PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning and Facebook

GLENN THOMAS
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Does anyone here use facebook on a regular basis? I did a search on facebook for Woodturning and found several pages and it looks like there are more woodturners out there than I had ever imagined. If you havn't looked at facebook as a resource give it a try.

John Keeton
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Glenn, in my ongoing efforts to become a recluse, I have avoided all social networking sites! I do suspect you are right, however, and that there is another world out there I may never know about.

Lee Koepke
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I set up a "Group" so I can keep some of my friends/family in the loop with the new stuff I make.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I joined recently only after being prodded by a lot of family members.

Scott Hackler
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I am on Facebook but dont post much of anything, other than a comment after someone else post something interesting (rarely). The only woodturning groups I am part of are Woodturning Design Magazine and Nova Woodworking. I don't think that any of my "friends" from here are on my Facebook list but it doesn't matter because everyone has access to my email, PM's, phone number and home address.

jeff schnell
02-22-2011, 1:10 PM
I'm on Facebook almost every day, I have about 350 woodturner friends and love it when they post what their working on.

Scott Hackler
02-22-2011, 1:44 PM
Lol. My wife reminded me that I DO have a page just for my turnings. I just don't keep the post up very frequently. I have a hard enough time keeping up posting pictures here and a couple other forums/sites. :)

jeff schnell
02-22-2011, 1:49 PM
I've been posting more pictures lately because of my Android phone, it's very easy just to do a quick share, also I have an account on my website that I just email the photo to and it posts it to my facebook. This is real easy since I belong to 5 turning clubs and take photos & video.

alex carey
02-22-2011, 2:15 PM
im on fb everyday and i have a folder for my woodturnings though i rarely update it. Then again im 21 and having a social live without facebook can be a challenge.

Bob Bergstrom
02-22-2011, 3:18 PM
We put our club on Facebook, It has helped us communicate with each other, post pictures of events, latest pieces, and a good way to discuss problems and bragging rights.

David E Keller
02-22-2011, 3:26 PM
What's facebook?

I'm only kidding, but I've not taken the plunge. I don't find my life interesting enough to share with others, and the lives of others are even less interesting to me. I didn't know there were woodturning groups, but even that's not enough to draw me in at this point.

jeff schnell
02-22-2011, 3:29 PM
I haven't tried to put our clubs on Facebook yet but I did create a Yahoo group for each one and thought they might use the messages and file areas but they haven't. Also a lot of people didn't like having to create a yahoo or keep forgetting their login in information for Yahoo so that why I also use Posterous for all of my clubs so each of them can see what's going on and other people around the world follow my pictures their too. I don't claim I'm a photographer or videographer but I do take photo for the newsletters and the people that can't always make the meetings. My Posterous account also posts the pictures on facebook which is real nice.

Nathan Hawkes
02-22-2011, 3:45 PM
I am definitely on Facebook every day. I got the new profile set up, and sent my "like" invites to everyone, but I don't know how to sync my *hundreds* of pictures from my personal facebook page to the woodturning page without going through and individually loading each one. HELP! Anyone know how to do this?

Jeff Myroup
02-22-2011, 3:52 PM
I am on FB everyday. I have my personal page, and a page for the shop/studio. I also set up our club page. I have generated the majority of my sales through FB.

Jim Burr
02-22-2011, 3:55 PM
I'm on FB everyday...but I'm a gamer. But I also post most of my stuff there too. My wife and sister post their beaded jewelery as well

Richard Madden
02-22-2011, 4:00 PM
I've heard of it, but never looked for it. Doubt that I ever will.

Steve Vaughan
02-22-2011, 5:07 PM
I'm on all the time because of my job, as a way to remain connected with my folks (I'm a pastor). So, I'll usually post all my new turnings as a the latest photo album. That's most all my pics though I put a few other things on there. Get's lots of comments and if I were serious, could probably sell most everything that way.

Dale Bright
02-22-2011, 5:22 PM
I have a Facebook page and I have some pics of some turnings on it. I also have a slide show of turnings on my page along with a link to my web site.

I have not joined any turning groups, yet, and I do not post there very often.

Dale

Nate Davey
02-22-2011, 6:05 PM
I'm on daily and post pics of my woodturning there for friends. I've made some very beneficial contacts on FB. It's a good tool just don't put anything personal up there.

Jack Gaskins
02-22-2011, 6:18 PM
Who has time for FaceBook, If Im not at work then Im at the lathe trying to get all the sanding scratches out of my bowl!

Steve Mellott
02-22-2011, 7:35 PM
I'm not on Facebook and I still don't know that much about it, but more and more businesses are using it to market and sell their products. Our woodworking club has just created a Facebook Page and we expect that we will recruit several new members through it.

Steve

Curt Fuller
02-22-2011, 8:04 PM
Glenn, in my ongoing efforts to become a recluse, I have avoided all social networking sites!
My sentiments, exactly!

Michael James
02-22-2011, 8:22 PM
I refuse! I have a cell phone that is basically call out - off in the p.m. It takes lousy pictures and I pay as I go. It has no apps that I'm aware of, nor am I interested in any of that. People keep telling me I can text with it and I tell them no. Don't check my email with it either.
btw I have a landline and will until the day I'm gone.
mj

Jon Lanier
02-22-2011, 8:28 PM
I'm on facebook. I keep in contact with my family and church family through the medium. I post pictures of my work. Part of keeping up with the family. But I don't FB for selling or grouping with woodturners.

Harry Robinette
02-22-2011, 8:32 PM
I'm with John
I don't have the time for more then my lathe and 3 forums.

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2011, 9:45 PM
Joined Facebook a few months back as a way of staying in touch with the kids and grandkids. Only recently started adding photos of my turnings and that was so the kids can see them. If you're not a member here at SMC - you don't get to see the everyday photos of all the great work and this was just one way of sharing a little of what I do.

Cathy Schaewe
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
For some of us, too much info in the public realm causes safety issues . . . Facebook puts too much out there.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
I am on FB but mainly to keep up with the family. Can keep track of my 3 brothers and 3 sisters. Funny part is they won't e-mail but sure as heck will comment on FB. Go figure.

Mark Hubl
02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
I am on Facebook, it's a good place to find old friends and keep in touch with the family. I don't post much there and find it a clunky environment. I see that more and more folks are there and friending, but I like this type of environment for socializing. If I am looking for company or artist info I hit the real websites. I suppose it is part of the culture, but how many electronic repositories and diaries can one need. I am getting to be an old fxxt and still believe that privacy is a big chunk of important. Not so important for me now, but some of the twenty somethings are going to look back and go "what was I thinking".

Bill Hunt
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm with John also, I'm kinda of a semi recluse but I'm working on it.

Bill

You only have to be good at one of two things, planting in the spring or begging in the fall

Thom Sturgill
02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm on facebook daily, mostly keeping up with family. I do post pictures for them to see. No clubs, no games, and few postings.

philip labre
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm on facebook everyday catching up with family also. I post pics for the kids to see, but nothing publicly for sale. I do have a page for my nets, but have yet to generate a sale. Joined a couple flyfishing groups but I'm not active in them.