PDA

View Full Version : HF - The good and the bad

BOB OLINGER
02-23-2011, 9:22 AM
I know this subject has been kicked around, but I haven't seen much lately. Given my experiences, I thought I'd like to share.

The following are a few items purchased from HF, some at store, some by website, and comments on each:

- Dust collection kit - get 2 lengths (likely about 10'each) of 4" hose (seems very good quality, 10 clamps, a wye, a couple blast gates, table saw collector. Everything but the table saw collector were great and used. In fact, I ordered more blast gates. I'd highly recommend this item.

- Floor cushion mats - not the thickest, but priced right, and appear they'll be a good value. I'd buy again.

- SAE and Metric combination wrenches - I bought a large set of each. I'm only an occasional user, they appear to be a very good value for such use.

- Digital calipers - they have several models, I bought mine about 10 months ago, works good, found out I use it more than ever thought.

- Just ordered a couple of floor stands with rollers for my table saw, planer, etc. Haven't rec'd them yet, but look like a good value.

-Bar clamps (about 12" size) - I bought about 6 8-10 mos. ago at the store. I tried each of them at the store in attempt to insure they held. But after a little use at home, one is worthless, the balance are very weak - proceed with caution on these,

- Bought a package of 2 mag type flashlights (one 3-D cells, the other 2 AAA cells). The large one is OK, but I'd not buy again. The small one quit working, and I've not taken enough time in attempt to find the problem.

Michael Peet
02-23-2011, 9:37 AM
I bought sandpaper and Evapo-rust at HF, and I wouldn't get the sandpaper again.

Mike

Bob Riefer
02-23-2011, 9:42 AM
The c-clamps I bought there have held up so far.

The quick clamps (like the irwin style) both broke on the very first use.

Bar clamps... so far, decent but I haven't used them hard yet.

Robert Rolfe
02-23-2011, 9:50 AM
As a working class poor person who goes into Woodcraft and drools, I get what i can when i can. If it was not for HF i would not be able to own much at all.
My happy buys;
The red 5 drawer service cart! When its on sale for 159.00 a steal! Best box for the money period.
4 foot aluminium bar clamps for 11.99 very strong so far.
i have a few of the quick release bar clamps, used them to make my bench top! The ratchet clamps suck! will not hold more than cardboard together.
I have the 1 1/2 HP plunge router so far so good, in hindsight maybe would have gotten it's big brother for the 1/2 inch chuck over the 1/4. {more bits}
The hand power planer rocks!
Got a set of the Fostner bits, work like a charm.
Got the 49.00 benchtop drill press [keyed chuck don't by the keyless], no problems except like most, no really much drill depth.
The last thing i got was the 10inch woodworking vise for under 40.00 with coupon. Sold out but they sold me the display! Wish it was quick release.
So in conclusion, so far my only not buy again is the ratcheting clamps.

Bill Huber
02-23-2011, 9:53 AM
The c-clamps I bought there have held up so far.

Bar clamps... so far, decent but I haven't used them hard yet.

Agree on the quick clamps....

My boss at work is an HF guy, it buys everything there. He bought 8 of the quick clamps and was telling me how great they were and how cheap they were. I had him bring them in and out of the 4 he brought in 3 of the would not grip much at all before they started to slip.

david brum
02-23-2011, 9:54 AM
There are definitely some bargains at HF. I have about 30 of the 6" F clamps. I had one bad one, but the rest have held up well under fairly brutal treatment. I paid less than $2 each on sale. It's a hard deal to beat if you need a whole bunch for a lamination.

I also like the aluminum bar clamps. They aren't the best choice for forcing a joint together, but they're great for when you need a bunch of clamps for edge gluing shelving or building plywood boxes. You can clamp on 6 or 8 of them and still be able to move whatever you're working on. I think I paid $6 each for 36". I don't recommend the 60" clamps.

They also have great deals on toggle clamps, at least half what you'd pay elsewhere. The quality seems totally acceptable. I've paid $5 each for them.

Acid brushes are a bargain as well. When they run a sale ( nearly always) you can get a bag of ( I think) 50 for $4.

WY vices. I have added a 6" XY vice to my DP and a 4" vice to my mortiser. Couldn't live without then. One sale around $40 each.

David Hostetler
02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
I have quite a bit of HF stuff in my shop, mostly because I am on a bit of a budget... Most of it has actually been decent, some has been a down right waste of money....

32208 14" 3 speed band saw (the old model) Good reliable basic band saw. This one won out over the Ridgid and Delta models at Home Depot and Lowes. I would have preferred a Grizzly G0555, but this will do quite nicely. The new model seems to fix a few annoyances such as the rattling wheel doors, and the short tension rod. I hot rodded mine with the Grizzly tension release, riser block, cool blocks, cobra coil mobile base, Craftsman band saw fence, assortment of Timberwolf blades, wheel brush, and link belts all for less money that the G0555P (without the shipping upcharge).

