PDA

View Full Version : G513X2 (or any 2 port band saw) dust collection

Mitchell Garnett
02-21-2011, 1:05 PM
I'm not entirely happy with how I've got the dust collection connected on my G513x2 - too many elbows and bends I think. But I only have a single 4" hose going to the unit.

I'm interested in how others have hooked up their machines if you are willing to share.

Photos would be especially appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

David Giles
02-21-2011, 2:01 PM
I have a single 4" hose to the lower port and leave the front port open. The air seems to circulate inside the lower frame and keeps it pretty clean. DC is a 1.5 Hp Jet blower feeding an ebay cyclone, so it's not a big 'un.

Neil Brooks
02-21-2011, 2:21 PM
Answers like "Do a Google Search (DAGS)" can sound snotty, and unhelpful.

I don't mean to do that.

But ... here IS a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=(%22band+saw%22+OR+bandsaw)+%22dust+collection%2 2

There are a LOT of great ideas -- mostly involving the addition of some configuration of ABS pipe -- that others have tried.

It's a great question, and ... on my short list of enhancements for my tools. My G0555X doesn't do a great job of dust collection, either. I usually just vacuum IT, blow it out with compressed air, and then vacuum around it, after a day of use, in the shop.

glenn bradley
02-21-2011, 3:29 PM
I was able to just seal the lower cabinet port (courtesey of a piece of sheet magnet from work):

I did this following this "below guides" cabinet port mod:

And the addition of this little "below table" shroud:

The shroud is held in place by two rare earth magnets. It swings easily out of the way for blade changes (which I do more than most):

The magnets grab the top of the door when it is closed and it sits just so:

The lower cabinet gets a couple teaspoons of dust every few months but, that is from the quick cuts I make without turning on the DC:rolleyes:. As a matter of fact I just went out and took these pics and have been resawing the last two days; it stays that clean. I run about 4' of 4" hose off my 6" main and then use the 4x4x2.5 wye to feed the "below table" shroud. Works great with a 2HP cyclone.

Van Huskey
02-21-2011, 5:04 PM
I am with Glenn I have always found fiddling with the collection just below the table is the best way to get the dust. I have found once it is optimized at that port a lower port (if the saw has one) seems to actually degrade the dust collection not increase it. It is interesting to note that most European bandsaws have one port under the table, I mention this not because they are "better" saws BUT because much of Europe requires quality objective dust control on their WWing equipment.

Cody Colston
02-21-2011, 5:47 PM
Glenn, I have wondered many times about how to incorporate an effective dust shroud below the table on my GO513 because I've never been happy with the dust collection and that's with two 4" flex hoses coming off a 6" S&D wye and a 3 hp Oneida cyclone sucking on the other end.

I'm gonna rig up something like your shroud, plug the lower duct outlet on the BS and move the hose to the shroud. Thanks for the pics and the idea. That's why I hang around ww forums, just to pick up tips like that one. :)

glenn bradley
02-21-2011, 5:59 PM
Thanks for the pics and the idea. That's why I hang around ww forums, just to pick up tips like that one. :)

I'm right there with you on the mind share thing. Your work has given me inspiration more than once. Glad I could sorta return the favor. The shroud is just 3 pieces of luan pinned to a scrap of pine that holds the 1" magnets.

Tom Hamilton
02-21-2011, 6:58 PM
Michael, there is some info here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117226-Band-saw-Dust-Collection-Photos&highlight= that might be helpful. Best regards, Tom

Mitchell Garnett
02-21-2011, 8:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied, especially Glenn. I'm going to emulate what he's done and see if that doesn't make things better.