PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Doors ?

John TenEyck
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a friend with a bathroom vanity where some of the finish has degraded on the doors, mostly near the tops. It looks like the finish is gone; not sure if it was from water or wear. I'm guessing the finish was lacquer. They want me to make new doors for them, but I don't see any reason to do so if the finish can be removed and redone or repaired. So - how do I best go about removing the finish? Or is it possible to repair? This seems harder to me, but .... If I remember correctly, the wood looked like oak and the finish is a medium brown, if that's of any use. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony Bilello
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
A good chemical stripper should remove the old finish fairly quickly. Most good strippers remove the finish but not the stain or dye.

John TenEyck
02-25-2011, 8:25 PM
A good chemical stripper should remove the old finish fairly quickly. Most good strippers remove the finish but not the stain or dye.

Right you are. Stripper took off the finish in literally seconds, leaving a nice uniform color on a drawer front I got from another cabinet made by the same manufacturer. This is going to be the fastest way to "prep" vanity. Thanks for the help.