PDA

View Full Version : Water-based vs oil-based wood stains

Alfred Hoffmann
01-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Since my woodshop in the basement does not have proper ventilation for oil staining I am considering going to a water-based stain. I do most of my oil-based staining during the summer outside in the garage. Has anyone experience in both and can tell me whether the water-based stain is equal to the oil-based stain?

Alfred Hoffmann

Larry Browning
01-20-2005, 1:17 PM
Actually I like the water based dyes from transfast. I think it brings out the grain better than the oil based stains. The coverage is more even and is a breeze to spray on. It will open up a whole new way to add color to your projects.

Larry

Chris DeHut
01-20-2005, 1:33 PM
Hi ALfred,

I wouldn't think of them as equal as they are much different in chemistry and application techniques. I have been using a variety of them over the past 10 years or so and I can say this with confidence - experiment on scrap first!

The application techniques are much different to me for the water versus oil based. It takes some getting used to as you apply it very wet, wait a bit, then wipe off the excess, sometimes even rubbing pretty hard. The type of wood you are working on seems to alter the "look" much more with water based than with oil based stains. Most have no odor or at least very minimal.

All around I find that I am using the water based products more and more and many of them are getting very good. Some of the water base varnishes I have been using are just amazing to work with and I really like the "no-odor" feature of them (especially when we are filming and have everything closed up tight).

But again, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of testing and practicing before working on the big projects.

Chris DeHut