PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood vase

Robert McGowen
02-23-2011, 4:23 PM
Sorry I have not been around much lately. Retirement has turned into working about 50 hours a week!

This is 168 pieces of bloodwood and 1 piece of yellowheart. 13" tall, sanded to 600 grit, and 3 coats of antique oil. It was hard to photograph, as it was sanded so much and I used a gloss finish on it. Because of this though, the wood really shimmers and seems to move as you view it from different angles.

Critiques and comments are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

bob svoboda
02-23-2011, 4:26 PM
Very appealing shape and the finish is awesome! Joinery is perfection itself. Thanks for sharing and nice to see you back at the Creek.

Mark Hubl
02-23-2011, 4:31 PM
Very nice Robert. It has a very pleasing shape, real nice curves. Love the warm color of the wood and shiny finish on this piece. Beautiful. I think you did a good job with the pic as well, shiny can be a challenge. Nice result.

Jon Nuckles
02-23-2011, 4:31 PM
That is beautiful and I cannot even imagine how much work it is to get every joint that tight. Great piece and great finish. It must be even better in person.

Doug W Swanson
02-23-2011, 4:53 PM
Wow. You did a great job with the gluing of this piece. The color, form and finish are all excellent!

John Keeton
02-23-2011, 5:04 PM
I have been wondering about you, Robert!! Great work on this one, and as is always the case, fantastic joinery and the form is very appealing! Good to see you back at it.

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2011, 5:20 PM
Well, I figured you were probably busy but 50 hours a week? Glad you found some time for turning! This is absolutely beautiful! Love the form, the wood looks alive with your finish and the color is just breathtaking! Exceptional joinery on this as well!

Hope this means you will be stopping in more often!

Roland Martin
02-23-2011, 6:06 PM
Great form, great finish, but EXCELLENT joinery. Very well done piece, Robert.

Roger Chandler
02-23-2011, 6:32 PM
That is a pretty one..............nice form, great joinery and beautiful finish. Bloodwood finishes up very nicely. Good job on this one!

Tony De Masi
02-23-2011, 6:37 PM
Beautiful piece Robert. I don't know how you segmenters have the patience for this kind of work. 50 hours a week? I hope it's at least in a different occupation as before.

Tim Thiebaut
02-23-2011, 6:40 PM
That is an absolutly beautiful piece...or pieces I should say, of wood, it almost appears translucent to me in some of those pictures, and I really like the vase form itself to, you did a wonderful job on this! I dont think I would have the patience for segmented work like this I would get to antsy.

Donny Lawson
02-23-2011, 7:18 PM
Great piece. It would have took me 50hrs to glue all those pieces together(at least).

Scott Hackler
02-23-2011, 7:22 PM
That is a great form (and finish) I like it a lot.

Harry Robinette
02-23-2011, 7:37 PM
Robert
Very nice,totally outstanding job on your work,joinery and finish.You really hit it with shape excellent job.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2011, 7:40 PM
Great piece Robert. Love the form and the finish. Yep now you are wondering how you had time for a full time job before.

Baxter Smith
02-23-2011, 8:04 PM
Great joinery Robert with a very nice shape and finish. Woods not bad either! When I first retired there weren't enough hours in the day to do all I wanted but I didn't think of it as work. Sounds like you are staying busy!

Richard Madden
02-23-2011, 9:33 PM
Guess I'll just echo what has already been said. Excellent joinery, and the finish is awsome!

Curt Fuller
02-23-2011, 9:36 PM
Wow Robert, that's a spectacular vase. The form in beautiful and your segmenting looks perfect. Very nice!

David E Keller
02-23-2011, 9:37 PM
That's gorgeous! Bloodwood is a favorite of mine because of that natural glow that you've emphasized so well. I hope your future holds more time for turning... That retirement sounds like a lot of work.