PDA

View Full Version : The Copper Nugget - The Updated Version

John Keeton
02-21-2011, 5:27 PM
Some of you may recall The Copper Necklace I did a couple months ago. I used the same technique to do the collar on this one. 4.75" w x 5.5" t, it is Claro Walnut with an African Blackwood finial. The finish is a few coats of shellac rubbed back to the wood, with three coats of WOP.

I know I have said this many times, but I LOVE turning Claro walnut!! This is another of the many, many pieces I have purchased from Mike Smith. It is extremely stable, and all of it is just beautiful - and, a dream to turn and hollow!

If you like it, let me know. And, if you don't like it...well, let me know that too!:o

Donny Lawson
02-21-2011, 5:31 PM
That is one excellent piece. I wish I was half as tallented as you. Thanks.

Brian Libby
02-21-2011, 5:31 PM
A great looking piece! I like everything about it.

David Warkentin
02-21-2011, 5:32 PM
Allow me to be the third person to say that I like it!!

dan carter
02-21-2011, 5:33 PM
Nice classic shape. The finial suits it well.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2011, 5:34 PM
Beautiful work John! Amazing Walnut - for sure! The copper ring looks great and adds a new level dimension of color to the piece! Also like how you captured the form within the finial!

Very nice work John! Looks like you are developing your own style with these! Thanks for sharing!

Allen stagg
02-21-2011, 5:37 PM
I found the following things wrong........................NOTHING!
It is striking. I really love the contrasting wood in the finial as a bonus. Beautiful.

Doug W Swanson
02-21-2011, 5:40 PM
John,
Excellent work once again. The color of the walnut is really nice. Great job on the form, too!

I may have to try some of that Claro!

Dale Bright
02-21-2011, 6:35 PM
John, very well done!!! You have truned a beautiful lump of wood into a beautiful piece of art.

Dale

gary Zimmel
02-21-2011, 6:41 PM
One more winner John. The copper ring adds the final touch.

David E Keller
02-21-2011, 6:42 PM
I like this piece a lot. The copper leaf treatment around the opening is really nice, and the leaf on the captured form in the finial is a nice compliment(at least I think you did leaf on it). The proportions look good to me, and the transition from lid to finial is perfect. Although I know our tastes differ in this area, I'd love to see a smaller base on the piece... Purely my personal preference. It's another winner from you.

Tim Thiebaut
02-21-2011, 6:59 PM
John that is just beatiful! I have only turned one piece of claro so far and it was very enjoyable, the piece is finished being turned but waiting on some getting some vinces sanding stuff in to finish it off. You certianly have this form down pat, another great one from you!

Jim Burr
02-21-2011, 7:09 PM
I can't offer anything other than wow!!! Except..I think the finial would have looked better coming to a point rather than a knob...just my .02 HO

Dennis Ford
02-21-2011, 7:33 PM
That is a fantastic piece. I love everything about it.

Lee Koepke
02-21-2011, 8:01 PM
The Claro Walnut is quickly becoming one of my favorite woods ... maybe its the artist, maybe its the wood, whichever the case, you bring out the best of what Mother Nature has created....

Roger Chandler
02-21-2011, 8:17 PM
Another beauty John! I think the form is very good. The collar is just exquisite, and who can not love the grain on that Claro. I think your finial is elegant, as the curve off the form is just very nice and proceeds to lead the eye to a slender looking spire.

I think Mike Smith is going to get a call from me soon!

Greg Just
02-21-2011, 8:29 PM
Another beauty. The grain in that walnut is spectacular. Any chance of a close-up of the copper ring?

John Keeton
02-21-2011, 8:39 PM
Thanks so much, guys!

Greg, I tried to crop up close on one of the pics to show the collar a bit better. I have already broken down the tent - sorry, and hope this one shows enough for you.

Roger, you definitely need to call Mike!

Dick Mahany
02-21-2011, 8:44 PM
John,

That claro is indeed beautiful. The form and the inlay are gorgeous. I've been following your pics closely and am thinking about trying my hand at finials, but they seem so intimidating. You make them really stand out.

