PDA

View Full Version : AAW Symposium 2011

Greg Just
02-21-2011, 8:36 PM
I have never been to the national AAW Symposium but I'm planning to attend the one this year in St. Paul. The question I have for those who have attended in the past, are the deals on tools worth waiting for? I'm planning to upgrade my lathe this year and can certainly wait until then. Or, can I do just as well with a sale. Thanks in advance.

Dan Henry
02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Greg
Yes I think it would be wise to wait for the AAW symposium to by a lathe or any other big ticket item such as chucks or high dollar other tools, there are usually some very good buys. Some times I have seem good prices and free shipping. There should be some great Wood buys also.

Dan

Brian McInturff
02-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I think it really depends on which lathe. I know on the Stubby you don't really get any "discount". I'm not sure you do on the Oneway either. You may on the PM but I bet you can get the same deal now from a couple of the vendors if you tell them they could make the sale now.

charlie knighton
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
the lathes that are used in the rotations will probably be sold before the symposium starts

new lathes shipped from factory will be discounted, how much depends on supply and demand

one of the best things is that you can see exactly what you are getting, compare one vendor to the other

you can email or phone the lathe vendors and find out if they are providing lathes for the rotations, vendors are listed on aaw site

Brian McInturff
02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
I know the only benefit of picking a Stubby up at the symposium is all the cosmoline is cleaned off and it's assembled. No discount. And I remember someone telling me that the Oneway wasn't offering discounts at the shows because of supply and demand. You are correct about being able to compare them pretty much all at one place. If you have a chance you need to spend a little time turning on whichever ones you are considering and then decide which one to buy. It's a lot of money to spend on a lathe only to get it home and not like it. I thought for sure I wanted a VB36. Was about to write the big check and one came on the market close enough for me to go check it out. I played with it a little and really liked it, except I needed a platform to stand on to be comfortable.I'm not short, about 5'10". I thought about the safety aspect of having to have a platform and how my small shop is arranged. I decided then on the stubby which I really liked when I turned on it. I've never regretted that decision. Do your "due diligence" before making the big purchase.

Gary Max
02-22-2011, 4:42 AM
Greg the last AAW symposium we went to was unreal. Just think a large room of vendors selling turning stuff. The smartest think I would share with you is leave the plastic at home. Oh you really want to arrive early to get the best selection.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-22-2011, 8:45 AM
Greg,
You can save the shipping if you buy at the show. If you are lucky enough and the lathe you want does not get sold (not likely) you may save a few additional bucks. If I wanted a new lathe now, the amount I could save at the show would not be worth the wait.
faust

Scott Hackler
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm planning on making the 11 hour drive to attend and am scared to see a bunch of cool tools at great prices! I would love to upgrade the lathe but finances aren't going to allow that this year. Hopefully there will be a great price on burls! If so, I'm going to LOAD UP ON BURL! No shipping means extra money to spend. :)

jeff schnell
02-22-2011, 1:19 PM
I've gone to 2 of the AAW Symposiums and really didn't see much of a discount on lathes except you wouldn't pay for shipping. I did purchase some scratched and dented things at a good discount. I did like seeing new tools in person. Also the wood prices are good and on Sunday the prices on the wood was evern better. I also got to buy a few turnings for my collection in the auction. Hope to see everyone there, I'll have a camera and camcorder hanging around my neck.

Brodie Brickey
02-22-2011, 2:20 PM
If you're looking at a larger lathe, it will give you the option to shop them side-by-side. You might also be able to purchase the lathe at discount, especially if you can take it off their hands at the show so they don't have to transport it.

The symposium itself will give you an opportunity to see a number of top turners doing their specialty projects and techniques. The gallery will also give you ideas about new concepts in wood turning.

In 2003, there were only a two decorative oriented sessions. By 2008, there were easily eight. The symposium really gives you an opportunity to see what direction some of the artists are pushing wood turning.