PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith Workbench

Adam Cormier
02-23-2011, 7:42 PM
Hey all,

I ended up getting an old, used Shopsmith Workbench from Craigslist. The guy gave me a fantastic deal. Everything is tight, square and the vises work perfect! Man, this thing is heavy. The bench top and front skirt did need to be attacked by my jack plane though! Here are some before and after photo's.

My question, I have contacted Shopsmith who stopped making the workbench around 1994. They have very little information on the finish they applied. The best answer I could get was "an oil wood conditioner." Can you guys help me out? I wouldn't know where to start, how many kinds there are, etc. I am trying to match it to the existing finish that is on the rest of the bench.

Any assistance, as always, is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam

glenn bradley
02-23-2011, 8:40 PM
Resurrected. Congrats.

Bernie May
02-23-2011, 9:01 PM
Beautiful bench!!!! I don't think you can go wrong with any common modern oil. I wouldn't be so interested in matching the finish. Afterall, it's a workbench!!! by the way, how much did you pay?
-bernie

Joe A Faulkner
02-23-2011, 9:26 PM
Great score. I'm still in the dreaming/planning stages. Post some more pics once you finish the top. What are the dimensions of this puppy?

Adam Cormier
02-23-2011, 9:37 PM
Beautiful bench!!!! I don't think you can go wrong with any common modern oil. I wouldn't be so interested in matching the finish. Afterall, it's a workbench!!! by the way, how much did you pay?
-bernie

I got a great deal. I paid $300 and he threw in 4 shopsmith panel clamps, 2 other clamps, an antique (in great shape) miter box with an antique disston saw. He was a great old man, just getting out of the whole woodworking thing. I felt like it was Christmas morning because he just kept saying, "take this." I told him that I didn't feel it was right to take it but he said he just wanted to give it to me.

Adam Cormier
02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Resurrected. Congrats.

Thanks Glenn! I certainly enjoyed bringing it back to life and it was a good lesson for me with respect to hand planing. Boy oh boy, it is an art hand planing laminated pieces of wood that have grain running in opposite directions

Joe A Faulkner
02-24-2011, 9:38 PM
Sometimes it helps to be in the right place at the right time and to know a great deal when you see it.

Matt Ranum
02-25-2011, 1:37 PM
Thats awesome.... and by the way....you suck!:p:D

Why can't I ever find deals like that.:D

Chip Lindley
02-26-2011, 8:24 PM
Three workbench finishes come to mind. Plain old boiled linseed oil; Watco Danish oil; and Tung oil, and. Of the three, Tung oil would offer the best protection, from abrasion and glue, paint or stain spills.

Brian Kincaid
03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Dip a paintbrush into poly then sling it onto the top. Repeat at least 10x. Take smatterings of every paint sample you own and throw liberal drops and puddles all over the top. Now take some 120grit and give the top a quick one-over. Careful not to go through the finish. Now its perfect!

Just kidding. That bench looks really great. Enjoy!
-Brian

Adam Cormier
03-05-2011, 6:20 PM
Hey all,

I finally had an opportunity to apply multiple coats of pure tung oil to the workbench. I am very happy with it.

shane lyall
03-06-2011, 7:27 PM
That looks to good to be in a shop! Hmm...wonder if I told her I bought it as a sofa table???? Good looking bench and I'd STILL be sore from that hand planing job. And oh yes my friend....you suck!

David Nelson1
03-06-2011, 7:37 PM
Turned out real well. Enjoy it

Adam Cormier
03-06-2011, 8:03 PM
That looks to good to be in a shop! Hmm...wonder if I told her I bought it as a sofa table???? Good looking bench and I'd STILL be sore from that hand planing job. And oh yes my friend....you suck!

As it was my first time hand-planing in a solid decade, I too was pretty sore. My triceps were throbbing for a couple days and I had a pretty sizeable blister on the palm of my hand :)