PDA

View Full Version : Another Waterlox question

Mark Levitski
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
This could be asked of all oil varnishes I guess: We get a pretty long shelf life out of Waterlox Original Sealer. We purchase smaller containers and use some collapsible plastic bottles for storage. Really like the product.

After some time, it begins to gel in clumps, leaving the rest of it almost normal yet maybe a bit thicker. We have applied this portion of the partially gelled product and it has performed very well. What woulld be the cutoff point as to when to toss it out and start with new and fresh product? We have tried straining and adding some more mineral spirits, but the gel usually clogs up the strainers too much to even bother.

Thank you all..............Mark

Wayne Watling
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi, Mark:

What sort of time frame are you talking about? I have been using the product and so far have had no problem with gelling. Some of the precautions I take are as follows:

DONT SHAKE THE TIN (This introduces air into the mix and causes it to gell)
Transfer a small quantity to a smaller container for immediate use, and get the lid back on the tin asap.
Spray in a little argon gas and put some plastic wrap over the tin before putting the lid back on.

If I have some left over from the job, I do the same thing with that. So far I haven't had any problem with the product gelling.

Agree, its a nice product to twork with.

Regards,
Wayne

Mark Levitski
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Wayne. We do take similar precautions and get a good shelf life from it. However, the shaking thing I never thought of in that way of introducing O2. We do not shake the tin, but we never have taken care NOT to shake it. I've heard mixed reviews of the argon, so we never tried it.

I was going to ask the manufacturer, but I know that they'd lean towards having me throw it out and buy more :).

Mark

Prashun Patel
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Mark-
I'm also in the camp of 'focus on preservation and toss when in doubt'. I decant the tin into 8oz containers for storage, and from there into 4oz containers for usage. If there's any left over at the end, I fill the headspace mainly with mineral spirits in lieu of argon et al.

Mark Levitski
02-23-2011, 5:35 PM
Thanks, Prashun. Our collapsible bottles work well for that, but I'll file the MS suggestion.

I grew up and spent about 30 years in NJ--Sussex County.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-18-2011, 7:11 PM
I've heard mixed reviews of the argon, so we never tried it.

I was going to ask the manufacturer, but I know that they'd lean towards having me throw it out and buy more :).
I read the manufacturers recommendations today, and they specifically do recommend the use of inert gas such as Argon. The reason is that Waterlox reacts to Oxygen. Other options include adding clean marbles or a smaller bottle. I saw it mentioned that one member uses Argon from his large canister that he uses for welding. I verified the ingredients of "Private Preserve", which I have used for years with my Wine to great effect, and it will work just fine with your Waterlox. Note that a bottle of Private Preserve is less expensive than say Bloxygen, and your friends will not give you a strange look when you use it on your Wine :D