PDA

View Full Version : Got a Micro Kerf 40 10" blade

george wilson
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I got this blade that Rockler sells,made in Wisconsin. It cuts literally as thin as a dime,.062" kerf. It will saw 1 1/2" deep. Not cheap at $175.00. Seems like a real nice carbide tipped blade. I'll have to bore it out to 3/4" to fit my Dewalt table saw from 1964. It has built in blade stabilizers,so I'll have to bore about 1/4" deep arbor hole.

When I get around to boring it out,I'll post the performance. www.totalsawsolutions.com is their address.

Glen Blanchard
02-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I had to chuckle when I read their sales information. I think the claim "saves money on electricity" is pushing it a bit. LOL

george wilson
02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I thought it cut .040" kerf from the name. Good for saving precious woods like ebony,etc,though. Don't know if it's a "green" blade,though,which they do stress!!

Neil Brooks
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I thought it cut .040" kerf from the name. Good for saving precious woods like ebony,etc,though. Don't know if it's a "green" blade,though,which they do stress!!

LOL !

I'd have to think that -- to a greater degree -- a green blade looks more like this:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/content/binary/Veritas_Ebony.jpg

"Saw" an ad for that blade. Will be interested in hearing your impressions, once you run a few BF though it.

Mark Rakestraw
02-22-2011, 4:11 PM
You can cut about that deep with the $15, 7.25" Freud Diablo blades. That's what I use when cutting ebony or ripping strips for a kayak. What's the advantage of this 10" blade? Smoother cut?

Neil Brooks
02-22-2011, 4:15 PM
Thinnest available kerf, from what I understand.

scott spencer
02-22-2011, 5:31 PM
You can cut about that deep with the $15, 7.25" Freud Diablo blades. That's what I use when cutting ebony or ripping strips for a kayak. What's the advantage of this 10" blade? Smoother cut?

That was my first thought. For $175 I hope its as good as they claim. IIRC, a respected forum member on another forum gave one a go.....he thought it cut well, but not noticeably better than his WWII, so he took advantage of their return policy and decided not to keep it. Looking forward to another user review.

Gary Muto
05-25-2011, 3:29 PM
George,

Do you have an update on the performance of this blade? I picked one up to work on custom made inlay strips. I'd be very interested to read your feedback? I figured over the long haul that it's worth it if I can get 10 sharpenings for $20 a piece, save on wood that has a lot of labor in it and get more accurate cuts than on a bandsaw. At least with my tools and skills I can get excellent accuracy on my table saw and decent accuracy on my bandsaw.

Jim McFarland
05-25-2011, 3:41 PM

+1

I use the 7 1/4" Freud Diablo on my table saw for Celtic knot and other inlays in pens. 0.0625" of inlay material (in photo: white shim stock = 0.025" & black = 0.0125") + CA to glue them fits the kerf very well IMO. Diablo cuts seem smooth to me.