PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about reverse osmosis systems

Matt Meiser
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
We've been thinking about getting a reverse osmosis system for a while now for coffee water, drinking water, etc. When we first moved to this house the company we got our softener from offered a deal to rent one at low cost. After a while when the promotional price ended we had them take it out. I'm noticing buildup in the coffee machines and we never make ice at home anymore because we don't like the taste. With drilling our well deeper we've been thinking its as good a time as any to get it done.

I talked to the softener company and they gave me a price of $850 to buy or $25/mo to rent. We were just about to tell them we'd rent but then I did some more looking and it looks like buying online we can get the same thing for in the $200-250 range. I'm shying away from the big box store models because it seems like most of them use proprietary cartridges. I found a Watts on Overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Five-stage-EPA-ETV-Osmosis-Water-Filter-System/3647337/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=671FF74C-C507-E011-B690-001517384909&mr:referralID=NA) and this one at "Reverse Osmosis Superstore (http://www.reverseosmosis.com/products/Pro%252dSeries-4-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-System.html) that seem to use industry-standard parts. The latter looks JUST like the one the water softener company sells (and there's mention at the bottom of that page that dealers sell similar systems for $800-1000.

The advantage of renting is that they provide all maintenance, filters, service, etc. The disadvantage is that years 2+ we basically pay enough to completely replace the system if I'm comparing apples to apples. But there's the rub--I don't know how to compare quality and filtration? Is 4 vs. 5 stage a real difference besides in filter cost?

Maintence-wise it seems like both systems use the same types of standard filters and a standard RO membrane. Parts seem inexpensive, if say the tank goes bad after several years.

Bryan Morgan
02-23-2011, 2:58 PM
I got this one from Filter Direct:

http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30

6 stage RO/DI. I needed it more for my reef tank than drinking water but I do also use it to drink and cook with. Despite the price, its all really high quality stuff. You can buy replacement filters from them or I found the the 2 main filters at Home Depot and they fit fine. The membrane and the 3 cartridge filter I buy from them but you don't have to replace them that often. The DI stage is some weird little green crystal things that you swap out once a year or so. You only have to replace 1/2 at a time. With any of these if you don't have enough water pressure in your house it takes forever to filter any usable amount of water, though I think they also sell booster pumps. Its basically the same thing Home Depot sells for 500 or 600 bucks. These people actually build them so thats why they are $150. Their shop is right around the corner from where I work so I usually just willcall the filters and stuff I need.

If you don't need the ultra pure water you can get by without the DI stage. In fact, the drinking line comes off a state or 2 before the last stage. The ultra pure water tastes kind of gross anyway. It almost burns when it goes down.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2011, 4:32 PM
They have a good price on a 5-stage system. Theirs looks just like the one I linked to which I suspect means that the various components are probably readily available to anyone who wants to buy them and assemble them into a system.

Raymond Fries
02-23-2011, 9:49 PM
We purchased ours about 6 years ago and love it. Their design is the only one that uses clean water to wash the membrane. There are many choices and others will also deliver good clean water.

Reverse Osmosis is the way to go. I work for a food manufacturer and our water is tested twice a year. The reports show many chemicals that do not appear in the public water reports. They are small and we surmise that there is a minimum threshold before a chemical has to be reported.

I would also like to add that my wife's Fibromyalgia went away after switching to reverse osmosis water. The same happened for both of my daughters. We believe it is the flouride. There are many studies that show it is harmful.

I encourage everyone to switch to reverse osmosis water.

Good Luck shopping for one that meeds your likes and needs.

Dan Friedrichs
02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Matt, we used a 2-stage filter for a year or so before the housing broke and I switched to a RO system. As I understand it, most of the filters are industry-standard sized, so you won't be betroth to a particular company.

That one on overstock looks like a good deal.

The filters and membrane rarely need to be changed (every 6mos or year or longer, depending on your use). The water tastes great.

If it is really RO, I don't think there can be a difference in the level of filtration - the only thing that should be able to permeate the membrane is water.

Bryan Morgan
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
They have a good price on a 5-stage system. Theirs looks just like the one I linked to which I suspect means that the various components are probably readily available to anyone who wants to buy them and assemble them into a system.

Supposedly the Filter Direct guys make them for other people. They aren't the nicest so I don't really chat with them, just get what I need and leave.

Alan Trout
02-24-2011, 3:17 PM
I have installed several over the years and this by far is the best I have ever used. It is a Merlin Reverse Osmosis filter made by GE. I has a 720 gallon a day capacity and has no storage tank. It has two huge membranes. It is a great system. Not the cheapest but works the best that I have seen. http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/reverse_osmosis.htm

Good Luck

Alan

Matt Meiser
02-24-2011, 4:06 PM
I'm considering spending a little extra and getting the RO + DI system Bryan linked to. It sounds like DI water could be used in my CPAP machine's humidifier saving the hassle of buying 12+ gallons of distilled water a year. Not a great expense, but neither is the DI upgrade. And my daughter wants to set her little aquarium back up so we could use the water for that too--something we've struggled with because I read you can't use softened water, we couldn't use our unsoftened water because of the high iron levels, and apparently buying distilled water wasn't a good idea either from something I read.

