PDA

View Full Version : I used to love my grizzly go 490

keith ouellette
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
When i first received the machine it worked pretty good. I fine tuned it and got it working great. After a while I noticed the joints on glue ups were a little sloppy so I tweeked it a little and got it working right again.

I didn't mind having to make an adjustment once in a while. It wasn't to hard and it was better than my previous jointer by a mile.

Adjustments started to become needed more often and it started to become a real pain but I was determined to just make it work because it was all I had.

Out of no where it started making tapered boards super fast. It had never done that before. For some reason one whole side of the in feed table will barely move (when turning the eccentric rings) and getting both tables in the same plane does not seem to be an option any more.

I think it may have something to do with an unfortunate shipping incident. Now I would say I am far from liking the go490, what ever the cause of the proble. And just when I needed it most.

Anyone have this problem with the GO490?

david brum
02-22-2011, 1:23 AM
I can't help directly, although I do have that same jointer. The first thing I'd do is call Grizzly. They can at least walk you through disassembling the table to see what's damaged. I'm really curious to see what's causing the problem.

Matt Kestenbaum
02-22-2011, 7:16 AM
i regret my purchase of the same jointer (have had it for 18 mos.) for many reasons. I thought I had researched the purchase exhaustively, but I wish I knew then what I know now. Given SMC's sensitivity to threads that become "pile-ons" about machines and manufacturers....I will say no more. As The Who once sang, "Won't be fooled again!"

Steve Ryan
02-22-2011, 9:21 AM
HOO BOY! I have the G0490X. I carefully lowered it down the bulkhead stairs with my tractor in early December. Assembled the base with the motor and used a strap winch to put the jointer onto the base, and bolted it down. Pulled the cosmo soaked paper off the top and found the infeed aluminum lip at the cutter about 1/16 above the table on the operators side. OOBE* ruined. Why? How did it ever get by inspection for export? After fully cleaning the gunk off I realised that the only way to fix the problem was to remove the cutter head because that was the only way to access the bolts. The lip got pushed up because it was too long and hit the base of the machine when the infeed table was lowered or settled during shipping. Time to remove the cutter head. The 4 bolts holding the cutter head were just a bit more than finger tight, what?? I slipped the blade from an old steel framing square under the bearing block on the operators side and 3 copper shims came sliding out of the dust chute, interesting but not an issue. 3 more shims came out from the pulley side. The bottom of the bearing blocks were painted, and so was the space where they were seated. The paint was lumpy and looked to have some crud in it, and it was easily pushed away with a screwdriver. Seems that the paint had "setteled" in shipment making the block loose. Oh well, made it easier to clean the head with it out of the machine. I removed the aluminum lip and found more lumpy loose paint under it, and cut about 1/16 off the end so it would clear the main casting. I cleaned the paint away and tried to bolt the lip back flush, no luck. These lips are bolted in place and ground with the top. With the lumpy paint gone the lip was now twisted down on the operators side and twisted up on the fence side, + and - 6-10 thou. After a lot of shimming with aluminum foil and a lot of file work I got the lip within a few 10ths. I put the cutter back and checked it against the tables and found that the pully side was down over .012 from the operators side. That explains the loose lumps of paint and crud that the blocks were seated on. I picked up some shim stock and after a lot of "voodoo" I got things right. I had to shim for height and also shim each block side to side because I noticed the cutter spin a bit tighter with just the straight pile of shims under it.
It was kinda late to send the machine back because it would be a ton more work to get it taken apart and pulled back up the bulkhead ramp. I accepted that at this price there could be a bit of work involved to tune it up, but was not expecting this much work. About 12 hours spent over a few weeks. There were other parts of the machine that were bolted together paint to paint and they were re assembled OK after cleaning the crumbled paint away. I suspect that this may be part of Keith's problem.