Wally Dickerman
02-21-2011, 8:55 PM
Another great piece John. Wish I could turn walnut. I turned a lot of it for years but developed an allergy to walnut dust.

I must have missed something. Could you explain a bit about the copper necklace and how it's done?

Wally

Rich Aldrich
02-21-2011, 8:57 PM
Nice wood and great finish. I like the form and the finial. I like Claro walnut, also but I havent turned any yet.

When I was a Senior in high school, I bought a 7 MM Magnum instead of a class ring and made my a stock for it out of Claro walnut. I bought it from a place called Herters, which is now Cabelas. The stock came out nice and is still in great shape 31 years later.

John Keeton
02-21-2011, 9:53 PM
Dick, you need to give the finial thing a go - they are fun!

Wally, I also have a slight allergy for walnut. If I breath the dust I get flu like symptoms - aching, etc. Since installing a DC system I no longer have any issues. The copper ring is just a recess filled with black System Three epoxy and little squares (about 3/16" +/-) of copper craft foil. I push them into the epoxy with an 1/8" dowel, deforming them. That gives them a three dimensional look. When I turn off the excess, there are voids and little pockets where there is some "pull out" of the copper. I mix some 5 minute epoxy and fill those areas and sand it down.

Rich, I remember very well the era of custom gunstocks - did one myself from a piece of Claro from Fajen back "in the day!" Went from that to building longrifles for several years.

Baxter Smith
02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Very nice John! The wood, form and finish is impressive as usual. Of all the embellisments you have done, the copper foil is my favorite. My first thought when looking at it this afternoon was that the little HF replica on the finial didn't quite fit in color. What immediately crossed my mind was the thought, could that embellishment on the finial be done out of the epoxy and copper foil? Pour it into a wooden mold like you might for a sinker or muzzel loader slug, then turn away the wooden mold and be left with the same shape as you have now. Probably a far out thought but if anyone could pull it off....:) it might be you.!

Brian McInturff
02-21-2011, 10:21 PM
John, that's a winner if ever I saw one. I really, really, like this form. The copper gives it the WoW! factor also. I can't think of anything left for you to do on this piece except - - - -Pat yourself on the back, Another job well done!

On the Claro and Mike Smith How do I go about getting some from him. I love turning Walnut but haven't found any nice since I got some from Mark Norman a couple years ago when he was building that massive lathe.

David E Keller
02-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I turned a lot of it for years but developed an allergy to walnut dust.

Wally

I've had some issue with walnut as well... Mostly headaches and bad sinus stuff. Since I got a dust collector, I've turned a few pieces without any trouble at all. You've probably already got a dust set-up, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Mark Hubl
02-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Another nice "Keeton". John, I really like the look of the copper with the walnut. Wonderful chunk of wood and finish. The top of the finial is a bit funky.

Curt Fuller
02-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmman! That is incredibly pretty!

Kathy Marshall
02-22-2011, 1:16 AM
Beautiful piece John! I love everything about it!

Michelle Rich
02-22-2011, 6:04 AM
:):D it's a beauty..the lighter wood in the finial is a great touch

John Keeton
02-22-2011, 6:37 AM
Thanks, Guys and Gals, for the additional comments!
...could that embellishment on the finial be done out of the epoxy and copper foil? Pour it into a wooden mold like you might for a sinker or muzzel loader slug, then turn away the wooden mold and be left with the same shape as you have now. Probably a far out thought but if anyone could pull it off....:) it might be you.!Baxter, I used copper paint on the finial of this one, and I probably will copper leaf it. I don't particularly care for the color of the paint, either. Funny, though, that you should mention "casting" a piece. On the first copper piece I actually cast an epoxy finial blank to see if I could get a portion of the finial done as you indicated. There were two problems - the epoxy doesn't lend itself to being turned without support - it shatters. And, the copper flakes settled into a large mass without any character.

