PDA

View Full Version : finding data for trotec speedy 500, 60 watt

Hans Simons
02-23-2011, 6:56 AM
Dear people,
This is the first time that I use a forum. I will see how this works. At the moment I study at the university department of architecture in Delft in the Netherlands. Here we create models to support our presentations. By using laser cutters, the models are prettier and better. I am so interested in these machines that I bought a Trotec a speedy 500 laser, 60 watts . Now I'm cutting and engraving different materials. Many results does not have a good quality to use because I have not the proper numbers in the controljob like: power, speed,PPI and Hz for the right material. I wonder if you can help me draw up a list which these data are collected and available to everyone. It is mentioned, what material,how thick, engraving or cutting ability, speed and PPI or Hz. If anyone is interested in what results I have for know, I would like to share.

Thank you for your kind response,

Hans Simons

Dan Hintz
02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Hans,

Welcome to SMC... you'll find the people here are a friendly resource for help with your laser (that's a nice machine, by the way). While you will find suggested settings for individual material requests, you won't find a complete list... this is because every machine is different and you will need to tweak your settings based upon experiments with each substrate/material.

Mike Null
02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Hans

welcome to Sawmill Creek. All the information you need should be in your materials section within your Job Control driver. These should be considered guides and will require some adjustment to your particular machine. (all machines have some variables, even like models)

Every one of the settings in Job Control can be adjusted to your machine and it is quite easy to do once you have experimented with materials.

In the attached click on the material, then new, then create your own settings. My machine is a 300, 45 watt. If there is a specific material you need request just that and maybe somebody will have the setting you need.

Michael Kowalczyk
02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey Hans,
Welcome to the Creek. Did you buy it new or used? I was looking at that model a few months ago because I like the ability to cut small parts and have them drop down into a tray for removal after without being flashed by the laser because of the angled slats. Since I have a 60 watt also, my settings will be fairly close. Please describe what your material is, how thick it is, what lens you are using and what you are trying to do (ie Engrave, mark, or cut) so we can better assist you.

If you bought it new, you should try them first since that is part of what you paid for. Regardless if you got it new or used, there is a wealth of info and experience here for you. Let us know how we can help and be as detailed as you can.

Hans Simons
02-23-2011, 5:14 PM
I like to say that it is nice already that you people want me to comment and help.

I have not bought a new Speedy 500. We have him inspected by the dealer. So far he has made 300 hours of light and has made moves like 2100km.
We have the most standard version of software and use a 2 "lens. We would like to buy a 5 "lens what wil give a better result for cutting.
We use the machine for making models of architecture. That means that we work with materials like plastic, wood, fabric, paper, and glass. Usually we apply the maximum thickness of 6mm, but it also happened that we have to cut sheets of 12mm. Making a model is a custom job and concern that it is not about repetition.
We are now two months doing lots of different things and try to better understand material properties. Attack on the material during the burn is something we see. We want the greatest effort, because most times we use the material as a plane clean object.
Personally I am much occupied with plastic. Plastic you have many different types and therefore have different properties. Clear plastic (aqriel), white plastic ribbon, colored plastic and, again, apply different thickness (1 to 12 mm). To create models is both cutting and engraving apply.
I'm looking for a competitive process for engraving and cutting plastic. What settings should I use and what type of plastic gives the best results.

kind regards,

hans

Mike Null
02-23-2011, 5:28 PM
Hans

I question that a 5 inch lens will give you better cutting results and definitely will give poorer engraving results. I think I'd be looking at a 2.5 inch lens for the thicknesses you've mentioned.

Acrylic, particularly cast acrylic, is an excellent material for cutting and engraving. Thinner versions of extruded acrylic also cut well though generally don't produce a good raster image. Acrylic is available in a fairly wide range of colors including transparent and opaque.

Be sure to install air assist if the machine doesn't have it. You should also have a cutting table in the machine.

I've found Trotec support to be outstanding so I recommend becoming acquainted with them.

Dan Hintz
02-23-2011, 5:49 PM
Hans,

To build on what Mike said...

A longer focal length lens (such as the 5") will give you a smaller kerf, but it will also increase your focal point size (in other words, resolution of engraved items will decrease, and cutting will be slower). You will find the longer focal length useful for thicker opaque plastics, but for clear plastics (such as clear acrylic) I suggest staying with the 2" focal length lens (even with the thicker pieces). For clear, focus into the material about 1/3rd of the thickness using the 2" lens.