OOBE
Out Of Box Experience

keith ouellette
02-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I Believe I know what caused the problem. Unfortunately for me it just seems to be slowly getting worse. My jointer was delivered 2 days earlier than the date the shipping company
had designated to me so I wasn't home. Try as she might my wife tried to get ahold of me but couldn't. When I came home I saw a broken crate in the garage. My wife says the idiot slid/dropped the crate on end; breaking the crate open. The driver didn't even use the trucks lift. He just slid it off onto the concrete drive way. Un fortunately my wife signed for it and was not aware she was supposed to note the damage. She kinda said the driver pushed her into signing. I tried everything I could to get grizzly to take it back but because I didn't note damage in shipping they wouldn't budge.

When I called the tech today and he asked how often I had to reset the beds (about 6 or 7 times now) He exclaimed "wow. There's something wrong there."

I was able to get it back up and running by turning the eccentric ring all the way around to the other side but have no idea how long that will last.

David Weaver
02-22-2011, 1:22 PM
I was able to get it back up and running by turning the eccentric ring all the way around to the other side but have no idea how long that will last.

Hopefully at least until you buy a jointer from another company wise enough to understand the value of fighting on the customer's behalf with the freight company instead of hiding behind a signed release when you weren't there.

Mike Goetzke
02-22-2011, 1:33 PM
Good luck getting your problem resolved.

I'm a happy G0490 owner now but it took me about 12 hours to set the beds. It ended up there were shims under a bearing block that were not needed and causing me to run out of eccentric adjustment.

For potential buyers & Grizzly

1) Offer a $50 or $100 premium to set up the beds before shipping.
2) Include a spanner wrench to make eccentric adjustment easier.
3) Try a new paralleogram bed adjustment procedure that I ended up using. Set the beds up parallel and flat to one another and then shim one of the bearing blocks to make it parallel to the beds. Grizzly would need to supply the shims but from my pains in set up this procedure took an hour or two versus half a day.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2011, 1:37 PM
Hopefully at least until you buy a jointer from another company wise enough to understand the value of fighting on the customer's behalf with the freight company instead of hiding behind a signed release when you weren't there.

David,

Even in my business if we didn't catch shipping damage at the time of delivery, the company I worked for was held responsible....and we hired the shipper to begin with..... Grizzly is no different than other companies.

glenn bradley
02-22-2011, 2:55 PM
Granted, having been told by your wife that the box had been dropped and having visible damage prior to opening; Grizzly should have been contacted for advice immediately.

I tried everything I could to get grizzly to take it back but because I didn't note damage in shipping they wouldn't budge.

This does not sound right. There have been some folks here who have had round-and-rounds with Grizzly CS for whatever reason but, without a doubt, most have been taken care of without problems. How long has it been, I would call back and get someone on the phone who has the authority to take care of me. I would not curse a damaged machine for not measuring up.

When I called the tech today and he asked how often I had to reset the beds (about 6 or 7 times now) He exclaimed "wow. There's something wrong there.

And then advised you to do what? If he did not offer some next step of action, I would not have gotten off the phone. You need a concise plan of action to resolve this.

That being said, my G0490X has been rock solid since I first set it up in May of 2008. I have had non-flat boards which I noticed. Glad I checked the machine with a straight edge as opposed to re-adjusting right away. Turned out to be wood movement as the machine checked good and other material milled fine. The offending material milled fine after setting about a week.

One experience does not make or break a machine's reputation but, the fundamental design of this jointer has been around for decades. There was a spell of non coplaner tables that showed up here but, that seems to have been addressed. Your progressive problem indicates that something is allowing things to move . . . not good.

It does concern me that you adjust the jointer and then it changes over time. The amount of adjustment you are performing on those eccentrics should move the table in and out of usable range. I can only foresee a broken casting somewhere that is allowing change under stress. This is sure to eventually fail and I would not use the machine until this is isolated and repaired. Safety is paramount.

Kudos to you for not going off on a rant about the seller when the unit is almost certainly damaged.

