PDA

View Full Version : Arthritic knees and Knee Pads.

David Nelson1
02-23-2011, 6:54 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, a lot of good info passed. I'm in need of some relief when on my knees. The cardboard, old rugs, bubble wrap, etc have worked in the past but provide no relief now. What should I be looking for when shopping for a pair? I don't wanna buy a pair and then find out they don't fit or hurt more than the ground does.

Dave

Chris Rosenberger
02-23-2011, 8:12 PM
I have been using knee pads for the last 20+ years. I have used many different types. I still have not found one I really like, but I like the ones I am currently using the best of all.
I do not remember the brand name, they are on a jobsite right now. I got them at Lowes, they are gel filled & have one strap. The one strap seemed to work the best for me. The 2 strap pads I have used seemed to move around a lot more than the one strap.

Larry Fox
02-23-2011, 8:33 PM
I also use a pair that I bought at one of the BORG stores. Another place you should look is a skateboard shop. I have a pair that I sue for skateboarding that are pretty comfortable and protect well.

Brent Smith
02-23-2011, 9:22 PM
Hi David,
I have some pretty screwed up knees. Combine that with the fact I'm on Coumadin, and the slightest pressure on my knee can cause some serious internal bleeding, I pretty much gave up on all the pads out there. That is till I tried Lee Valley's Premium Pads http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62585&cat=1,42207,46155 . No pain at all with up to an hour at a time on them! I hope the mods are OK with the direct link, but in this case I felt it was justified as a solution to a physical problem.

Paul Wolf
02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Not exactly knee pads, but I find using a gardening kneeling pad works pretty well for me.

Andrew Joiner
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
The problem with most knee pads is you have to put them on! Then the straps can bind so I can't wait to take them off. Then I say "is it worth it to put them on for this short time I'm on my knees" then I get down on my knees and wish I had them on.

I wear work pants with built in knee pads now and LOVE them. I won't go in the shop to work without them. Even if I'm on my knees for a minute (as I am many times a day) I'm comfortable.

I had Skillers brand pants with the deluxe thick pads for for many years. Then I switched to Carhartts. The thin pads that Carhartt sells don't work. I use 2 layers of 1/4 high density EVA foam and it's almost as good as the Skillers.

Gary Herrmann
02-24-2011, 12:29 PM
That's a good idea. I've just been using a 1" thick foam pad when I have to kneel.

Heather Thompson
02-24-2011, 1:52 PM
I have been using knee pads for the last 20+ years. I have used many different types. I still have not found one I really like, but I like the ones I am currently using the best of all.
I do not remember the brand name, they are on a jobsite right now. I got them at Lowes, they are gel filled & have one strap. The one strap seemed to work the best for me. The 2 strap pads I have used seemed to move around a lot more than the one strap.

David,

I think that I have the same knee pads as Chris, got them at Lowes and they are single strap gel filled, the brand is AWP. I use these things all the time, when I am working in the driveway on our cars and truck, in the shop and when I wash the floors in the baths and kitchen. The only issue that I have with these is the strap is a little big for my legs, that was quickly solved with a needle and thread.

Heather

frank shic
02-24-2011, 4:31 PM
if you don't mind spending extra cash, look into: proknee

http://www.proknee.com/

i have a pair and they're absolutely fantastic for any prolonged work on your knees like flooring.

David Nelson1
02-24-2011, 4:44 PM
I didn't know there was so many choices. Thanks for the tips ya,ll