or not, Bill Pentz revolutionized the WW dust collection industry by designing a system specifically for separating wood dust. Some version of his design is now used by all of the major players. According to Pentz, the older cyclones aren't really any better than trash can separators. I ended up building dual Thien internal baffles for the 3HP DC that I bought, along with twin Wynn filters. I figure it works better and creates less friction.

That was my thinking anyway. If you're venting outside without using filters where fine dust separation isn't a big deal, it would probably work fine.

Rick Potter
02-24-2011, 2:06 AM
Looks somewhat like a 1 1/2 HP internal filter Onieda I had about 12 years ago. Why not e-mail Onieda and ask?

Rick Potter

sunny nic
02-24-2011, 3:53 AM
Looks somewhat like a 1 1/2 HP internal filter Onieda I had about 12 years ago. Why not e-mail Onieda and ask?

Rick Potter

yup, just ask directly

Matt Roth
02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Great idea, message sent. Thanks!

Jim McFarland
02-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Rick Potter

+1 I have one of these 1.5HP Onieda DC systems and the internal filter was a pain to keep clean. I converted to an external filter (expensive conversion: $250+ IIRC) and I'm satisfied with it for home hobby use. 16-32 drum sander is my primary DC application and it works fine for that.

Homer Faucett
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I have one just like Jim (looks like the one in your photo, I think, but your photo is a little small). I don't have a drum sander, so I don't find that the internal filter is nearly as difficult to keep clean. It works great for TS, planer, jointer, router table applications. I clean the filter maybe twice per year, and the cyclone seems to do a good job. It might be a pain to clean that internal filter if you do a high amount of fine dust work (drum sander), but I wouldn't know about that, since most of my dust is made by a ROS and connected to a Fein Turbo.

I bought mine, even though I wanted a 3hp unit, because someone locally had a deal I just could not pass up, and I knew I would take forever in making the Pentz design cyclone. I've been happy with it. It uses a 1.5 hp marathon motor, if I remember correctly.

Joe A Faulkner
02-24-2011, 9:44 PM
... I ended up building dual Thien internal baffles for the 3HP DC that I bought, along with twin Wynn filters. I figure it works better and creates less friction.

That was my thinking anyway. ...

Hey David, What's a Dual Thien? I'm in the process of building a 6" Thien, and am curious as to what you mean by a dual Thien? Got any pictures?

david brum
02-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh. It's not a dual Thien, it's dual Thiens. Just imagine a 3 hp DC with its two sets of bags, one on each side of the motor. Then imagine a Thien baffle in each side. Nothing fancy, but it works great. I'm referring to the internal baffle vs the pre-separator trash can type. I prefer the internal baffle because it doesn't seem to have any noticeable affect on airflow and doesn't use any extra space.

Neil Whannel
03-01-2011, 9:42 PM
Matt, it is an oneida, here is a pic of a 5 hp oneida that i bought a month ago. I talked to oneida and they thought mine was approximately 15 yrs old. It has no neutral vane or air ramp (currently).

Chip Lindley
03-02-2011, 3:22 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=183997&d=1298511549

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=184772&d=1299033640&thumb=1

Yep, it's an Oneida. Here is an ad from FFW in 1999: