PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak

Richard Kennedy UK
02-21-2011, 6:38 PM
Has anyone turned it? What is Sheoak like to use? I have been given some and I hope to make some mini hollow forms but any tips on getting the best from it would be appreciated!

Richard

David E Keller
02-21-2011, 6:47 PM
I just turned a HF from a piece a few weeks ago, but I've been too lazy to turn the finial/lid that it needs for completion. I didn't have any particular issues with turning it, but I'm told it can be prone to cracking like most oaks. It's dense and heavy like almost everything I've gotten from Australia, but it's not as hard/dense as most of the Aussie burls I've encountered. I used my typical BLO/shellac/WOP finish, and I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'll post it here if I ever get around to finishing the lid/finial. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Richard Kennedy UK
02-21-2011, 6:57 PM
Thanks David

I have never tried it before and with it being Australian I was a bit concerned it would be rock hard. I am going to make some small hollow forms but I won't be doing finials - not my scene! I have a new set of mini kelton hollowers I am hoping will be perfect for what I have in mind if they come out ok I will try and post one or two.

Thanks again

Mark Levitski
02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
When you turn them upside down, how do you tell a sheoak from a heoak? (Couldn't resist :D)

John Beaver
02-22-2011, 7:06 PM
Turns similar to most oak. The grain is a little less porous and deep then other oaks. Usually has a little more variation then white or red oak. I'm sure you can put it to good use.

Cathy Schaewe
02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I've read some comments about it being difficult, mostly due to cracking, from those who've turned it, but I never have. It appears to be a beautiful wood, though. (Although since I've started turning, just about any wood is beautiful!). Can't wait to see what you come up with -

Leo Van Der Loo
02-23-2011, 2:17 AM
She-Oak is not an Oak, has needle like leaves but isn't a conifer either, there are a few species of She-Oak.

I never turned She-oak, however I read and heard about it, (Richard Raffan)
Here's some info I found.

Neil Strong
02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
When you turn them upside down, how do you tell a sheoak from a heoak? (Couldn't resist :D)

Actually it's sheoak and bulloak (or buloke)....:D

As you can see form the sp. list within the genus, Allocasuarina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allocasuarina_luehmannii), there are are many variations.

If it's still green it will split along the medullary array as it dries. If it's fully seasoned it will have already split. That is just the way it is, but it's a lovely wood and well worth the struggle.