PDA

View Full Version : dust collector barrel

Mike McCann
02-22-2011, 4:06 PM
When looking at dust collection they always show the cardboard barrels. Like this picture. where can you find these?

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/34367-08-500.jpg

Neil Brooks
02-22-2011, 4:18 PM
I've heard them called "fiber drums."

That made it easy to find suppliers, when I Googled that term.

Obviously, finding LOCAL suppliers would be a BIG plus.

I just entered "fiber drums NEAR [my ZIP code]," and it DID return local suppliers.

Peter Elliott
02-22-2011, 4:34 PM
Find a friend and split the cost. must buy in qty of 2...

But I buy all my packing materials from this company and they are very good.

http://www.uline.com/BL_8151/Fiber-Drums

Mike McCann
02-22-2011, 5:05 PM
thanks guys. Anyone in Cincinnati, NKY want to go in this with me.

Steve Peterson
02-22-2011, 6:45 PM
I recall seeing a post where someone ordered one from MCMaster-Carr for somewhere around $40 with only $6 for shipping.

Steve

Gary Radice
02-22-2011, 7:56 PM
I recall seeing a post where someone ordered one from MCMaster-Carr for somewhere around $40 with only $6 for shipping.

Steve +1 on McMaster-Carr. That's where I got my mine. Inexpensive and fast shipping. OTOH, metal bins reduce the fire hazard, so you might consider a metal one instead.

Bruce Wrenn
02-22-2011, 9:31 PM
Check with a janitorial supply company. Many dry soaps come in these drums. Also floor sweeping compound comes in them. I got last two from local Lowes store. They had floor sweeping compound in them. Lowes uses this on floor area where masonry products are stored. My hardwood supplier also uses them. Check with Kroger, as they use this type of drum for recycling plastic bags in our area. Many paper recycling companies also provide these type drums for their customers. Laundries get powered soap in them. Flour is also shipped to small bakeries in them.

Stephen Cherry
02-22-2011, 9:55 PM
I bought a like new drum on craigslist for about 20 dollars.

Mike McCann
02-23-2011, 8:43 AM
Thanks all I just bought a 30 gallon one from McMaster Carr doe 30 bucks that includes the shipping.

Mike

Lee Schierer
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
OTOH, metal bins reduce the fire hazard, so you might consider a metal one instead.

Just a question....What are you sucking up in your DC that you are worried about a fire hazard using a fiber barrel?

Neil Brooks
02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Just a question....What are you sucking up in your DC that you are worried about a fire hazard using a fiber barrel?

Haven't you ever cleaned off your work, a little too close to when you did your pyrography ?

;)

Gary Radice
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Some folks use their dust collector for a floor sweep, and it is possible to suck up bits of metal that might cause a spark when it hits the fan blade. I'm not saying this is huge hazard, but piles of fluffy combustible wood shavings sitting around makes me think "what if..."

Neil Brooks
02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Some folks use their dust collector for a floor sweep, and it is possible to suck up bits of metal that might cause a spark when it hits the fan blade. I'm not saying this is huge hazard, but piles of fluffy combustible wood shavings sitting around makes me think "what if..."

In theory, I thought most DCs used non-ferrous fan blades, for just this reason.

I'm not certain, but ... pretty sure....

I guess ... a metal garbage can, for the chipSeparator, _could_ spark, though....

[EDIT: interesting article on the subject (and other taboo subjects ;)) HERE (http://www.sacramentoareawoodworkers.com/Articles/DustCollectionandPVCPipeDangersDebunked.pdf)]

james glenn
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
I know you have one already, but if anyone else in the upstate NY area is looking; I found a place in Albany that
sells used ones for under $10. I got a 45gal one for $7. And they are nice and clean.

But I found them buy doing the zip code + fiber drum google search.