Mike Goetzke
02-22-2011, 3:00 PM
Keith - just a thought, you probably already know this, but, the eccentrics get locked in place with two set screws. These need to be tightened pretty good to stay tight.

David Weaver
02-22-2011, 3:03 PM
Ken, were you dealing with consumers or commercial clients who received shipments on a regular basis?

What all of us can learn from this is that if you have something that's dropped, don't sign the release. It'll be awkward if you have an impatient freight guy, but it's obvious that grizzly isn't going to do anything about it.

I can't say I've had this happen to me because i have made stationary purchases two ways:
1) amazon - liftgate was free, and the driver was superbly professional (same guy delivers heavy stuff to my house every time, did exercise equipment, too)
2) bought at the local saw shop, and the owner of the shop actually put the bandsaw I bought in his truck and dropped it off at my house on the way home when it was a foot too long to fit in a realtive's SUV. Price was no higher than amazon (actually, it was less, because they had two of the same machine and wanted to dump one).

Grizzly is dealing with consumers, and though they can say "well, they should know to arrange liftgate", they're dealing with people who get a piece of machinery only once in a while, and in a case like this where the spouse isn't home, I still think it isn't excusable. That's just my personal opinion.

I don't know what amazon would do, but I would bet that their CS would be better. The recipient is out a few hundred bucks worth of goods for something that wasn't his fault, regardless of the circumstances. That's the bottom line, it wasn't his fault, and the person who received it "wasn't in the club where they go over legal rights as a freight recipient".

Grizzly has a chance to do better, they chose not to. Dealing with consumers and hiding behind the "rules" is not the same as dealing with commercial accounts where both parties know the rules.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2011, 4:26 PM
David,

It doesn't matter. I was dealing with my company hiring a trucking company to ship one of our machines costing 1-2 million dollars.....from our factory to a hospital.........It's a premium service and we paid dearly for it........ And they still showed up damaged and if we didn't note the damage on the bill of lading.......we assumed the loss.

These are standards set by the trucking industry.

The trucking companies do this for a reason. When Joe Dudd .....uses a piece of baling twine to hoist his new 800 lb. jointer into his basement...and the twine breaks ...and destroys the jointer...he can't claim it's shipping damage. Someone has to sign on delivery and note any shipping damage on the bill of lading.

keith ouellette
02-22-2011, 4:35 PM
Yes. I know that all to well. I have taken them out and put them back in many times.

keith ouellette
02-22-2011, 4:46 PM
The initial problem with the shipping happened a couple of years ago. I talked to several different people at Grizzly and all said the same. Signed without noting damage to the crate. Wifey didn't know any better.

The tech told me to mark the eccentric rings and use the machine and raise and lower the infeed a few times and see if the rings turn while in use and then get back to him. They are going to tell me how to take the infeed table off if need be. First he wants to try and figure out if its one of the cams or something like that.

The tech was concerned with it changing also. This last change was big and abrupt which makes me think something broke. Turning the rings all the way around to the other side was my idea.
Thanks for the kudos. I wish grizzly would have taken it back when it was "dropped" off but I can fully understand why they didn't. At least they are very friendly and the tech guys seem very interested in helping. I may be able to take it apart and fix it proper but I have to complete the current project first. Its very important to me.

Van Huskey
02-22-2011, 5:01 PM
On a related note I think e-tailers of machines do a HORRIBLE job explaining to their customers how to receive a machine shipped by common carrier. I have yet to find one with a good outline of how to deal with this including documenting damage. It seems it should be on their site and included in the confirmation email. Some may include it in the email since I certainly have not seen all of them.

Mike Monroe
02-22-2011, 5:37 PM
I'm fortunate in that my work has a dock that receives shipments all day long. I've had numerous tools delivered to my work; Unisaw, Delta 14" bandsaw, etc... The dock manager signs for the shipment if there is no obvious damage. Only one tool was ever delivered damaged, a Grizzly dust collector. The dust bin lid took a beating from a forklift somewhere along it's journey. Damage was noted, Grizzly contacted, and I had a new dust bin lid within 3-4 days.

