PDA

View Full Version : OT-I think my router just died...

Chuck Wintle
02-23-2011, 7:39 PM
All of a sudden my router was no longer connecting to my modem. and i could no longer access the user panel through the browser. I think this means the router has suffered an unrecoverable fault. its a dlink dir-615...i need a new one now and was wondering what is recommended for wireless routers.
thx.

Bryan Morgan
02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
All of a sudden my router was no longer connecting to my modem. and i could no longer access the user panel through the browser. I think this means the router has suffered an unrecoverable fault. its a dlink dir-615...i need a new one now and was wondering what is recommended for wireless routers.
thx.

Something you can load the DDWRT firmware on. Buffalo has some decent products as does Linksys.

Chuck Wintle
02-24-2011, 7:37 AM
The 5 volt power supply for the router was extremely hot so its my guess it had become short circuit. Will need to fine a replacement for it or buy a new router.

Chuck Wintle
02-24-2011, 7:43 AM
Something you can load the DDWRT firmware on. Buffalo has some decent products as does Linksys.

Is DDWRT firmware a third party for this product? What does it do that the stock firmware does not do?

Curt Harms
02-24-2011, 8:00 AM
The 5 volt power supply for the router was extremely hot so its my guess it had become short circuit. Will need to fine a replacement for it or buy a new router.

I was wondering if it was a power supply problem, but routers are cheap enough these days. The old war horse Linksys WRT54GL has a pretty good track record if you don't need N speed wireless. That's the one where you can load 3rd party firmware and make it do lots of things Linksys never intended.

Myk Rian
02-24-2011, 8:18 AM
Stay with a D-link. They are more difficult to break into.
http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/07/millions-of-soho-routers-vulnerable-to-new-version-of-old-attack.ars

Chuck Wintle
02-24-2011, 9:08 AM
Stay with a D-link. They are more difficult to break into.
http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/07/millions-of-soho-routers-vulnerable-to-new-version-of-old-attack.ars

I was able to order a replacement PS from ebay for just $10. Will see if that works or not. Right now the router is up and running because i was able to get another PS from another piece of euipment.

Bryan Morgan
02-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Is DDWRT firmware a third party for this product? What does it do that the stock firmware does not do?

Yup. Programmable VLANs, crank up the radio signal from 100mw to 225mw, overclock the processor, VPNs, QoS, hotspot, virtual interfaces, Radius client, all kinds of programmable access controls for the kids.... a bunch of other stuff with fancy acronyms you'd probably never use :)

Curt Harms
02-25-2011, 8:13 AM
Yup. Programmable VLANs, crank up the radio signal from 100mw to 225mw, overclock the processor, VPNs, QoS, hotspot, virtual interfaces, Radius client, all kinds of programmable access controls for the kids.... a bunch of other stuff with fancy acronyms you'd probably never use :)

Don't forget cutting a hole in the case to install an oversized heat sink :).