PDA

View Full Version : Decorated Cherry Box

Scott Hackler
02-21-2011, 2:16 PM
Here is the second item that I turned and decorated using my newly found Nova Ornamental Turner. It is a piece of cherry 2 1/2" dia X 2 3/4" tall.

Made an important discovery... MARK THE DARN LID if it is decorated like the rest. After turning and threading the two halves together and finish decorating the rest, I parted the "lid" off the blank....thinking it was the bottom! DOH! So.. it got glued back on. :) This little project took about 2 1/2 hours start to finish. Tung oil finish.

Comments, jokes and critiques welcome!

John Keeton
02-21-2011, 2:27 PM
Scott, looks like you are having fun with your new toy. Kind of a neat box - whichever end is up!

It appears you got a little end grain tearout, and I guess with this machine you are left to hand sanding to get to any of that type of situation.

Tim Thiebaut
02-21-2011, 2:30 PM
2 1/2 hours?! Man it would have taken me that long to mount the blank and stare at it while figureing out what I was going to do with it...I am so slow its frustrating! That is a very cool looking box Scott, you are going to get better and better with that, you will be coming out with some amazing things in the near future.

Scott Hackler
02-21-2011, 3:06 PM
....It appears you got a little end grain tearout, and I guess with this machine you are left to hand sanding to get to any of that type of situation.

Yeah It does have end grain tear out. I should have oriented the grain so I was decorating side grain. I have been calling this one, "BooBoo #2". Its all a learning process and even though I have only used it on a couple things, I have learned a lot of VERY important things before the next project!

Richard Madden
02-21-2011, 3:43 PM
Hey, it's got to be fun just playing around with new tool. The box is interesting and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

gary Zimmel
02-21-2011, 3:59 PM
Neat looking box, even if it is a bit shallow...

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2011, 4:00 PM
Great looking box Scott. The OT seems to be working well for you.

Scott Hackler
02-21-2011, 4:14 PM
Neat looking box, even if it is a bit shallow...

lol, but its got a massive lid!

Baxter Smith
02-21-2011, 4:15 PM
Very neat turning. I was trying to figure out the purpose before I read what you had written though.:) The more possibilitites something has, the more there is to learn and remember.

David E Keller
02-21-2011, 7:00 PM
I like the pattern quite a bit if you can solve the tear out issue. Looks like the ornamental turning is gonna keep you busy for a while.

Jim Burr
02-21-2011, 7:06 PM
Kind of looks like Bamboo Scott...so the top is on the bottom, now it's a secret box! Lot's of effort that paid off very well!!

Scott Hackler
02-21-2011, 7:47 PM
Yeah the top is on the bottom. The bottom, now on top, is hollowed out as well. The tear out was just stupidity on my part for orienting the piece side grain. On both sides (where the end grain is) there is tear out. Since I screwed it up with the lid mix up, I wasn't going to try a sand it out. Just chock it up to new lesson.

Scott Hubl
02-21-2011, 8:02 PM
Looks good Scott.

Thats a mini finial storage box!

you just havent added the velcro to the bottom yet to hold one, with a tab of velcro on the bottom of it's tenon.;)

You did turn the Mini finial didn't you ? :D