FWIW, I have the grizzly 0586 face planer and it's never caused me any problems, but then it was never dropped off the end of a tractor trailer. I just dimensioned a butt load of burr oak and cherry this past week-end.

david brum
02-22-2011, 5:51 PM
Why not take it apart, see what's broken and get it over with? You might get lucky and find that it's a $2 part. Grizzly is very good about replacement parts. They are usually pretty inexpensive.http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490/parts/2

Neil Brooks
02-22-2011, 6:00 PM
On a related note I think e-tailers of machines do a HORRIBLE job explaining to their customers how to receive a machine shipped by common carrier.

It's not perceived to be in their immediate economic interest to make that sort of thing easy :rolleyes:

Even though a couple of years has passed, if I were the OP, I would STILL make the whole story clear to Grizzly.

They might care, and they might consider that ... a slight disaster _could_ have had something to do with the problems he describes.

I'll say it again: I have NOT had an A+ track record with out-of-box quality with my Grizzly machines, but I HAVE had uniformly excellent customer service.

David Weaver
02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
It's not just grizzly, so hopefully I'm not perceived as being a grizzly basher.

Anyone who ships large freight items where the bulk goes to residential / consumer, or even any large percentage, it would be nice if they would attach the freight rules in an internet bill of sale, or verbally tell someone where to get them in a phone sale, so that people know that once you sign, you have a legal or quasilegal (IANAL...I am not a lawyer) statement that damage occurred after something was dropped off.

The problem isn't the rules, it's lack of knowlege of them, and the situation when it ends with someone having new damaged goods and being out money should be avoided at all costs. It certainly creates ill will and squelches repeat customers, and leads to things like postings on the internet. The goal of the retailer should be (for their business longevity also) to have happy customers who get undamaged goods, and who, when goods are received, properly attribute the damage so that there isn't an "oh...too late you signed, you're probably just another bad customer who is trying to rip us off because you damaged your equipment and want a free one" kind of situation going on.

scott vroom
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
I had a completely different experience with Grizzly on a damaged planer.

I received a G0453 2 years ago that was damaged intransit but the damage was not apparent on the outer carton except for 2 small hioles where the planer lift rods poked through. I should have caught it, but hastily signed and sent the driver on his way. That afternoon, upon discovering the damage, I sent pics of the damaged carton and planer damage to Grizzly cust svce. The pallet had obviously been dropped, probably toppled onto it's side. Grizzly scolded me for not being more carefull in inspecting the shipment, but they also agreed without argument to send a brand new planer...and they even put it intransit before the trucking company picked up the damaged planer. I think Grizzly customer service is awesome and I've never had any complaints.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2011, 1:14 PM
I went back and checked my last shipping notice from Grizzly and found this clearly stated:

Please read the following important delivery information:

The trucking company will notify you prior to delivery to make arrangements. Truck drivers are subject to a number of regulations, one of which is that they are not required to give any assistance in unloading. Please be prepared for this "curbside" delivery, as you are responsible for unloading the item(s) and placing them in your shop. This normally takes a number of "friends".

Please note, in the rare case of a damaged shipment on items marked F.O.B., it is imperative that you note any irregularities on the Bill of Lading. Carton holes, dents, tears, etc... should be noted on the form the driver gives to you to sign when you are accepting delivery.

David Castor
02-23-2011, 2:14 PM
FWIW, when I got my bandsaw from Grizzly, the crate had two large bright colored signs attached with stern warnings to note any shipping damage before signing anything. The language was blunt to the point of being rude, but the point was made, and I don't think anyone could have missed them. I do agree that drivers can be intimidating when it comes to writing down shipping damage. (Although the FedEx driver who delivered the bandsaw was very helpful and even indicated where the most likely points of damage would be.)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2011, 3:00 PM
The other thing you have take into consiration.

Everybody is different and how they react can have an effect too.

