PDA

View Full Version : Thermark and Brass

Dianne Mitchell
02-23-2011, 5:55 PM
I have used spray Thermark with great success, but the waste (and cost) made me crazy. So I opted to try the "paste".

I have the settings down pat, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced "staining" of the metal. I am only brushing on the area that will be lasered, but when I wash off the Thermark, there is a decided stain...this is a raw, brushed finish brass. I also noticed it to a lesser degree with a raw stainless.

Any ideas?

Dee Gallo
02-23-2011, 6:15 PM
Dianne,

If you want to go one extra step, mask the whole area off, then engrave through the tape to expose the metal. Spray with Cermark/Thermark and then put it back in the laser to run again. If it really matters, this will be worth it.

cheers, dee

Gary Hair
02-23-2011, 8:47 PM
You can greatly reduce the staining by spraying the Cermark/Thermark on instead of brushing. If you spray from farther away than normal then it dries partially before it hits the surface. You can also heat the material before you spray, it will dry very fast.

Gary

bob pfohler
02-24-2011, 9:32 AM
That's a great idea!

Dianne,

If you want to go one extra step, mask the whole area off, then engrave through the tape to expose the metal. Spray with Cermark/Thermark and then put it back in the laser to run again. If it really matters, this will be worth it.

cheers, dee

Dianne Mitchell
02-24-2011, 9:54 AM
Thanks Dee, I'll give it a whirl.