PDA

View Full Version : Going to build a bench and need leg vise hardware

john davey
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
OK. I watched the video at benchcrafted and yes that is some real nice stuff. I can't afford it though. Lee Valley has this: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41664&cat=1,41659 Is this the correct screw for a leg vise?

I could buy a threader and make my own. That also seems more expensive than the lee valley screw but not by much.

Who else makes them and are there any other options?

For the record my bench will be small. 54" long by 16" wide. It will have a leg vise to the left if facing it. A Veritas inset vise on the right with a row of dog holes. And in the middle a Moxon double screw vise that can be clamped when needed ( probably another vote for the threader). I will also have a large apron on the front and may install a double screw in the apron. That will be an afterthought if I decide I want to sit to cut dovetails.

Te bench will be 4x4 legs / 2x6 stretchers with a laminated top cut from 2x12's at about 2 1/2 inches. the apron will be a 2x12 as well and could support a twin screw or it will have many holes for hold fasts.

I guess my only unknown at this point before I dive in is the leg vise hardware. So is it the threader, the lee valley or something else? Thanks, John

john brenton
02-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm in the same spot. I think it should boil down to what you really want. The bench might just be your lifetime bench, so I wouldn't worry about a few bucks.

I'm leaning towards the threader myself.

Michael N Taylor
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I used the exact screw from lee valley for my leg vise and for a wagon vice, they worked out very well for both applications.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2011, 2:22 AM
The Lee Valley vise screw looks like it would be easy to adapt to a leg vise or tail vise.

If you have your own threading tools, then you can make as many vise set ups as your heart desires or your bench can fit.

jtk

Tim Null
02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi John,

Whoa this is a bit of deja vu! I am building a Rubou like the one in Schwarz's new book. 54" long (due to space constraints) x 20". Laminated top, about 2 5/8" after finishing. Leg vice on the left and Veritas inset on the right with dog holes. I ordered leg hardware from Lake Erie Tool Works. I got a wooden screw and all of the hardware for the vice. About 3 weeks lag time.

I am going with no apron and legs flush to the top edge. This is a second bench for hand tools, my first is larger and has an apron and Veritas Twin Screw Vise. Leg hardware should be showing up any day now, I'll post when it does.

David Keller NC
02-23-2011, 1:59 PM
Guys - One caveat about the wood threading kits (at least the ones that are the traditional tap and thread box - can't comment about the Beall system). The make wooden screws that have far too fine a pitch for a bench vise. They're -OK- for the Moxon double screw vise because they're the only alternative to purchasing 2 $200 wood screws and nuts from a company like Big Wooden Vise, and you won't use the Moxon screw vise nearly as much as a bench vise, so extra time spent screwing the threads in and out isn't as big a deal.

But they would really suck as a main bench vise (I know, I have 3 of these wood thread kits).

john davey
02-23-2011, 2:10 PM
Thanks David, good info there. I actually have the Beal system but have never used it (Impulse purchase #12543). I think I will make the moxon with that system and buy the LV screw for the leg vise....John.

Paul Incognito
02-23-2011, 5:27 PM
Along the lines of David's post, I've never seen a commercialy available wood threading kit with coarse enough threads. I did get a nice 1-1/2" screw box and tap with 3tpi from Patrick Leach, but it's pretty old and has no maker's mark. If you really want to thread your own wood screw you might get lucky and find something similar.
Then again, you'd probably spend as much for the screw box and tap as you would for the LV hardware.
Never mind...
Paul

Floyd Mah
02-25-2011, 3:30 PM
Hi John. I used the same Lee Valley screw on my workbench. See it here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?111082-Leg-Vise-vs-Front-Vise&p=1123136#post1123136. My bench is about 80" long. The screw works very well. Since it is made of metal, I have no hesitation to apply a lot of pressure. It's certainly stronger than the wooden jaw (sapele).