When my G0490X showed up, It was wet and I didn't want to try to get it across the grass into my shop for fear it would tear up my lawn. The trucker lowered it to the ground, using his pallet jack we moved it onto my carport. He then helped me unbox it as there was a hole punched in the box. We inspected and found no damage. He then went on his way.

I have been lucky with every delivery I have had. I've always paid for liftgate service and the truckers have always been more than accomodating.

Maybe they feel sorry for balding, fat old man?

Van Huskey
02-23-2011, 3:21 PM
I have been lucky with every delivery I have had. I've always paid for liftgate service and the truckers have always been more than accomodating.

Ken, my experience has been the same. I have always had great drivers who have gone out of their way. The last delivery I had was a bandsaw I knew would fit through my door on the pallet, I was prepared for this as I have gotten adept at dealing with 600-700 pound machines by myself. I have a ton of jacks, pallets, straps etc etc. I pretty much had to MAKE the guy leave, he didn't want to just leave it in front of the door.

On a related note that shipment was crated by a guy that buys and sells machines and if every machine was crated like his there would be far fewer shipping issues. That said I understand large companies are usually far better at determining the exact point where adding an extra $2 of packing material or labor actually loses money in in the big picture. In the OP's case I don't think any remotely practical shipping container could prevent damage of a 400-500 pound machine when dropped of the back of a truck.

I often read the stories about the common carrier delivery guys that don't do anything more than what they have to, which is pretty minimal, get it to the ground is all, assuming you paid for liftgate.

Ruhi Arslan
02-23-2011, 3:25 PM
I do agree that drivers can be intimidating when it comes to writing down shipping damage.
Like everyone, they have personalities and bosses telling them how/what to do, not to do as well. Some are more willing to help, others would do least possible that they can get away with it.
When I received a shipment of two boxes weighing 180 lbs each, they were supposed to be delivered to my apartment. No steps to climb and a service elevator available. driver wanted to leave them on the parking lot but he could deliver to my apartment for $150 cash. I refused to sign the delivery, turned and walked away. I was scared to leave $5K worth of speakers on the curb but I had to be the "intimidating one". I've called the shipper to confirm that it was meant to be delivered to my apartment not to the "curb side". At the end, boxes were delivered to my apartment but it took the driver an extra hour before he could go home. Later on, I received a hand written card with an apology from the local manager of the trucking company and the driver himself for not being professional. I think it was requested by the shipper to do so. I received a follow-up call to check if everything turned out as I would hope for.
I personally believe that it is the responsibility of the shipper (merchant) to complete the transaction which includes safe and complete delivery of the goods. "It is the trucking company that screwed up, not our responsibility" doesn't cut it for me. Although, I agree that the obvious damage must be noted properly.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2011, 3:34 PM
Ruhi,

Read the notices on all the websites where you buy equipment carefully. Most spell out that the shipping charges are for "Curb side" delivery which means it's your responsibility to get off the truck. If you pay for lift gate services it's trucker's responsibility to get it to the ground at the curb but that's it.

You can have any expectation you want but the trucking company has a legal contract with the shipper. What is spelled out in that contract is all they have a legal responsibility to provide.

Ruhi Arslan
02-23-2011, 3:49 PM
You can have any expectation you want but the trucking company has a legal contract with the shipper. What is spelled out in that contract is all they have a legal responsibility to provide.
I don't think I am saying otherwise. Shipper should have their contract in place accordingly to complete the delivery whether it requires a lift-gate or a forklift or whatever. They know what they are shipping and how heavy it is. It is shady to say the least to have "hidden" charges to complete the delivery. If the lift-gate is costing more, so be it, incorporate into the shipping cost. I expect to know before I make my purchasing decision without searching through fine print. Very simple... I am not suggesting that it is the case with this particular example of the merchant. There are many merchants out there, gives you the option to choose the delivery method - curb side, lift-gate, white glove or whatever. I see how much it costs me to have it delivered before I place my order.

