PDA

View Full Version : Metal Marking

Debbie Sweet
01-20-2005, 2:40 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to laser engraving . I just purchased a Pinnacle M-25 last week and starting to buy supplies to start experimenting. I'm looking for recommendations for metal marking solutions. I've read about Cermark but I have also read about Trotec's solution that is reuseable!

Any advise?

Thanks,

Debbie Sweet

Kevin Huffman
01-20-2005, 9:29 AM
Hello Debbie,

Welcome to the creek where the water is great and the information is better.
Yes, Cermark is main manufacturer for metal marking soluctions. They also have another solution called Thurmark. If it mainly used for Ceramics but can be used for metal also.
I have yet to hear of Trotec's Solution but I will look into it.

If you need anything don't hesitate to give me a call or an PM.

Gary Shoemake
01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi Kevin

I believe the name is THERMARK, it comes in several colors and can be used for metal, ceramic, and glass. I think that Keith Outten has used it on some of his projects. Debbie there is a way that was described to reclaim the product and I believe it was to wash off the unlasered product into an airtight container and let it evaporate some and then it can be reconstitued. The Best way to put it on a piece is too use an airbrush. It does take thinning by alcohol to make it come out of the airbrush in an even coat. You'll have to follow the directions that come with the Thermark to get the right consistancy.

Welcometo the Creek

Gary Shoemake

Keith Outten
01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Debbie,

I have used the Thermark material on glass and the results can be stunning. The problem I am having is obtainig results that are repeatable. No matter how carefull I am mixing the solution it is rare when I can get the same results. This includes airbrushing the solution onto the glass, it is so sensitive to coating thickness that the engraved areas rarely match.

Considering how expensive and time consuming Thermark is to use I have returned to using a paint fill for large jobs. For smaller jobs that are one of a kind I still use Thermark since the end result is normally outstanding.

I purchased Cermark shortly after I started engraving and have had good luck with their product. It is simular to the Thermark solution but a little easier to obtain consistant results on metal than Thermark is on glass.

These types of materials are very expensive and if you intend to use them your customer must be willing to pay your highest rate as there is some failure involved with using the products. I build that into my job quote and most of the time hope the customer will take my advise and accept an alternative technique.

Try using a mask then color fill with Rustoleum Bronze Hammer Paint and compare the results to the Thermark Bronze solution :)

Jeff Brandl
12-20-2005, 2:06 PM
I'm new to this, and am looking for anyone with experience laser tattooing
chrome with thermark. I am doing it at 100 power 10 speed with a co2
35 watt laser. I've heard that Harley chrome works the best, as far as
motorcycle part's, but I'm having about a 50/luck with it...
Thanks

Joe Pelonio
12-20-2005, 5:49 PM
You might try going even slower. I have 45 watts and use 100% power,
10 speed. Also, if there's any clearcoat on the metal it won't stick, it has to be bare metal. You can get around that by making one pass, then without moving the piece, spray the thermark and run again. The first pass burns off the clear.