34706 12x36 lathe. Took a few minutes cleaning and adjusting to get the headstock and tailstock to line up, but other than that it's been a great lathe. Just as good as any of the other Jet 1236 clones on the market...

97869 2HP dust collector. Good basic unit, lousy bag. Upgrade to a Wynn filter and be a happy camper... Best buy if you are looking for a single stage collector. Far and away inferior to say a 5HP Clearvue cyclone, but then again, if you can afford one of those, you won't even look at a HF 2HP DC would you?

98194 12" sliding compound miter saw. Followed the instruction book to dial it in, and threw away the OEM garbage blade in favor of a Diablo 80T, makes dead on accurate miters, cuts just as clean and accurate as the Festool I drool over at Rockler, just not as quiet or dust free. I haven't had this one very long, but have used the snot out of it in the time I have had it, it is holding up just fine so far. No odd noises or looseness...

40004 2HP 8 gallon air compressor. It works. Powers my nail guns, impact wrench, airs up tires etc.. It's a bit puny to run a spray gun with, but it CAN be made to work...

98733 21 deg framing nailer. Big, bulky, powerful. Drives the nails all the way in, doesn't seem to jam. So far I have built 2 fences, a shed, and repaired some hurricane damaged framing in a friends attic with it. Worth the money to me.

66995 23 ga pin nailer. Drives the pins just fine, jam free.

66872 16ga finish nailer. Quality control on these is somewhat lacking. The first one I had was missing a wrist pin in the piston. The second has already blown out the gasket in the top of the housing... I need to see if I can get a replacement without replacing the gun. I am worried somehow it would be worse...

97524 Nailer / Stapler combo gun. Shoots staples just fine. Don't bother using it as a nailer. Tends to make dimples in nailer mode...

38425 Hole Saw set. Don't bother. Cups not round, pilot bit won't cinch down, just bad product...

Various item #s. Sanding sponges. Great if you get them on sale cheap. They tend to fall apart faster than the big name sanding sponges, but they do the job well enough for the money...

Various item #s. F style bar clamps. A great bargain, in some ways better than the Jorgenson (at least the HF clamps come with clamp pads, the Jorgensons don't), in some ways worse (I can see a HF clamp failing before a Jorgenson...). I have almost 50 of them and have had only one failure. HF swapped it out no questions asked. I am actually shocked to see the bad reports on these that I do. I use mine HARD and they are holding up fine.

31255 3/4" pipe clamps. I haven't used them much, but they have worked well when I have used them.

Item # unknown, the big I think 18 pc spring clamp set. These are plastic resin clamps, but the work fine, are cheap, have great holding power, adjustable pads etc... Just don't drill through them and you are fine. Don't ask me how I know that...

34102 Dovetail jig. I never could get it to work, but I didn't try futzing with it. When I bought it I thought it was a through jig, not a half blind... It's simply not what I wanted...

Unknown item # 9" quick release woodworking vise. I am getting less and less impressed with this one. The quick release doesn't work all that reliably, and the machining on the vise faces isn't exactly square... I should take this back, but I think they don't make them any more... Every now and again Woodcraft puts the Jet 9" quick release on sale for under $100.00, I am going to upgrade when it comes up again. I might get my BIL to see if he can square up the jaws on the HF (he has access to a machine shop).

Neil Brooks
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I would vote that this sort of thread become a sticky.

My philosophy is pretty simple:

Would you be heart-broken if it broke on you ?
Would you be INJURED if it broke on you ?
Would you lose valuable time/money if it broke on you ?
Would you be hugely upset if you had to supplement missing or lousy hardware ?

Then ... don't buy it at HF.

For everything else ... I'll roll the dice, periodically :)

Love that 2HP DC, though :D

james glenn
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I mentioned this in another thread a while ago, but their link belt is pretty good. And it's made in the USA!!!

I've had good luck so far with:

Alumn. bar clamps
Fostner bits (even after drilling nearly 80 1"holes in the downdraft table thru (2) 3/4" plywd sheets they still work decent enough)
Scroll Saw for what little use it gets
the wood handle paint brushes for the un-important jobs and if you soak it in soap and water for a bit, they work great for sauce brushes at the grill
Floor mats
of course the Dust Collector
the speed square works well for framing
the chalk line chalk does its job

Junk things

any blades, holes saws, drill bits
cordless drill driver (batteries don't hold much charge and quickly won't charge at all)
ratcheting quick clamps

Dan Friedrichs
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
The quick-grip-type clamps may break easily, but it's because the use a little plastic pin for the handle to pivot on. If you open them up, you can replace it with a bolt. You can also shim the clutch mechanism a little so that it holds onto the bar tighter.

I bought a dozen of them when they were on sale for $1.99. I've opened about half of them and fixed them, and now they work great.

Paul Symchych
02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a HF close to home and sometimes buy things that are a one-time-use item or something I won't use all that much. Mixed results.
Their reciprocating saw is cheap and works well. Probably not something a pro would want. I use it to prune palm fronds and have pruned tree limbs up to 6". On a ladder it is safer than a chain saw.
The sandpaper from India is garbage.

