PDA

View Full Version : Arthritus

Richard Gillespie
01-20-2005, 8:35 AM
10 or more years ago I developed arthritus in my fingers as well as my spine and hips. When my hips disturb my sleep I take celebrex but I will not take it on a daily basis. I was worried about long term consequences long before they announced them.

Being a woodworker, I am most concerned about my hands. Last night was bad. Been working out in the shop on a bookcase project and made the mistake of going outside without gloves (22 degrees). I paid the price and my loving wife let me know she wasn't too happy about. Fortunetly, thanks to her, I have a hot wax machine. Dipping my hands into that and then wearing gloves for a couple of hours relieved the pain. I do feel kind of silly wearing glove indoors but oh well, whatever works.

Having a history of ulcers, I'm very leary of using asprin which probably would have also given relief. My question is are there other products in the market place that give protection/relief that others have experience with? :confused:

David Wilson
01-20-2005, 8:56 AM
Richard
I was diagnosed with osteo arthritus in my knees abiut 15 years ago. I have no problems with ulcers so I do take asprins but I started taking gluclosomine sulfate which probibly cut the amount of asprins I take in half. I have also read about using acupuncture for arthritus and am thinking about trying it. A shot of 100 proof schnaps in the evening seems to help also.

Dick Parr
01-20-2005, 9:05 AM
Richard, I have 5 different types of arthritis and the best thing that isn't pill or shots a cream called "Zostrix, High Potency (HP). It is pricey so I only use it on the hands, fingers, wrists and feet but it is great and works fast.

If ya want to talk about arthritis stuff PM me, cause I have tried most everything. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Richard Gillespie
01-20-2005, 9:30 AM
Thanks David and Dick for your quick replies. David, I forgot to mention that I also take Glucosamine/Chondroitin Complex on a daily basis. It seems to help the hips much more than the fingers. Dick thanks you for your suggestion. Is Zostrix (HP) an over the counter medication?

I didn't try PMing you because I'm having problems sending emails from both of my computers. Somehow, the router on my home net is interfering with outgoing messages from Microsoft Explorer. I have to replace it and haven't done so yet.

Dick Parr
01-20-2005, 9:39 AM
Richard, Yes the Zostrix is an over the counter med and NO prescription is needed. But like I said it's pricey but worth it.

Just write when ya get a chance if you want to talk.

Again, good luck this stuff is no fun. :mad:

Jerry Clark
01-20-2005, 9:45 AM
I also use Glucosamine/Chondroitin Complex and have for several years My knees got so bad I was going to ask for one of those "Blue" cards to hang on the mirror. I had trouble standing for very long and developed a "Baker's Cyst". My doctor prescribed Nabumetone (Relafin) which has helped a lot. Jerry:cool:

Gary Whitt
01-21-2005, 9:45 AM
Keep a tube of capsacium cream handy. No need to buy a name-brand, generic will do. I got mine at CVS.

It's like Ben Gay but no odor. The capsacium heats up when moist.

I use it a lot on my back, knees and hands.

Charles McKinley
01-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi All,

I tape my fingers if I will be doing anything that vibrates a lot with either sports tape or vet wrap. Vet wrap only sticks to itself and has a little more give.

Paul Harvey was advertising "arthritis gloves." Does anyone know what they are and how much they cost? He is also advertising glucosamine and condrotin combine with another chemical that is supposed to make it more effective. I'll try to catch the name of it today.

Pete Lamberty
01-21-2005, 1:59 PM
I almost hate to suggest this because I am not one that puts much faith into home remedies. But two friends have tried it and it worked good for one and great for the other. One friend had terrible pain in his knees, so much that he didn't even want to walk. He ate a small box of Jello everyday for six months and the pain totally left his knees. He continues to eat Jello now but not quite as much. He now hates Jello but his knees don't hurt. This isn't an instant fix but you may want to try it. I guess it can't hurt. Good luck.

Dave Brandt
01-21-2005, 2:07 PM
Pete, is that prepared jello or straight out of the box (YUCK!)

Pete Lamberty
01-22-2005, 9:00 PM
Pete, is that prepared jello or straight out of the box (YUCK!)

Hi Dave, it is prepared. I would think that one would want to make it with only a fraction of the correct amount of water. It would then seem like you wouldn't have to eat as much. :D

Joseph N. Myers
01-22-2005, 10:57 PM
I use glucosamine/chondroitin (750/600 mg) and not really sure if that helps (guess it can't hurt). I'm down to using celebrex only when the pain is really bad. But the best thing I've found, and more than one doctor has recommended it is Tylenol/Arthritis Pain, usually 2 twice a day. Takes maybe an hour to kick in but really does the job.

Regards, Joe

Charles McKinley
01-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi All,

The ingrediant is Type II Collagen. Hi-Health is adding it to their Glucosamine & Chondroitin. The gloves are called "Bionic Gardeners Gloves" and they are $40 /pair! :eek:

Has anybody tried either?