On the Claro and Mike Smith How do I go about getting some from him.Brian, Mike's website is http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/ His home and cell phone numbers are listed there. Give him a call - very nice fellow with some good wood at very good prices. And, he was a sponsor for our turning contest last fall!

steven carter
02-22-2011, 9:36 AM
Beautiful as usual John! Great form, and I really like the finial. Wondering what it would look like with a small band of epoxy&foil on the finial just below the cove near the base? Just a thought, I know it would be small, maybe too small, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be you.

Brian Effinger
02-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Oooooo!!! Pretty! :) I really like the double form finial.

Baxter, I used copper paint on the finial of this one, and I probably will copper leaf it. I don't particularly care for the color of the paint, either. Funny, though, that you should mention "casting" a piece. On the first copper piece I actually cast an epoxy finial blank to see if I could get a portion of the finial done as you indicated.
What about turning a small solid piece of copper. ;) I believe there are some alloys that are machinable.

John Keeton
02-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Steve, thanks for the thought! On this piece, I attempted a minature of the form, with an epoxy band and embedded copper. Notwithstanding cutting the copper in very small pieces, I had difficulty in keeping it in the recess. There apparently was not enough epoxy in a tiny recess to create a bond that would withstand cutting/sanding.

Brian, I did pick up a piece of soft copper wire - #4, and I do intend to experiment with that some. You are correct in that certain alloys are more machinable than others. I spoke with Dale Miner about this, as he has done quite a bit of metal work. He has indicated that the harder copper might actually work better, but that brass is much easier to turn. At some point, I will see if I can get brass craft foil and that may allow similar applications, but with brass. That way, one could actually turn some brass elements for a finial. Lots of ideas - not near enough time!!

Cathy Schaewe
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Wow, miss a day, miss a real beauty! This piece is gorgeous, which of course is what we've all come to expect from JK!

For those considering it, I've gotten several pieces of claro from Mike Smith, and they've all been extremely nice - great figure.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2011, 11:00 AM
John.....simply stunning............

Scott Hackler
02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
John, this one is extra nice. I love the shape of the form and the copper accents in the form. The only so-so thing for me is the copper accent in the finial. Not because there is copper color in the finial (which I like) but that its not a mimic of the copper treatment in the form itself.

Excellent work, as usual.

Rob Cunningham
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
That's a beautiful piece John. Great form and a very nice finish.

John Keeton
02-22-2011, 5:42 PM
There were a few comments here, and some on WoW, that thought the color of the bead in the finial was distracting. Well, I have either helped it or made it considerably more distracting! I painted it black, and copper leaved only portions of the bead in an attempt to replicate to some degree the collar treatment. This also gives it a true copper metallic look vs. the copper paint that was used.

I kind of like it better, but what are your thoughts? Is this an improvement??

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2011, 5:51 PM
John - sure helps tie it in! As far as I am concerned - it's an improvement - even though I didn't think one was needed!

Baxter Smith
02-22-2011, 6:01 PM
Definitely better! but:)... the ring appears mostly black to me with copper highlights, the bead appears mostly copper with black highlights. Any of that black paint left?;) I still think its a better fit and even more beautiful!

Scott Hackler
02-22-2011, 7:26 PM
A definite improvement. I think that the imagery is a little forced with this one because of the two mediums being different.... they aren't a perfect match. It is very close and I would imagine that from a normal viewing distance it blends well. I would think a resin casting might be in the idea box for the next one.

John Keeton
02-22-2011, 7:32 PM
Steve, Baxter and Scott - thanks for stopping back in for another look! For those that have not worked with leaf, the adhesive is thin, and on a small rounded surface, it is a little difficult to place it where you want it. One must avoid pooling, and that means you work with almost a dry brush. On a black surface, it is hard to tell what you have done - particularly on such a small area. I think I could do better on the next one, but probably did as well as I could on this one - if that makes sense!

Scott, gravity is the main problem with a casting. I have not used resin, and it may be more "supportive" of the copper. The epoxy let them flakes settle to the bottom and clump. And, it is black, so you can't tell until it is set and you work with it!

Brian McInturff
02-22-2011, 7:34 PM
John,
I like it better than the first one. Seems to be more in sync.

Mark Hubl
02-22-2011, 7:36 PM
Well, I keep looking back and forth and I am swaying towards your original. I like the subtly of the first bead. The second looks ok, but I am with Steve, I didn't think it needed a change.

Curt Fuller
02-22-2011, 8:01 PM
I think I like the original better. It's not that I don't like the revised finial, it really looks sharp. But it's maybe just a little too razzle dazzle sparkly for me.

David E Keller
02-22-2011, 8:16 PM
I like the updated version as well, and I think I prefer it to the first version mainly because the copper color is the same. I haven't done any casting, so I don't know if the acrylic resins would prevent the settling you describe with the foil. You could certainly cast it in layers which would allow for some material at each of the different levels, but that process sounds a little more than tedious, and I'm not sure how well the layers would stick to one another. I know you're not a penturner, but the IAP site has a forum just for casting... Several of the members there could likely help you with tricks for casting foil if it's something that really interests you. In fact, some of the folks there would likely be willing to do the casting for you.

Cathy Schaewe
02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
I like this one ... FWIW

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Beautiful piece John out of some great looking Claro. Nicely done.

Sid Matheny
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
If you like it, let me know. And, if you don't like it...well, let me know that too!:o

WOW! What is there not to like on that one! Yet another wonderful turning John.

Sid

charlie knighton
02-23-2011, 1:48 PM
John, it is very nice, i sort of need 3 eyes to look at it, high gloss on main turning, ring, finial

the one picture of bottom with finial i was ok with focus, seems my eyes get overwhelmed when i try to see all the detail at once

now about this cheming gum and walking downstairs......downright dangerous

John Keeton
02-23-2011, 2:53 PM
John, it is very nice, i sort of need 3 eyes to look at it, high gloss on main turning, ring, finial

the one picture of bottom with finial i was ok with focus, seems my eyes get overwhelmed when i try to see all the detail at once

now about this cheming gum and walking downstairs......downright dangerousCharlie, for goodness sake, don't try to chew gum and look at this turning at the same time - choking can be a hazard, too!!:eek:

I really appreciate the additional comments. I realize that pleasing everyone is not in the cards on this type of turning, but I was pretty happy with the change on the finial.

David K. has some really neat ideas, and we have PMd about some possibilities - never know what might come of that!;)

Ron Stadler
02-23-2011, 4:29 PM
Very cool John, like the update version even more.

Art Manansala
02-23-2011, 5:50 PM
Wow, just gorgeous. I love the finial on this one - is it naturally that black or did you color it?

Russell Eaton
02-23-2011, 6:43 PM
What's not to like about that.

John Keeton
02-23-2011, 7:01 PM
Thanks, Ron and Russell!

Wow, just gorgeous. I love the finial on this one - is it naturally that black or did you color it?Art, it is African Blackwood, and while some of it will have variations in the color - gray/brown - most of what I have purchased finishes out quite black. This has been lacquered, and that enhances the black, as well. The bead has been painted black as it was actually a walnut bead to begin with, first painted copper, then black and leafed.

Jack Mincey
02-23-2011, 8:14 PM
John,
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but I'm glad that I checked it out. Out of all your wonderful work this is my favorite. It is just as close to perfect in form and beautiful grained wood as I've seen. I got a large block of Mike's claro walnut for part of my prize wood from him. I will have to try and use it soon. I can only hope to come up with a use of it that will show it off like you have.
Jack

John Keeton
02-23-2011, 9:15 PM
Jack, I appreciate your comments, but there is no doubt in my mind that you will more than exceed what I have done with this block of walnut!! I look forward to seeing the end result.

BTW, I ended up with a piece of that striped redwood you got from Mike! I am looking forward to cutting into it.

steven carter
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I think I like the original a little better. It seems to me the new finial moves the focal point away from the "necklace", or at least creates a competiton for the focal point.

John Keeton
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Steve, maybe I need to do another "original" finial for it so I can have a "convertible" piece!!:D

Bill Wyko
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
John, always a pleasure to see your exquisite work. well done my friend.