David Weaver
02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I bought sandpaper and Evapo-rust at HF, and I wouldn't get the sandpaper again.

Mike

I have had fine experience with the zirconia alumina belts, but everything else has been pretty junky. The zirconia alumina belts aren't cheap, either, so there's no reason to run to HF to get them for $5 per for a 4x36 belt (which I use to grind metal, not for woodworking). They are cheaper than that every day at supergrit.

Myk Rian
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a 2hp DC that works good.
Also bought a 21 gal. 3hp 230volt compressor. After some hard use sand blasting, the head gaskets melted and plugged up the reed valves. I made new ones out of gasket material and it works great now.

Lee Schierer
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I've purchased a few items from HF.

One was a digital caliper for my shop. The price was right and I won't feel bad if it fails. The original dial type I had died due to exposure to sawdust. The digital one seems immune.

I've also purchased a cheap digital volt meter that I carry in my tool belt. I don't need accuracy, just need to know if there is voltage or continuity.

I purchased several 4" and 5" C-clamps. They seem to work well, the price was right and they are great for wood working.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
The quick-grip-type clamps may break easily, but it's because the use a little plastic pin for the handle to pivot on. If you open them up, you can replace it with a bolt. You can also shim the clutch mechanism a little so that it holds onto the bar tighter.

I bought a dozen of them when they were on sale for $1.99. I've opened about half of them and fixed them, and now they work great.

I am so impressed Dan... seriously.

I was thinking of starting a new church (figuratively speaking)

GUILE the new religion.

I like your style. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.png

Brett Clark
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Central Machinery Benchtop Drill Press - well, it makes holes NOT it makes holes well
Central Machinery Mini-lathe - Good cheap way to find out if you would like to turn, works OK but was wanting to replace after the first couple of projects.
Pittsburg lathe tools ($20 set) = Run away....
Couple of spring clamps = OK
Couple of 5" screw wood clamps = work OK

I avoid HF, not because the tools are cheap, but the because the closest store is such a dump. Honesty they could sweep the floor a coupe of times a year and replace a few those fluorescent fixtures.

Mark ten Haaf
02-23-2011, 1:45 PM
I've always been hesitant. The only items I've purchased at HF are:
6" digital calipers - work very well
1/8" pneumatic pencil grinder - 5 years of engraving concrete with no problems
quick clamps - they live in a landfill now

I've been contemplating a drill press...still not so sure.

Neil Brooks
02-23-2011, 2:46 PM
I avoid HF, not because the tools are cheap, but the because the closest store is such a dump. Honesty they could sweep the floor a coupe of times a year and replace a few those fluorescent fixtures.

Ours is relocation, remodeling, and more than doubling its size.

I'm hoping the bright, shiny, new store doesn't lull people into a false sense of confidence ;)

Ruhi Arslan
02-23-2011, 2:52 PM
Same here. I wouldn't even consider them disposable since quite a few of them broke at first use. Either the casing splits open or the ratchet jumps not holding any pressure.

Dave Lehnert
02-23-2011, 3:02 PM
I think over the last year or so HF has upgraded things. Their prices has also gone up.
The overall appearance of the store has also been upgraded.
Sandpaper is exactly as advertised. Sand on paper LOL!!!

I know people who refuse to shop there but there are some fantastic bargains to be found.

Jon McElwain
02-23-2011, 3:46 PM
Ear muffs. I bought 4 pair (two with plastic head band, two with the metal wire head band). The attachment on one of the plastic head band ones finally broke after 2 years of frequent use - it was cold when it broke, like -20 cold, so that was surely a factor. One of the pivoting plastic attachments to the ear piece slipped off and had worn too much to stay on. I ended up drilling a little hole and using a washer and tiny screw to secure the pivot attachment - that has held up now for about 5 years. I would buy these again.

bought some allen wrenches - soft metal junk.

heat gun - hotter than my wifes hair dryer, but chord is so stiff as to make the tool hard to operate.

4.5" angle grinder - only light use, has not stopped spinning. Same power chord issue as heat gun.

14 ga. extension chord - stay away from these fire hazards!!!!!!!

+1 on junky store in my area, although I see they have built a brand new huge one in a prominent location in the last couple of months. My visits to HF are about once every year or two, too many crappy items that I would just rather pay a little more for elsewhere. Power Chords, attachments, switches, etc. seem to be culprits for failure or difficult functionality.

I have a friend who is always telling me what a great deal he got on tool "X" from HF, then a month later asks to borrow the same tool because his broke.

BOB OLINGER
02-23-2011, 3:59 PM
Since I started this thread, I'll add a few more comments.

I didn't even know HF existed until I became a Sawmill Creeker about 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I wondered what this HF thing was. So, I searched and found a store in Des Moines, about 40 mi. away. My first visit about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. ago was short and brief - a quick walk through the store (not the largest or nicest) and thought I'd never return. About 1 yr ago I needed some floor mats, so thought about HF again. I was in KC and found a store, made a stop and bought the floor mats, a set of 3/8" sockets (sparingly use at best, but when you need them, you need them), a set of digital calipers on sale, and a few more small items.
Most items turned out good. Since then, I've become intrigued with the store. In my opinion, I think the merchandise has a fit, some obviously a better fit than others, but a definite place in filling needs.

