PDA

View Full Version : First hollow form (I cheated)

Jon Nuckles
02-23-2011, 3:45 PM
I ordered my monster system a couple of weeks ago, but I still have a bit of a wait before it arrives. In the meantime, my only hollowing tools are a bowl gouge and a scraper. Having admired the hollow forms all you talented folks post here, I couldn't resist trying one. I turned two shallow cherry bowls and glued them together, then turned the outside. It had a raised mouth around the opening, but I tightened my donut chuck too much and broke it. I don't know the exact dimensions, but it is about 4" high. The finish is shellac, and I still need a lot of practice finishing a turning. I spent way more time on the finishing than on the turning.

Please excuse the poor pictures, but acquiring a lathe, tools, grinder, etc., etc. in the last 3 months has prevented me from buying a decent camera and all that goes with that!

John Keeton
02-23-2011, 4:08 PM
Jon, looks like a fine piece to me!! There have been several HFs posted that are glue ups, including a few I have done. Some of them can get pretty involved, so you may be on to something here! Good practice, in any event as you are working on form, etc.

Now, turn a finial for that sucker!

Ron Stadler
02-23-2011, 4:19 PM
Yep, you did a fine job cheating. Like John said, sometimes it take alot of work to do what you did and maybe harder than the real thing. Anyway, one more thought on your hf, I have seen some people add a detail ring of some sort at the point of glue up to hide or disguise the seam a little, just a thought but you did well.

bob svoboda
02-23-2011, 4:29 PM
Very nice, especially for a first. I probably would have missed the glue-up if you hadn't pointed it out.

Mark Hubl
02-23-2011, 4:36 PM
Very good for a first. I wouldn't call clamshellin it cheatin. I imagine this can be pretty challenging. I know there are several artists out there that use the technique on wide and flat forms. If you have not seen the pieces John did, take a look at his gallery. That will give some ideas when you are waiting on your hollowing system. By the way, are you in one of the Chicago Clubs?

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2011, 7:06 PM
Jon - looks pretty good to me! Maybe it's just me but I spend lots more time finishing than actual turning! Many times it takes 1/2 an hour to finish turn something but I will take an hour or more to get the surface the way I want before applying finish!

At this stage of the game for you - don't worry about time - either turning or finishing. Just have fun with it and see where it leads!

Baxter Smith
02-23-2011, 8:16 PM
Looks good to me. It took some skill to do that even though it might not be the skill you wanted to be practicing at the moment!

David E Keller
02-23-2011, 9:50 PM
I don't see any cheating. I just see a nice looking HF. Kudos!

Jon Nuckles
02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks to all for your kind comments. Mark, I haven't joined or attended a meeting of any of the Chicago area clubs yet. I am a bit reclusive and the meeting places are all a tough drive from the city in traffic, but I plan to overcome both those obstacles soon. Steve, the time it takes me is a multiple of the times you mentioned, but I am just having fun and feel no need to get faster yet. Unfortunately, the turning and sanding are much quicker than actually applying the finish and then sanding it off when it doesn't look good and starting all over again!

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Jon that is a nice looking HF and don't see a thing wrong. There are many ways of turning a piece.

Dave Ogren
02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I thought that glueing two or more pcs. together was called segmenting not cheating. Looks great.

Dave

Jim Underwood
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Not cheating! And a nice job to boot.

Take a look at Brian McEvoy's website for some pretty nice two piece HFs... And ideas to get your creative mind spinning:

http://www.onegoodturn.ca/

Bill Bolen
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
There is more than one way to turn a hollow form! Excellent job on this one. I have also found the finishing process takes a lot more time than the turning/hollowing...Bill..