PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a "waterproof" camera?

Brian Elfert
02-22-2011, 9:44 PM
Has anyone here had real world experience with a "waterproof" digital camera?

A lot of them get really bad reviews for picture quality and there are many complaints of them leaking. I like the fact that the warranties don't cover water damage even though they are supposed to be waterproof.

The Boy Scout troop I work with wants to buy a digital camera for youth to take pictures. There is a concern about water damage due to getting wet in rain storms and such. It was suggested to get a waterproof camera. It appears that a decent model is close to $300, but a regular camera is just over $100 for a decent one.

Dave Gaul
02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I've never used one, but maybe suggest getting a $100 camera, and just buy a waterproof case to protect it. Much easier for a case to be waterproof than a camera.

Russell Johnson
02-23-2011, 1:31 AM
I have an Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 that we got on sale near Christmas for around $200. I have had no problems even when taken into the pool for half a day at the water park. My brother in law has an older version of this camera he has had for a couple of years or so and has also taken it in the water many times with no issues. The picture are pretty good and the HD video is really cool. I will say the pictures are somewhat slow but over all I'm very happy with my Stylus Tough. Hope this helps.

John Christian
02-23-2011, 8:09 AM
+1 on olympic stylus in my family we have two which we refer to as the guy camera .....very durable

Joe Angrisani
02-23-2011, 8:51 AM
My first love is photography (ok, second after the LOML). Sorry, woodworking friends.

Understand also that my point of view comes from a more serious photography side. For example, while many people find cell phone cameras acceptable as an all-in-one device, I feel ALL phone cameras are lacking in some key areas regarding things like dynamic range and sensor performance. Some extremely so.

Long story short: Buy a Canon Powershot D10 if you need a waterproof camera.

I have found the Olympus, Casio, Pentax and Panasonic cameras to be severely lacking. All have significant distortion, lens softness, white balance mis-calcs, and/or color fringing. Some also have dynamic range and exposure issues. Which is too bad because a few of the "dry" Olympus point and shoot cameras are the finest out there.

The Canon D10 nails it on all accounts. Superb performance, in or out of the water. The Canon computer and metering is the best there is. Canon has long been dead-on target with their point and shoots. Fantastic in pure Auto mode, plus easy to compensate exposure or jump into pure Manual mode. I'm not even a "Canon guy". My serious equipment is Nikon. But Canon rules the P&S world.

I have to disagree with David's suggestion to get a $100 camera and a waterproof case. A quality waterproof case will cost upwards of $160-$250 (stay away from the plastic-pouch type underwater housings), and you still end up with a camera that's used to setting exposure and white balance above water, where it is literally a whole different world. While this doesn't affect your "rainy" shots so much, keep in mind a waterproof housing is big and clunky.

Brian Elfert
02-23-2011, 9:51 AM
I've never used one, but maybe suggest getting a $100 camera, and just buy a waterproof case to protect it. Much easier for a case to be waterproof than a camera.

This assumes you can trust a 12 year old boy to put it back in the case and not leave it out in the rain or something. I am kinda leaning towards non-waterproof just because of cost and the waterproof cameras don't take as nice of pictures.

Bill Huber
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
This assumes you can trust a 12 year old boy to put it back in the case and not leave it out in the rain or something. I am kinda leaning towards non-waterproof just because of cost and the waterproof cameras don't take as nice of pictures.

Go take a look at BuyDig, you can get a refurbed Stylus for $139. I have bought a lot of different cameras from them for myself and others and have not had a problem with any of them.

The Stylus is also shock proof to 5 ft. which in your case would be a big plus.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMSTT6020KRB

Joe Angrisani
02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Being "the camera guy" among family and friends, I often get the Which Camera question. When people don't feel like stepping up for the best tool for the job they describe, I always suggest something bottom-end-simple instead. There's lots of decent used cameras at the low end if you buy smart, and $100 gets you a rockin' camera in 2011. Your thinking on a nice non-waterproof P&S is good. If new, consider the Canon A495 for $80 with free shipping from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672193-REG/Canon_4259B001_PowerShot_A495_Digital_Camera.html
All you need to make gorgeous 11x14s with proper technique, and it has the Canon internals that I've found second-to-none. Plain ol' AA batteries and plain ol' SD-HC memory card. Makes $50-75 used cameras an unnecessary risk. I have used B&H for decades. They are not one of the NYC rip-off stores (use only B&H, Adorama and Amazon in my opinion).

The only problem with Bill's Stylus suggestion is some of the worst purple-fringing of any P&S lens. And trying to cram an all-internal 5x lens into a subcompact also results in very soft corners and lots of distortion on the edges. But everyone's take on results is different - as I said in the first post: I know lots of people who think their cellphone takes good pics. As an above-water choice for snapshots, it'll be one of the best if you can get around the inherent faults of a "folded" lens.

May I suggest another course? Have the boys ask at home about any unused cameras (or send a letter home). I have to think in all those Scouts' families there's at least one few-year-old dormant camera available. Then they can make it a tax deduction! All you really need is about 4 quality megapixels for wonderful 8x10s. I could show you some 8x10 prints from a old 3MP Canon A510 that will knock your socks off.

I'd also like to correct something Dave wrote and you quoted. It is MUCH easier for a camera to be waterproof, NOT a case. A case requires quasi-surgical cleanliness. All it takes is one grain of sand to cause a leak at a case's o-ring, and it's almost impossible to avoid if the camera is going in and out of the housing in the field. With a waterproof camera, you make sure it's clean when you install the card and battery, then it doesn't get opened again until you're home.

Brian Elfert
02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking about ordering the Stylus and just returning it if picture quality is not good. I don't think anyone is expecting SLR type pictures from 12 year old kids.

I'll have to consult with the other adult leaders in the troop and see what they think about waterproof versus not.

Joe Angrisani
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Don't expect SLR results from any point and shoot. That's a whole other quality level (on the capture/dynamic range/data level). $300 would get you a great body and basic lens, but now we're talking "learning photography" versus just taking snapshots.

If you have a memory card that fits the Stylus (an SD or SDHC), go to a local electronics store and try a few shots with your card. Bring the card home and check the results at 100%. Put the bright doors/outside, or a bright display, next to someone's head in a shot to check the purple fringing.

Good Luck!!!