Van Huskey
02-23-2011, 4:00 PM
heat gun - hotter than my wifes hair dryer, but chord is so stiff as to make the tool hard to operate.

4.5" angle grinder - only light use, has not stopped spinning. Same power chord issue as heat gun.

The "chords" are so stiff because they are always trying to stay straight between B and X! :D Sorry couldn't resist.

Jim Rimmer
02-23-2011, 4:15 PM
I think most of their hand tools are cheap junk. I plan on buying a multi-tool when I need one because I obviously won't use it much (or I would already have one). I bought a strap on magnifier for close work and for the price it was OK. It was under $10 and I just wanted to find out if that was what I really needed. Will probably buy a better one soon. The one I bought has a bend in the middle of the lens so it causes some distortion but it did convince me that the idea was good; I just need a better one. I also bought a box of loupes of various strengths and use them quite a bit for splinter removal, eyeglass repair, changing my watch band. It's hard to read the magnification factor (embossed letters, black on black) and you have to squint like an old Englishman with a monocle but for what I use them for they were worth $5.

Chris Tsutsui
02-23-2011, 4:26 PM
I like harbor freight because of the 20% coupons and that i can buy a lot of one time use tools every now and then for dirt cheap.

I put their 2HP DC in a packing warehouse and ran it 8 hours a day 5 days a week for months during a job and it allowed me to pass safety inspection and only cost like $155 after coupon on the sale price of $189. Now it just sits in a corner collecting dust... I mean it's not being used right now. :)

Marty Paulus
02-23-2011, 4:43 PM
4" angle grinder for $20 is worth the money. 12" quick grip clamps are like Dan said. They need to have the soft plastic pivots replaced. I have about 12 and 2 need the modification so far. The battery minders that keep up unused 12V batteries are OK to keep the boat batteries up while the sit in the garage. I also have a 7" buffer that I bought for $40 for the boats to do the exterior spring compounding and waxing that is as good as a friends $150 Milwalkee. We use 3M pads so all you are really paying for is the motor. On my list of things to get is the dust collector and the aluminum floor jack when it goes on sale for $60. My uncle has one and it is a huge difference over my 3 ton solid steel Craftsman when you have to move it around. I don't have anything that I really need the 3 ton capacity to lift right now.

Van Huskey
02-23-2011, 4:50 PM
I have seen the angle grinders mentioned a couple of times, I have one and it works, haven't been able to kill it (I use it for things that might indeed kill a AG) BUT be aware I wouldn't suggest theirs if you plan to use one for extended periods, the vibration can be hand numbing. The better ones don't have near the vibration but for short term use the HF ones are fine.

Peter Pedisich
02-23-2011, 5:18 PM
Has anyone mentioned the HF 'Windsor Design' #33 hand plane that seems to be well liked?
It looks to be a copy of a German plane by Tillmanns & Maier. Except it's $9.99!
here is the Tillmanns & Maier:
http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/bankhobel/schlichthobel61.jpg
and here is the #33 from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_3888.jpg

Jon McElwain
02-23-2011, 5:18 PM
The "chords" are so stiff because they are always trying to stay straight between B and X! :D Sorry couldn't resist.

Well if the power chords took calculus, they would know that by increasing the number of "chords" towards infinity, then they would be able to look more like an arc than a straight line...

Alan Schwabacher
02-23-2011, 5:35 PM
One thing to keep in mind with HF is that the prices vary a lot, so an item that was a great deal for someone may not be such a good deal if you go looking for it and are not willing to wait for a good price. The store price, online price, catalog price, and coupon prices can all be different at the same time, and the coupon is not always lowest.

For instance, I was interested in the cycle tree http://www.harborfreight.com/cycle-tree-compact-bike-storage-2628.html
It was listed as $50 on the website, so when I got a catalog in the mail that showed a $30 price, I called to check that they were in stock, and drove down. The store price was $17. It is most definitely a gem at that price.

Van Huskey
02-23-2011, 6:14 PM
Well if the power chords took calculus, they would know that by increasing the number of "chords" towards infinity, then they would be able to look more like an arc than a straight line...

Festool power chords have indeed taken calculus, maybe even "Diffy Qs" but the HF chords were lucky to get through 7th grade geometry... :)

Jon McElwain
02-23-2011, 6:22 PM
Festool power chords have indeed taken calculus, maybe even "Diffy Qs" but the HF chords were lucky to get through 7th grade geometry... :)

Indeed....