Van Huskey
02-23-2011, 3:50 PM
Ruhi,

Read the notices on all the websites where you buy equipment carefully. Most spell out that the shipping charges are for "Curb side" delivery which means it's your responsibility to get off the truck. If you pay for lift gate services it's trucker's responsibility to get it to the ground at the curb but that's it.

Ken, there are options with at least some common carriers to do exactly what Ruhi talked about. They are occasionally referred to as "White Glove service", very common in large consumer electronics. It usually consists of bringing the item into the home, removing the packing material and taking the packing material away. I have not seen it offered for wood working machines but would bet that some carriers would extend this service, for a price obviously.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2011, 4:32 PM
Van,

I am aware of "white glove" service and I believe you can get it if you purchase through Amazon.

Most companies, however, point out on their website often on the webpage showing the merchandise and again at checkout and again in their FAQs and in their customer service webpage....that "curb side" means the driver will get it to the back of the truck. It's the customer's responsibility to get it off and into the shop. They also normally point out that "lift gate" service will get the device off the truck and onto the ground at the curb. It's still the customer's responsibility to get it to the shop.

The "white glove"service isn't the norm.

I'm telling you......I have been finding advantages to being old....looking well worn out, fat and balding.........it's taken me a while but I am beginning to think the truckers have been treating well out of sympathy!:eek::rolleyes:

Chris Fournier
02-23-2011, 4:58 PM
Rude and incompetent transportation companies aside I think that the consumer is once again sort of the starting point of the problem. By this I mean that Grizzly is pinching every penny not to put off their customers and I'm certain that shipping costs are a hot button issue. Lower costs, poorer service.

The fact that so much stuff gets damaged in transit is just plain disgusting and any amount of time at a warehouse will make you want to drag some jerk off a forklift and flog him. The guy piercing your goods with his forks I mean.

On a few occasions I've dealt with truckers that were unbearable, before they had even done their "job". In those cases I told them to get in their truck and turn around. "Don't worry I'll let your manager know why your load has not been recieved" was all I had to tell them. I then let them know that they personally would not be permitted back on site - period. In two cases we came to an understanding and got through it (the old "bad day" story - one which I too have used to explain poor behaviour). In the other case I was told to go $%^& myself. A few phone calls and a demand to see the regional sales rep of the company and we had a new trucker.

This being said I've dealt with some real transport professionals who took great pride in their work whether the goods were rough lumber or an expensive machine. For the most part it seems to me that the good truckers work for the good common carriers.

keith ouellette
02-23-2011, 6:59 PM
Ruhi,

Just to point out I did pay extra for a lift gate. grizzly asked me when i purchased the jointer if I would need a lift gate seeing It was being delivered to a residential address. I forget what the charge was. Even though the driver didn't use it It still didn't matter to anyone.

Now... When I had purchased a roblan x31 (long since returned to laguna) the driver made a point of telling me he was supposed to leave it at the street but seeing I was there to push it he would steer the pallet jack to my garage

Dave Lehnert
02-23-2011, 8:05 PM
I think Grizzly goes beyond the norm explaining the shipping process. I called once to just ask some questions about a bandsaw and they read through the process with me. I had not placed an order, just asking about the saw.

When you sign a shipment clear of damage from the trucker, Grizzly has no recourse to get money back for the damaged product. From the one who damaged the product in the first place. Grizzly just eats it.
I ran the dock doors at work for years. (Retail) I noted any and all nicks, cuts, holes etc... on the bill. ALWAYS! You have to if you want to protect yourself.

michael case
02-24-2011, 7:52 PM
Ken,

Lousy luck. I'm glad my wife never received a shipment for me or I KNOW I would be in the same boat. I guess the best thing now is to get to the bottom of the problem. If it shifts again I would take advantage of Grizzly's offer to walk you trough dismantling. If you find a broken part they may just send you a replacement and the problem will be solved. Sorry you had to go trough all this.