Troy Turner
02-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Matt -

We just bought this last weekend http://www.lowes.com/pd_129808-43353-WHER255_4294857204_4294937087_?productId=3130235&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Water%2BFiltration%2BWater%2BSofteners_42948572 04_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0| |p_product_quantity_sold|1

Had a Culligan before...had a run in with them on the water softener and said I wouldn't do business with them again. We did without for a couple of years and our coffee pot and such paid the price. Bought this one and got it hooked up in about 2 hours. HUGE difference. No more film in the coffee pot, or tea jug. It's sad, but we were excited when we could actually see the other side of the tea jar :) Man, what had we been missin...LOL They do make a huge difference. We live in West Texas and the water here has a high concentrate of "stuff" in it.

I like the tank because it gives you good pressure on the water when you open it up. Tapped it into my fridge too for extra filtration. If you go that route, pick up a 3/8" T with 1/4" on top to run your line.

Plus, since they have a "tankless" model now, Lowe's had it for $149.

Matt Meiser
03-01-2011, 9:57 PM
I went ahead and ordered the one Bryan recommended. With an upgraded faucet to mach our existing faucet and enough supplies for 3 years of operation, the total was $299.

Bryan Morgan
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I went ahead and ordered the one Bryan recommended. With an upgraded faucet to mach our existing faucet and enough supplies for 3 years of operation, the total was $299.

I think you will be happy with it. I'm on my second one as I left my old one in my old house, about 6 years ago. Had the one in that house for about 4 years, this one I installed right away when we moved in. My friend has bought 3 (he's actually the one that told me about these systems) from 3 different moves. His last one is all plumbed with float valves and stuff to automatically top off his massive reef tank he built into the side of his dining room. Only issue I ever had was on the latest one I developed a small leak on the pressure tank valve. Just popped it off and made sure I had enough teflon tape on it this time and made sure it was tight. Never had another issue.

Matt Meiser
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Our system showed up Tuesday but I had to head out of town Wednesday for work so I installed it tonight and just purged out the first tankful which you aren't supposed to drink. I mounted it in the basement under the kitchen right near our softener and well tank. There was already a valve from a system we briefly rented when we first moved here, a hole in the cabinet, and one in the sink so it was just a matter of making a mounting board with a shelf for the tank and installing everything. While it is refilling I got a little water out and it tastes great.

By the way the mounting board and shelf are 3/4" fir plywood with pocket hole screw joinery for the shelf.

David G Baker
03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Matt,
Did you use soft water to supply the unit or did you use straight well water?

Matt Meiser
03-12-2011, 8:49 AM
Its using the softened water.

David G Baker
03-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Matt.

BOB OLINGER
03-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Matt,

Good luck; likely a good choice. You purchased before I had the chance to advise you, IMO, to stay away from Rainsoft. I purchased their unit about 2 yrs ago and frankly, I think it's a rip off. The unit cost like $6-800. It looks the same as some of these on the replies. The biggest rip off is the cost of replacement filters. The local Rainsoft sells the one (of the 3) filter for like $150; I can buy the same one online for about $40. The other 2 filters are like 30% the cost online. I would not recommend Rainsoft RO systems.

Bryan Morgan
03-13-2011, 1:01 PM
Its using the softened water.

Do you have a TDS meter? I'm curious what the before and after readings would be. I've thought about getting a whole house softener as our water is pretty hard here.

Matt Meiser
03-13-2011, 2:15 PM
No, I probably should have bought one with the system.

Matt Meiser
08-24-2011, 11:00 PM
As a 6 month or so followup, the system Bryan recommended is working well for us. Pretty much any drinking water and all water for the coffee pots comes from it. There I've really noticed the difference in the lack of mineral deposits. Same goes for the DI water I've been using in my CPAP machine's humidifier--every bit as good as the distiller water we were buying for that.

Chen-Tin Tsai
08-25-2011, 9:29 AM
Hi, Matt. I'm glad you've made a status update; I've been thinking about a RO system as well, since the water here tastes "minerally". How difficult was the installation? How much room does it take up under the sink?

Matt Meiser
08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Installation was very easy for me but we had previously rented a system so there was already a valve on the water line out of the softener for the supply and there was already a hole in the sink with a cap over it for the faucet. I mounted it in our basement under the kitchen. I just mounted a piece of 3/4" ply on the wall with a wood shelf built in to hold the pressure tank. Then it was just a matter of running the various lines. The drain for ours just goes to the nearby sump pump crock.

Bryan Morgan
08-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Good to hear! I've had mine since I moved in a number of years ago. Just have to replace the filters from time to time and I think I've replaced the RO membrane a couple times (it recommends once a year I think... I don't do this). I've worn out a couple ball valves but I use them every other day to top off my aquarium.