Bruce Wrenn
02-23-2011, 9:59 PM
6" digital calipers, 6" dial calipers, 6" composite (plastic) calipers, dial indicator, magnetic base, silver tarps, multimeter (esp.when free), 6 in 1 nail gun, toggle clamps, four piece air line connector sets, retractable air hose reel, multi tool, zip ties, hole punches, transfer punches, heat gun, pancake compressor, grinder stand, air tool oil, air compressor oil, heat shrink tubing. These have all been a good buy, IMHO

Lewis Ehrhardt
02-24-2011, 1:01 AM
Here's my Harbor list:
Pneumatic roller seat: 46319, still going strong, 3 years old
A/C vacuum pump, did the job for one AC system so far
Reversible Hammer Drill: 67616, still working 3 years old
6-in-1 Framing nailer: 98751, about five years old, rarely jams, drives deep and fast
3-in-1 Rotary Hammer: 97743, does the job for a fraction of the cost
Grinder: 91223, got three or four of them, set up to grind, cut, etc. going strong
10 in. sliding compound saw: cuts just as good as my Milwalkee,
Punch set: 93424: still using after five years
Spring clamps: 67082, can't beat the price, still holding after three years
Swivel lock grip pliers: 37005, does what I've asked them to do so far
Industrial recipicating saw: 65298, sturdy built. Bought the cheap model first, it only lasted 3 years
Air hose: 2167, still using, about 8 years old
3/8 close Quarters drill: 92956, not much power, but did the job. don't use much but so far it's paid for itself
11-inch long reach pliers ;39538, gotten me out of many pinches
Mechanic gloves: 93641, holds up as well as the Craftsmans gloves I've bought
Digital meter: 98025, not real accurate, but close enough for a throw-away meter
Submersible pump: 95591, about one and a half years old, use several times a week
Solar lights--last about 6 months
Pittsburgh wrench set, good back up set
Oscillating multi-function tool: cuts just as good as Fein and my Dremel
Centech 7' level: it's level
Auto-darkening welding helmet: 91214, using for 3 years now, still working well
Cut out tool: 42831, does the job,
Wet/tile saw--cuts the tiles five years old
Multi-purpose magnet (welding) 1938, very attractive
Morse Jacobs for lathe, haven't used yet

Sanding Sponges: waste of money
Drill bits, bought a set, use a good bit, but always with cutting oil, lasting so far
Trailer jack, doing good after 6 years
12 ton jack--8 years old, doing good
Pry bar, most have snapped on my under pressure, junk IMO
Quick connect air fittings, some have leaked, but if I stay with the same family, they seem to work okay
Bought numerous tires, some work okay, some havent, but for the money, I'd buy again
Bought a quick disconnect vise, haven't used yet
Wood chiesels, good disposable for general construction throw-aways
Portable metal band saw: I've cut a lot of metal with it and it's still going strong. You will need to take the wheels off and grease them thoroughly
Work gloves: good for the money
Japanese pull saw, small one: used for several years now, still cuts well and fast

Over all, I've been satisfied with the tools I've bought. They do the job and can't beat the price.

Norman Hitt
02-24-2011, 2:52 AM
I have seen the angle grinders mentioned a couple of times, I have one and it works, haven't been able to kill it (I use it for things that might indeed kill a AG) BUT be aware I wouldn't suggest theirs if you plan to use one for extended periods, the vibration can be hand numbing. The better ones don't have near the vibration but for short term use the HF ones are fine.

There are several models of these they rotate in and out of the stores. The first one I bought about 6 yrs ago for a one time project, (an orange one, 4.5" on sale for $12 +) but it got so hot I couldn't hold it and had the roughness/vibration you mentioned. I took the gear case apart and there might have been a teaspoon of something that looked like vaseline for grease in it. I cleaned it and packed it full of good gear grease and it ran cool and smooth. I then found all kinds of uses for it and after running through a whole box of metal grinding discs and a box of masonry discs, I decided it was worth replacing if it went bad. The next sale at $14 I bought two, one to leave at my daughters house and a spare for me. Much to my surprise, I'm still using the first one and have never opened the box on the spare, it just won't die.:D I have had the same luck with the reciprocating saw at about $20 on sale, and I use it for metal some but mostly trimming and cutting up trees (up to about 6") and I put one at the daughters house and you guessed it, I still haven't opened the box on my spare yet.:D

I have "quite"( a few other HF tools & things that work well too and a few that weren't any good, but I AM Selective about what I purchase there. I keep some of them close to my Mini Max machines (to give them Inspiration), :D some by my Powermatic, (to let them know they are a keeper),;) and a FEW by my Craftsman stuff, (to let them know that ONE MORE screwup, and they're history).:D

