PDA

View Full Version : Random Orbit Sander - Variable Speed?

Jason Pinsonneault
02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
So while using my random orbit sander yesterday, I began to wonder, have i ever really used the variable speed feature?

so i ask you guys do you adjust the speed on your random orbit sander
if so, when and for what reason?

Jason

Kyle Iwamoto
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Well, for me, at first I had NO idea wat that dial on the top did. Who needs instructions? So after a month or so, I noticed that dial. What's the "3" for? Hmm. It goes up to "6". WOWEEE!!!. So yes, I use my less than turbo setting, when I sand my soundboards on my ukes. Other than that, it's on max. AFTER I found it goes higher than "3".:o

Montgomery Scott
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I would not own a ROS without that feature. When working on panels with thin veneer I prefer to have it on a low setting.

Mike Henderson
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I would not own a ROS without that feature. When working on panels with thin veneer I prefer to have it on a low setting.
+1 I do the same.

Mike

Jason Pinsonneault
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
hmm thanks guys, love to hear some more views on this becasue id have to check for certain wat setting its at but i think mines at its highest setting and i really cant recall any time that ive changed it, does it make me a bad wood worker? lol or i guess id have to look and see if the high setting is the same as one thats not variable.

Rob Cunningham
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
I use the lowest setting on my ROS when rubbing out a finish with Abralon pads.

Mikail Khan
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Slower material removal rate may be required, so I drop the speed.

Less noise and vibration.

MK