PDA

View Full Version : Hardwoods in Seattle, Washington

Kyle Stiefel
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
To all of those down in the great NW around Seattle I was hoping for some input. I live in SE Alaska so I can bring stuff up easy on the barge lines which leave the ports there. I have heard numerous good things about CROSSCUT HARDWOODS so I figured I would order some Walnut and Ash, about a 100bf and a couple of sheet goods. I know this isn't a massive order but to me it seems fairly significant. To get to the point I faxed down the order more then a week ago and the gentleman I am working with has told me on 3 different times he would call (hasn't happened I always have to call). The order still isn't completed which is not the problem, it is that my calls aren't returned. I don't know if this guy is even doing anything and I hate to call down to talk to the manager. Heck, usually people at these places are pretty down to earth and nice to work with.

Finally my question is can any of you recommend a good hardwood supplier in the Seattle area?

Sorry so long winded guys and gals I am just anxious to get started on making a rocker for my dear mother and the other lady in my life.

Thanks,
Kyle

Jim VanBramer
01-20-2005, 12:07 AM
There's a place almost right across the street from Crosscut ..... Compton Lumber. Prices are actually just a little bit better, and possibly the customer service as well. (206)623-5010

Best of luck.

Jim V

Jim Barrett
01-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I live up on Whidbey Island and purchase from Edensaw www.edensaw.com (http://www.edensaw.com) They are located in Port Townsend.

Jim

Paul Franklin
01-20-2005, 3:13 AM
Kyle
First I would go Compton Lumber, There selection in my opinion is better, there prices are great and there service is great. Also Edensaw is good, but the selection is not as deep, but great service, they also have a larger office in Renton (S. Seattle)

Paul

Larry Crim
01-20-2005, 9:57 AM
Kyle I agree with Paul I like Compton especially for the notmal hard wood
like ash, walnut and oak. Plus they have a good selection on ply's at a decent price. Crosscuts is good for the more exotic woods or harder to find stuff but sometimes they tend to be a little expensive and a smaller inventory. Also if you do a search on the for sale section of this forum you will find about 3 local guys that sell out of their home and have access to kilns and sawmills.
good luck
Pat

Bob Smalser
01-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Give this ex-arborist a call while you're at it:

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/

Many local sawyers will have plenty of Bigleaf Maple cheap, if you want that. Runs about $.45/BF in the log.

You might also log onto Woodnet and ask there....there's a local sawyer often mentioned there east of Seattle many use with reportedly a good selection and much better prices than retail.

Kyle Stiefel
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey I just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I will look into these leads. Have a good one.

Thanks,
Kyle

Aaron Heck
01-20-2005, 1:12 PM
I live up on Whidbey Island and purchase from Edensaw www.edensaw.com (http://www.edensaw.com) They are located in Port Townsend.

Jim

We went on an Alaskan cruise last fall and the beginning sort was Seattle. We flew up a few days early and went to Port Townsend for a day. I remember there was this little shop, a block off the main street, and this guy built some really cool stuff. He seemed to specialize in tables and such made from really cools slabs of wood. I also remember he made some super ncie bandsaw boxes and other knick-nacks like that. Really a neat little shop. I actually still have his business card in my wallet.