I might mention that I bought an electrical Conduit ID/OD Deburring tool that was a good deal price wise and works great.
One cutting tool that for the price is pretty good is their 1/4" Spiral upcut router bit. The other sizes are probably good too, but our store only seems to carry the 1/4".
My 7' level is both Straight AND Accurate.
I'm NOT a Turner, BUT the (heavy cast Iron model) HF Lathe that my buddy gave me when he upgraded has worked very well for anything that I have actually needed to turn.
One trim router was acceptable (for mortising for hinges, but the other one's collar has a tendency to release bits........
I had to do a LOT of filing on the finger plate on my buddy's Dovetail jig because they were so rough they would cut the guide bushings........ (I would NOT buy one).
The sanding sponges are so cheap (on sale) I keep a supply of coarse, medium and fine, and they work well for what I use them for. I do NOT buy their sandpaper.
The reversable Hammer Drill has worked great when I have needed it.
I keep a corded 3/8" 2500 RPM drill dedicated to my Kreg Pockethole Jig, (works well)
I have not used my self centering doweling Jig yet, but looks like it should work well enough for my minimal useage.
Heat gun & accessory kit is good
the small Japanese pull saw is great on small trim and cutting off plugs
floor mat/cushions are good
hvlp gun is good
masonry chisles are good
welding magnets are great
hose reel is fine
HF DC is waiting it's turn to get a Thein separator built, to use until I build up my Cyclone kit.

can't remember all the other stuff

In 1978, (before they had stores everywhere), I ordered a horizontal/vertical metal bandsaw for $85 (that are now $200+ IIRC) and it has been through the mill INCLUDING being dropped our of the back of a pickup (by a friends idiot buddy) and it bent the motor shaft, but it still runs and cuts 4" heavy wall pipe. I have only changed the guide bearings once and nothing else. I really would have liked to have bought a new "Pink" one when they were on sale but the funds just weren't there, but the original one has really earned a good retirement.

Bob Riefer
02-24-2011, 9:05 AM
Good to know about the wet/tile saw (posted above) I have some backsplash work to do and will check it out.

Also good to know about that tip on fixing the quick clamps.. if I find it works, those clamps will then become one of the nicer bargains in the store!

Forgot to mention... I've beat on casters (both locking and non-locking swivel casters.. 4" size is what I usually get) from HF for a long time with no ill effects.

I do own the 2 HP dust collector but have not hooked up my blast gates yet, so I can't report on that. But in initial tests, it works as intended and I paid $130 for it.

Carl Babel
02-24-2011, 1:53 PM
Marty, the latest Wood magazine has a HF add with the 2HP DC on sale for $139. Can't use the 20% off coupon in combination though.

Jon McElwain
02-24-2011, 2:07 PM
lucky to get through 7th grade geometry... :)

Without geometry, life is pointless.

Carl Babel
02-24-2011, 2:51 PM
I have been fairly selective. My HF list:

- The Excellent:
- 13 Drawer Red Industrial Quality Roller Cabinet, labeled U.S. General
I bought this because of all of the positive reviews (their site and others).
This thing is "as good", if not better than any that I have seen at any of the big boxes, Costco, Sears, etc.
I got mine at a great price: about $360, so watch the sales.
I had it shipped to my house. Their shipper of choice, while not fast, was relatively low cost and the cabinet arrived in perfect condition.
Disclaimer: I have never used a SnapOn (or any other in that price range).

- The Good:
- Link belt (someone else mentioned this).
I used it to upgrade my contractor table saw (only TS at that time).
Worked great (TS ran much smoother). Much cheaper than other alternatives.
- Hardwood handscrew clamps.
These work well, but clearly aren't as good as Jorgies, etc. (threads are inferior).
I use them for customizing and to hold small parts at router table. I haven't had any fail yet.

- The Bad:
- Sanding sponges: as others have said - don't waste your money/time.

I have bought other stuff (gloves, etc) but nothing really stands out as being exceptional (good or bad).

Bruce Benjamin
02-24-2011, 4:36 PM
I would vote that this sort of thread become a sticky.

My philosophy is pretty simple:

Would you be heart-broken if it broke on you ?
Would you be INJURED if it broke on you ?
Would you lose valuable time/money if it broke on you ?
Would you be hugely upset if you had to supplement missing or lousy hardware ?

Then ... don't buy it at HF.

For everything else ... I'll roll the dice, periodically :)

Love that 2HP DC, though :D

This philosophy works if you assume that everything that HF sells will break faster and easier than anything that anyone else sells. This obviously isn't the case as there are countless examples of people using HF tools/products under demanding conditions with good/great results, myself included. That being said, there certainly is some junk available there but in my experience it's usually fairly easy to spot. I wouldn't call it rolling the dice. I'd call it using your ability to look at something, hold it, and decide if it's going to be a reasonable purchase or not. While I have bought and returned a few items from HF because I wasn't happy with the quality, generally I've been satisfied with what I've bought from them. I've passed on a lot of junk too but that's no big deal to me. I've bought and returned stuff from well respected stores both online and brick and mortar.

