PDA

View Full Version : Laser cuttable fabric?

dave hensley
02-21-2011, 7:18 PM
I've had a client ask about name "tags" for their uniforms and I've heard about fabric that can be laser cut and attached to clothing. I don't know any more than that though.

Can anyone recommend a suitable product for this type of application and a possible source or two?

Thanks! :)

Tony Lenkic
02-21-2011, 7:25 PM
Stahls has twill material you can cut with laser and heat press apply to fabric.

Larry Bratton
02-21-2011, 7:27 PM
Most all fabric can be laser cut, the question is, how do you imprint it and attach it. I would be interested to see more comment on this also.

Doug Griffith
02-21-2011, 7:50 PM
I've cut loads of fabric on the laser and never had a problem. All different types too. You can buy sheets of steam-a-seam and apply it to the fabric prior to cutting. One thing I've noticed about cutting fabric, it flares up more than any other material I've worked with. Don't take your eyes off it.

Dee Gallo
02-21-2011, 7:51 PM
I've done lots of denim and canvas iron-on patches using standard patch material, from fabric stores or cheaper (10 for $1) at any dollar store. The darker colors work best but they all look good. Here is a pic of one of the designs I did last summer. You can cut them into shapes as well. I've also done some with old jeans, then ironed on with stitch-witchery.

cheers, dee

edit: I used air assist to control flaring, so I put some double faced tape on the bed and nothing moved.

another edit: Epilog has some tutorials on their site which show you how to work with fabric step by step. I think they customize cloth napkins.

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2011, 7:55 PM
Polar Fleece not only cuts well, but you can engrave it beautifully. For tags, cutting by laser seems like overkill. My wife does tags for her quilts on her embroidery machine, cuts with scissors then sews them on.

dave hensley
02-21-2011, 8:12 PM
Thanks everyone!! I wish all forums has such helpful member! :D

Dee - are those patches "etched" as well?

Dee Gallo
02-21-2011, 9:02 PM
Yes, Dave. The designs are raster engraved. Settings 100 sp/30-40 power. I've also done felt, 100 sp/40 power. Too much power and you go right through.:)

cheers, dee

Chuck Frysinger
02-21-2011, 9:52 PM
Look up twillusa.com

Richard Link
08-30-2011, 9:41 PM
I'm interested in some more information on cutting fabric as I've not done that before with the laser. When cutting fabric, do you use the honeycomb table or just the metal perforated plate used for engraving? Is there a problem with "splash back" from the laser on the back of the fabric? Can I just attach the fabric to the table using the metal plate with small magnets and just cut away?

Michael Kowalczyk
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Richard,
You will find that the cutout parts fly into your exhaust and clog it up if you have a lot of small cutouts. I have a vacuum table for mine and you have to adjust the laser so it's a kiss cut so you don't get flashback. What size table do you have? if it is a 24x36 I have one. PM me if you are interested. I've cut a bunch of organic material and synthetics and the organics are much nicer to work with. Organza and Chiffon are challenging. I did a bunch of work for one of the winners of "Top Designer" and it was fun getting the settings just right. The other hard thing is getting them to lay flat when they come off of a roll or are folded. Either iron them flat or get a vac table. If you stretch them you will distort the material if it is a loose weave.

Go to a fabric store and just buy a ton of scraps or remnant rolls, see which ones you like the end results and have some fun.

Neil Pabia
08-31-2011, 2:47 PM
I cut a lot of felt padding for a customers auto upholstry shop, he does some beautiful custom inlays and his work has improved since we started working together on it, but it stinks pretty bad. It is wool felt so basically I am burning hair.

Chuck Stone
08-31-2011, 5:23 PM
that should make a nice addition to burned antler smells in the shop..