PDA

View Full Version : Not bad for firewood...

Bob Rotche
02-21-2011, 7:21 PM
This bowl is spalted box elder from a tree I had taken down a couple of years ago. Still have a few trunk sections spalting away on the woodpile, better cut them up before they're too far gone! It is 9 1/2 inches diameter, 2 3/4 tall, about 3/16 toward the top, a bit thicker at the bottom. Danish oil and Beall buffed. C+C appreciated.

Bob

Dennis Ford
02-21-2011, 7:25 PM
I like it! It has a nice shape, the thickness is right and the wood is great. The foot is a little bit taller than I would prefer but it is a keeper for sure.

Bruce Lundgren
02-21-2011, 7:31 PM
Bob, Love the proportions!The spalting is super. Good luck with the remaining blanks.

Harry Robinette
02-21-2011, 7:39 PM
Bob
Really nice,wood looks good nice shape and finish I like it

John Keeton
02-21-2011, 8:03 PM
Bob, I am a "footed bowl" person, and this is a wonderful example of a very nice ogee form. Great wood, and beautifully finished! You have been holding out on us - been a creeker for over a year and secretly doing beautiful bowls and not telling us!

Roger Chandler
02-21-2011, 8:21 PM
Great form on the bowl......nice ogee, and the grain is pretty. I also like a foot on a bowl, but I think this one should have been just a little smaller to have made your form perfect, maybe another 3/4 inch less in diameter for the foot. Just my eye and my opinion, but you have a great bowl here......nice work!

Rich Aldrich
02-21-2011, 8:52 PM
Nice work, Bob. Great save from the wood stove also. I like the form and color. The finish looks really good.

Richard Madden
02-21-2011, 8:57 PM
I like it. The wood is very nice and the ogee shape is right on. Personally, I like the foot. Excellent!

Dick Mahany
02-21-2011, 9:01 PM
Bob,

The spalting and form are simply wonderful. Nice work on the footed bowl, aand I like the dark background for the photos. Wish I could find box elder in these parts.

David E Keller
02-21-2011, 9:24 PM
Nice looking bowl, and I like the foot on this one(which is unusual for me). I can't imagine that boxelder makes great firewood, so I'd turn the rest of this stuff.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2011, 9:42 PM
This works! Beautiful wood, very nice form and a great finish that showcases the grain! Can't ask for anything more than that!

I agree with John - looks like you've been holding out on us! Looking froward to seeing more of your work!

Brian McInturff
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Another beauty here. On the foot it does seem like it's missing something whether that be a bead , smaller, or not as tall. But, overall I think it came out great. The not being off-center gives it an illusion in the third pic of being oval which I think is really cool. You couldn't have had any better orientation of the spalting or grain. I like the finish too. That "simple" form seems to be the one I mess up more times than not. I'm usually off on my proportions of the ogee. You better guard your firewood stash, I got a feeling other creekers may be raiding it if you have that kind of firewood.:D

Dan Forman
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Fabulous wood and a form to do it justice. Well done.

Dan

Baxter Smith
02-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Great wood, great form, great finish. Very well done! I noticed the foot right away. That may or may not be an indication that it is perhaps a little tall for my tastes.

Ron Bontz
02-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Beautiful color grain and form.

Mark Hubl
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Nice bowl. You did a great job on that shape. One of my favorites. That spalted wood looks great, hope you have some more.

Bob Rotche
02-22-2011, 8:00 AM
Thank you all for the words of encouragement and suggestions about the foot. I'm still trying to figure out what I really like in terms of form and often find that its hard to really see it while its still on the lathe. I take it off and think, "wow, that curve should have been pulled in much further" or "that base should really have been smaller", etc. Of course, at that point its too late to do much about it but I always learn something for next time.

John and Steve, you're right, I have been lurking for over a year and just started posting. Partly due to lazyness and partly due to being my own harshest critic. Believe me, I have thrown out many a serviceable bowl because I can't bring myself to put my name on something that I'm not proud of. I don't really mind though because for me, at this point, its all about the process of becoming a better turner rather than putting out a product. This posting thing, however, is addictive and I truly believe that the talent on this board will help me elevate my turning to the next level so expect to see more soon!

Marc Himes
02-22-2011, 8:26 AM
Nice job on the bowl, Bob. The wood has lots of character. Great photo too.

Marc Himes

bob svoboda
02-22-2011, 9:08 AM
Nice form, nice finish, nice wood, nice bowl!

Jim Burr
02-22-2011, 9:41 AM
Gotta love pulling something beautiful out of the trash. Well done sir!

Michael Short
02-22-2011, 6:55 PM
It's nice to find the suprise in firewood. There is are alot of treasures to be found.

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Great bowl Bob. Nice save from the fire.

Tony Pridmore
02-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Bob, you turned a really nice curve on that bowl. I find the ogee to be a difficult shape to get right. Excellent bowl!