Bruce

Alan Wright
02-24-2011, 5:31 PM
i live a couple miles from a store and love this place, but I'm VERY careful about what I buy. Some gems in my opinion are the latex gloves. Can't remember the prices, but I've compared and it's a great deal. Also, the 4" grinder I bought for $16 minus $3 with my 20% off coupon. I've had it 4 years and use it pretty regularly and it's still going strong. Also, I bought a digital caliper a couple years ago for about $15. I use it all the time to get exact thickness measurements, particulary when I'm using the planer.

keith ouellette
02-25-2011, 12:10 AM
I have the
-----2hp dust collector. It replaced a new jet 2hp that didn't last long (just got a lemon) and so far it works great. the bag is a joke though. its almost like not having a bag but mine is out side so...
----- metric and sae sockets. the ones that come in the black metal cases. ----use them all the time and no stripped nuts.
----- vise grip pliers and channel locks ---- worthless
----- quick clamps ---- took them back 2 days later and said they should be ashamed to sell them. HF didn't listen to me but gave me my money back
----- 18" and 24" bar clamps ( the black bar and blue handle) --- work fantastic but I'm not sure how well longer ones would work. at greater lengths they probably flex a lot
------ blue orbital sander --- excellent
----- 15 gage finish nailer (about 5 years ago) ------ left really big counter sink holes and jammed easy
----- little copper 10 pack solar lights----- very surprised how good at the price they were. I got the extended warrenty on 2 packs and brought all the bummers back in a couple of months so I would have all good ones. they work great (for the price mind you)
------ orbiting spindle sander---- I bought it with a coupon and for the price I paid I would say its great. used it a lot with no complaints.
------ 6 pack clear packing tape--- I have used about 30 roles of this stuff and wouldn't bother buying anything different.

Rich Engelhardt
02-25-2011, 6:34 AM
HF is simple to deal with.
Hang on to your sales slip & try out whatever you buy as soon as you get it home - or better yet - in the parking lot if you can.
If it breaks, take it back.

I got burned on a 21* framing nailer by waiting too long to use it. I bought it on sale months ahead of the actual time I planned on using it. When the time came to use it, it jammed constantly and required 125psi of air pressure just to set the few nails it did drive anywhere close to flush.

I also had a cheap ($4.99 on sale) air hammer die on me after 10 straight hours of use. I returned it for another, and that one lasted about 10 min before it quit. The replacement for that one was a DOA. It wouldn't work right out of the box. I ended up just tossing it since I figured I'd gotten my $5.00 worth out of the tool & it would have taken about that much in gas to drive back and forth to replace it.

Gems: - but as mentioned above by someone else - only when the sale price is right.
- Multi Function tool for $29.00
- Cotten drop cloths
- Cable ties
- 10 packs of 1/8" (and smaller) twist drill bits
- Digital calipers - just be sure to remove the battery between uses
- "button batteries"
- Head band flashlight <--worth it's weight in gold whenever you have to look under or work under a sink!!!!!
- Free flashlights. We have a half dozen of them scattered around the house & in each vehicle.

- 100 packs of #8 single edge razor blades. Everyone else (Borg/paint stores) sells #9 single edge blades. While the #9 is good for scraping, the #8 is far better for cutting. It's sharper and it's more flexible.

- Aluminum levels - just be sure to chek it. My 24" checked out fine against my 4' Johnson & it's been a real workhorse
- Rolls of plumber's emory cloth
- Rolls of teflon tape
- Small "mover's dolly".
- Goodyear rubber air hose. Best price on the planet about once a year when they go on sale.

So/so:
- Casters
- 10" pneumatic wheels
- Quick connects/air fittings

Paul Canaris
02-25-2011, 1:11 PM
IMHO

Do buy their wrenches, good value for the money as long as you're not a pro mechanic.
Do buy their tap and dye set - good value for the occasional user
Do buy their HSS drill bit sets and Forstner sets - great value for the money even with regular usage

Do not buy their woodowrker clamps of any style in general - 50% failure rate first try on numerous
Do not buy their pnuematic grease guns - worked two or three times
Do not buy - other items too numerous to list

As long as they continue to allow returns and refunds for items as noted above, I will likely continue to try things from time to time; if they ever change that policy...then nothing...just too risky.

Dan Hintz
02-25-2011, 1:49 PM
Picked up my fair share of good and bad deals there...

Good (so far):
Dust collector (red) - Noisy as a banshee, but continue to work well and pulls a good vacuum.
Angle grinder - Air driven, not electric, picked it up when I needed to do some wet work on hardened concrete. Went through a ton of discs, but it continues to work.
Screwdrivers - Okay for light duty, but real work is best left to the hardened-tip pro stuff.
Bar clamps - Work okay.
Digital calipers - Work great, but the auto-off feature doesn't work, so batteries die within a day or two if I forget to turn it off.
4' level - Great deal, plenty straight.
Electric metal shear - Surprised me, but it worked excellently on aluminum flashing... I could make near-perfect straight cuts by hand if I followed a line.
Hex wrenches - Metal entirely too soft to do any real hard turning.

Don Orr
02-25-2011, 2:00 PM
I have to agree about hit or miss.

My list of good includes:
-#2 Morse taper drill chick-have several for my lathes
-HSS turning tools-NOT the "tool steel" one-great for learning to sharpen turning tools
-right angle drill-still trying to kill my first one-keyed chuck
-diamond tip grinding burrs-do the job
-ear muffs for noise protection-have them by every machine
-brad nailers-they work
-various gloves
-Goodyear air hose-as has already been mentioned
-air hose reel-at least 6 years old-holds above hose
-chip brushes, acid brushes, artist brushes, various disposables
-welding magnets
-star (Torx) socket bits-when you need them you need them
-Evaporust
-Slime

You get the point. I have also had some junk too, but not much. I've had a few things that I got for a single use and considered disposable but still have them. I watch for sales and coupons. And I like the free flashlights too-they come with batteries.