Rob Waldref
02-25-2011, 3:56 AM
What all of us can learn from this is that if you have something that's dropped, don't sign the release. It'll be awkward if you have an impatient freight guy, but it's obvious that grizzly isn't going to do anything about it.
(snip)
Grizzly has a chance to do better, they chose not to. Dealing with consumers and hiding behind the "rules" is not the same as dealing with commercial accounts where both parties know the rules.

I think you assume too much from reading about one persons experience. I actually have first hand experience. My grizzly planer was laying on it's side when the driver opened the door. I signed the waiver. I called grizzly, not to file a claim, but to notify them that there might be a claim if the planer was knocked out of whack. The only visible damage was a slightly deformed shifter knob, and some scuffed paint. They told me to inspect the machine closely, and call them back so they could make it right.
Well, the planer was fine, so I forgot about it. A few days later, they called me. Asked if everything was OK. I told them it was fine. A few days later a box arrived with touch-up paint and a new knob.
Not only did Grizzly not "hide behind" any rules, they were genuinely concerned with making me happy. I haven't had a lot of experience with other companies customer service, but I think Grizzly was really top-notch.
This all happened a couple years ago, so it's possible they have changed.

Mike Goetzke
02-25-2011, 8:26 AM
Thankfully I know what it's like as a hobbyist to have a couple of large machines delivered to my house. At least for me I have had good luck but in the preparation and excitement of getting a new toy/tool sometimes it's hard to think straight. Plus being inexperienced, as was mentioned above, some of us don't know what it means when we sign off. Plus it's the luck of the draw on the driver. Most are helpful/friendly but others just want to unload and go.

Now this is just me:

1) maybe the suppliers like Grizz could send us an e-mail or better yet call to explain to report even the slightest damage to the packaging.
2) a few years back when I bought a new Unisaw there was a warning sign on the outside of the packaging stating to check the tip indicator before signing. I forget what the device looked like but why don't they use these any more - might alleviate many headaches on both ends.

Good luck on the planer - if you need help on set up please e-mail me.

Mike

Matt Meiser
02-25-2011, 8:46 AM
1) maybe the suppliers like Grizz could send us an e-mail or better yet call to explain to report even the slightest damage to the packaging.

They DO do put it in an email. See my post above. I can't imagine calling being practical with the volume of shipments they do.

2) a few years back when I bought a new Unisaw there was a warning sign on the outside of the packaging stating to check the tip indicator before signing. I forget what the device looked like but why don't they use these any more - might alleviate many headaches on both ends.

I don't recall if there were any on my Grizzly shipment, but there there was one of those on the Jet J/P I just received in January.

Mike Goetzke
02-25-2011, 8:53 AM
They DO do put it in an email. See my post above. I can't imagine calling being practical with the volume of shipments they do.

I don't recall if there were any on my Grizzly shipment, but there there was one of those on the Jet J/P I just received in January.

Sorry I missed your post but most suppliers do call before shipment and the message could be reiterated then?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Mike,

In the two shipments I got from Grizzly.....the trucker did call.

Curt Harms
02-26-2011, 8:33 AM
Mike,

In the two shipments I got from Grizzly.....the trucker did call.

I've had one machine delivered, Jet J/P. The others I've either picked up from Grizzly in Muncy or from a retailer. I bought the J/P from equipment sales & surplus in Auburn, WA. Mine was in the second lot imported into the U.S. and was drop shipped from LaVergne, TN. The trucker did call and asked "Do you have a dock?" Me: no. Trucker: do you know someone with a dock? Me: No. I met the semi in a parking lot near my house. The crate was in excellent condition but the trailer didn't have a lift gate. I called Neil at equipment sales, he was not happy, he had paid for lift gate delivery. Everyone was courteous and a smaller trailer appeared next day with a lift gate. Sometimes the ball just gets dropped. All was well that ended well. If I had taken 2 days off from work for this I'd not have been happy but I was home anyway.