PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about this band saw.

keith micinski
02-21-2011, 10:27 PM
I need this band saw like I need a hole in my head. Someone please tell me that the saw is totaled and not worth fixing.
http://holland.craigslist.org/tls/2223525399.html

John McClanahan
02-21-2011, 11:11 PM
It's a heck of a deal if you can fix it!

John

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't see the damage, but the photo is of the area that gets the most stress when the blade gets tensioned. If you're a good welder, it'd be worth a try at this price. But if you're not an accomplished welder, you should pass.

You did notice that it is a 3-phase saw, right? Do you have 3-phase available? If not, add enough to your budget to cover that too.

Stephen Cherry
02-22-2011, 12:17 AM
I'd try to find a body shop that would bend it back, then weld on some reinforcements. You'll need someone with a sense of humor.

david brum
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Is that an older Grizzly saw, maybe 24"? With a foot brake? If you can weld or have a buddy that can do the job, you'd have a heck of a saw for pretty cheap. It looks like the current 24" saw uses a 5hp motor. You would definitely have to work out the 3 phase problem, which could easily add several hundred more dollars to the price if you can find a used 1750rpm single phase motor. You'd still save around 2K though, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Van Huskey
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM
My first inclination is run Forrest run. But, if you and or your buddies are adept with metal AND want a project it might be fun, but like Vegas only gamble with money you are willing to lose or try to recoup by parting out, though not many people are going to be looking for anything but the generic parts, it isn't a Yates-American. As others have noted it is 3 phase, if you have 3 phase fine if not add a VFD or RPC or single phase motor to the shopping list. Next it fell of a truck, if the only thing is wrong is the frame I would be very surprised, I would go through the trunnions and table VERY closely. Finally this is an OLD (in Grizzly terms) saw and unlike the US gone Asian importer brands Grizzly's quality has sky rocketed since this old war horse was welded up. Point being you aren't going to have near even a modern Grizzly even if it was mint. Compared to the used value of a Delta 28-350 or PM 81 (both 20" saws but good ones) I would pay maybe 400-500 bucks for this ready to run so I guess in the end running would still be my suggestion.

Myk Rian
02-22-2011, 8:02 AM
Makes you wonder what the end that hit the floor looks like. Something else has to be bent.

keith micinski
02-22-2011, 1:58 PM
Ya, I was kind of thinking the same thing about Grizzly quality actually being worse 20 years ago to. I'll pass on it but man it seems like there might be enough saw there to justify taking a chance on it. If I had more room in my shop I would buy it and take my chances.

Chip Lindley
02-22-2011, 6:18 PM
Near as I can tell, the up-close photo is of the "back" (main frame) of the saw that is bent. An auto body frame shop might be able to use their hydraulics to straighten the saw and reinforce it with welded plates, as suggested above. For $350, it's certainly worth a closer look!!! But, LQQK REALLY close for other cracked or broken parts. If it's an older model BS, parts may not be available.