Tom Ewell
02-25-2011, 2:07 PM
Most HF stuff I've acquired has a lot of age on them.

Several iterations of pneumatic paint spray rigs from pressure buckets to detail shooters including regular and HVLP. All are air hogs relative to the upgrade gear that I now use (airless and "modern" HVLP) but not bad for startup sets and I have sprayed a lot of trim with them.

Two dust collectors, a 20+ year old 1hp single bag that is still kickin' and built like the fabled brick outhouse compared to the newer 2hp job that most around here are familiar with.

Several pneumatic impact guns are OK but again they're old. A few sets of impact sockets which are great, lot's of use, hardly worn.

Flooring jacks, heavy and useful, OK

Misc. wrench sets thrown in there somewhere and would have to say that they are useful as a starter set.

Tried a few carpentry items like catspaws, prybars and the like but they don't hold up.

Pretty much it.

Ed Popiel
02-25-2011, 8:22 PM
Has anyone used the 6" x 9" belt disc sander?

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-48-inch-belt-and-9-inch-disc-combination-sander-6852.html

They have it on sale for $199 and with a 20% coupon comes out around $159.

Thanks

Brian Myers
02-25-2011, 9:01 PM
Sandpaper is exactly as advertised. Sand on paper LOL!!!

But not for very long - major waste of money.

Robert Rolfe
02-26-2011, 1:38 PM
But not for very long - major waste of money.

Slightly off topic but! Ocean state job lot has a load of Norton sandpaper in, contractor packs i think 20 sheets or so for 5 bucks , think their 1 foot squares, and had sand sponges, even some big ones

Robert Rolfe
02-26-2011, 1:40 PM
Has anyone used the 6" x 9" belt disc sander?

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-48-inch-belt-and-9-inch-disc-combination-sander-6852.html

They have it on sale for $199 and with a 20% coupon comes out around $159.

Thanks

I bought the 36inch bench top version, so far no complaints, except like all the other reviewers of them, no dust collection, got make your own rig.

shane lyall
02-26-2011, 2:17 PM

I bought a dozen of them when they were on sale for $1.99. I've opened about half of them and fixed them, and now they work great.. I need to give that a try. I stopped in for a few things and found them on sale. I had read the reports but for the price I thought I'd give them a look. I think I bought 4 12's and 2 18's. I used them for the first time last night with my Irwins but poped 3 of them. I broke the handle on 1 and I did see the plastic mounts. I may just take them back and go by the BORG for my tried and true Jorgs.
As for the gems, I have the 1/2 inch benchtop shaper and saw it on sale for $75! The miter slot isn't perfect in mine but for cutting mortice it works great. I made a sled to cut dovetail keys in miters a one for dados as well.

The plate joiners is ok at best. The 14x41 lathe is ok only after a TON of work tuning it to get everything straight. It only has a few speeds with the slowest being way to fast for anything not round to start with.
The planes are average but you need to replace the iron before using the thin oem one.
Cen tec digital angle guage works so far. 12 sliding compound miter saw is fine after you junk the oem blade. It is touchy to set up at first but mine has stayed true thru many bf of red oak/cherry/walnut.

Don Whitten
02-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I have the 2hp DC unit and it is great for the money (139.00), also picked up their link belt for my bandsaw and it is good.
I'm concidering there pin nailer, don't have much use for one but could use it now and then. What concerns me is I'm use to my Senco and PC guns that are trouble free and work perfectly that i'm thinking if I'm gonna get a pinner it needs to be one of those brands to make me happy but the cost verses the use is what holds me back.

Tom Ewell
02-27-2011, 12:42 AM
...I'm gonna get a pinner it needs to be one of those brands to make me happy but the cost verses the use is what holds me back.

I originally got a pinner (Cadex) for kitchen installs, holding rope trims, crowns and the like together while the glue set.

Have since found many more uses for those little pins. They'll tack together 1/4" plywood butt joints (with glue) for utility bins and small drawers, hold cabinet door panels in place (one pin top and bottom), many jigs, hold new skins (for glue set) on cabinet sides, easy to release hold on long trims to scribe/mark and so on. Virtually invisible fastners wherever you need them. Need to angle them to help with the "pull out" but surpisingly strong on the shear.

Don't know about the HF pinner but if you feel better about your favorite brand for the long haul, don't worry, you'll probably find many more uses for it than planned.

Robert Rolfe
02-27-2011, 9:30 PM
Just bought a new and different item there that so far i am very pleased with! Its called the SuperSwitch Pro. For wireless remote operation of 3 devices! 100foot range, thru walls and floors, I use it so far to run a pair of shop lites over my bench and my shop vac. Only $14 and change.