PDA

View Full Version : How to cut through stucco

Mike Henderson
02-23-2011, 6:07 PM
I have to install a dog door on a stucco house. What's the best way to cut through the stucco. In the past, for small holes, I'll drill holes, then break the stucco with a hammer and clean the edge with a cold chisel. But for something as big as a dog door I'd like some power tool technique.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have most tools but need to know what kind of blade to use.

Mike

Marc Pelletier
02-23-2011, 6:13 PM
Hello Mike,

I recently cut a vent hole on my stucco house using a jig saw with an aggressive wood blade. Of course you need to drill a hole first to get the blade in, but it worked very well and the hole was fairly neat.

cheers,

Marc

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2011, 6:15 PM
I've used a circular saw + masonry blade to cut through lathe + plaster walls [the old stuff- not drywall]. perfectly clean edge. small handsaw to clean out the corners.

Jay Runde
02-23-2011, 6:21 PM
I used both a circular saw and grinder with a masonry blade. I preferred the grinder as it was easier to control the depth as the blade wore down.

Erik Christensen
02-23-2011, 6:24 PM
angle grinder with diamond blade

Bill Rogers
02-23-2011, 6:45 PM
Keep in mind that you will create a lot of dust when you cut through the stucco. If you can't keep it wet (I know that you are using a circular saw or a grinder) then be sure to wear a dust mask and eye protection.

johnny means
02-23-2011, 6:55 PM
I just recently cut through a cinderblock wall to expand my shop. I bought a cement board saw that HD just introduced.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R3400-Fuego-Saw/EN/index.htm

I bought a diamond blade for it and hooked it up to my Festool vac. I got nice clean cuts and it contained all the dust really well. I was going to do a review, but haven't gotten around to it. The dust collection was excellent and I could see t as a poor mans Festool.

Mike Henderson
02-23-2011, 8:57 PM
Thanks everyone. That Ridgid saw looks good. I'll drop by HD and check it out (good excuse to buy a new tool:)).

Mike