PDA

View Full Version : Tpe 11 No 5 tote toe screw?

Steve Stack
02-22-2011, 4:11 PM
OK I know many of the Stanley screws have abnormal thead pitches but I have type 11 No5 missing it's tote toe screw, what size am I looking for, thread and length? If it's not standard, where can I find one? Thanks, this is one I fixed up for my son-in-law getting ready for OCS at Ft Benning, a welcome home while passing thru present.(He just picked up a No 65 for $12 while still at Ft Drum, guess you deserve some luck after you get back stateside) Thanks,
Steve

Jim Koepke
02-22-2011, 4:39 PM
Steve,

The screw is a #12 at 20 threads per inch. The only place I know of to buy a new one is from Stanley tools parts department.

Others often have some from spare parts. If you have a broken Stanley plane, the frog screw is the same size and thread. I have done this and just filed the top round to look better.

They keep changing their site and make it difficult to find parts without getting lost.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/toescrew.html

That should be the part you need. It will likely cost more to have it packed and shipped.

jtk

Bill Houghton
02-22-2011, 4:47 PM
It looks to be No. 12, 20 threads per inch. Bad news: that's not a current standard size (#12-24 is about all you can find). Good news: Stanley seems still to offer it: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/number5usa.html. I think it's the "toe screw" listed.

Check with Lori Goucher, their parts goddess (last contact information I had for her was 800-262-2161 ex 55839, or lgoucher@stanleyworks.com), to confirm it, but this should work.

By the way, Stanley has a surprising, although erratic, number of their parts available still. The general parts website is http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/. Lori has, once or twice, been able to provide parts that aren't listed; but I think they just have parts bins in some back room that are slowly emptying and not being refilled.

They use Yahoo for shipping, so you'll probably pay more for shipping than for the part itself. Other possibilities include Clarence Blanchard at Fine Tool Journal (he's very responsive to e-mails) and Walt Quadrato at Brass City Records (he's hopeless about e-mail; call him). You can find both these places on Google.

Paul Incognito
02-22-2011, 5:11 PM
I just looked thru my box'o parts and I found one. It's for a high knob version, but there should be enough thread there to cut it down.
PM me and I'll get it out to you.
Paul

Matthew Dunne
02-22-2011, 5:37 PM
Looks like you're all set with Paul's generous offer (Hi Paul!), but I can say I bought a replacement "toe screw" from Stanley and it worked fine. I don't know what type my plane was, but it was "oldish."

Here's the thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146991-Tote-Screw-for-Bailey-Plane

Jorge Rico
02-22-2011, 6:01 PM
Steve,
Threads on Stanley planes are unique to Stanley and can't be replaced by something modern from the hardware store. This is why most of us accumulate rusty yard sale planes just for the parts.

Bill Houghton
02-22-2011, 6:08 PM
Steve,
Threads on Stanley planes are unique to Stanley and can't be replaced by something modern from the hardware store. This is why most of us accumulate rusty yard sale planes just for the parts.

Not all threads are: Stanley happened to choose some thread sizes/pitches that later were incorporated into the standard fine and coarse threads that we see now. The problem is that, from our perspective a century and more later, the times and places where they do use what later became standard seem kind of random. Probably made sense at the time.

Steve Stack
02-23-2011, 4:58 PM
Thanks to all who have responded and especially Paul with the generous offer, this is such a sharing community and since I have a few additional parts I need for some other projects, think I might as well try the Stanley parts Jim and Bill suggested. That way I can finish a couple more things while I'm at it. Again, thanks, it truly is inspiring at the quick responses with advice and encouragement offered here,
Steve

Mel Miller
02-23-2011, 5:53 PM
One thing that can happen with these old Stanley handle screws, etc. is that they are not all exactly the same dimension, and can vary +/- a few thousandths. Stanley bought the same stuff from different suppliers. I keep a pretty good pile of parts, and often end up trying several screws before I find one that fits the best.
If you lived closer it would be easiest to just bring your plane over and dig thru the pile.

Mel

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-24-2011, 7:58 AM
Last time I was browsing their site, Highland Woodworking sold some handplane replacement parts, although last time I looked, they only sold the screws a "kit" that included replacements for all the screws in the plane, for something like 10 bucks. May end up being worth looking there if it's someplace you order from anyway.

Mike Brady
02-24-2011, 9:41 AM
OK I know many of the Stanley screws have abnormal thead pitches but I have type 11 No5 missing it's tote toe screw, what size am I looking for, thread and length? If it's not standard, where can I find one? Thanks, this is one I fixed up for my son-in-law getting ready for OCS at Ft Benning, a welcome home while passing thru present.(He just picked up a No 65 for $12 while still at Ft Drum, guess you deserve some luck after you get back stateside) Thanks,
Steve
This question comes up often. Some folks that answered seemed to think you were looking for the handle screw, but you stated "toe screw". Contrary to what some have said, I don't believe this part is available from Stanley. Some dealers charge as much as $8. for these. Here is a tip that works: A Stanley frog screw is the same thread and length. It is a flat-head screw, but you can put the screw in a drill press or lathe and turn the head round with a file in about five minutes. If you want it really right, dip it in some gun blue. This was always a blued part on all types of the larger Stanley / Bailey planes. The point is that frog screws are very easy to find on junk planes. Heck, you can sell them at a discount for only $5.!

Matthew Dunne
02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Actually, I got a new toe screw from Stanley--it cost $1.00 and fit great.