PDA

View Full Version : Miniature birdhouse on a stick (a la Curt Fuller)

Doug W Swanson
02-21-2011, 1:03 PM
Here is another item I'm donating to our church auction. I have made about 30 birdhouse ornaments but this is the first one I made on a stick. Heck, it's actually the first thing I've made on a stick! After seeing all of Curt Fuller's creations, I decided to try my own.

This one was made using a branch from a Lilac bush in our yard that we trimmed a few years ago. I had hoped to have a little of the natural edge on it but a design opportunity wouldn't let that happen. I had also wanted the tip to be a tear drop shape but another design opportunity led to the ball on the top.

If you look closely at the pedestal, you can see that the pith is actually purple, too!

I think it turned out great and hopefully it will sell for big bucks at the auction!

Body: Lilac
Top: Cherry
Perch: Ebony
Size: 6" x 1 3/4"
Finish: WOP

Baxter Smith
02-21-2011, 4:32 PM
Good job Doug. That should raise some bucks. Lots of neat ideas to try here!

Donny Lawson
02-21-2011, 5:33 PM
Nice little house. I hope to try one of those soon.

John Keeton
02-21-2011, 5:43 PM
Doug, who would have ever thought to turn lilac!! Really a very pretty piece of wood and you sure did a great job with the birdhouse, too. Hope it brings major bucks at the auction and that your church does well with the overall sale!

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2011, 5:52 PM
I've turned a bunch of Lilac and does that stuff ever want to crack! Nice little high-rise for the birds! Hopes it brings in big money for your auction!

Don Nicholas
02-21-2011, 6:12 PM
Very nice job and a cleaver idea. Hope your church sale goes well.

David E Keller
02-21-2011, 6:23 PM
Nice work... especially for you first 'sticked' effort. I'll join the others in hoping for big bucks at the auction.

Doug W Swanson
02-22-2011, 8:16 AM
Thanks for the comments. I would have never thought of Lilac as a good wood for turning but when we trimmed off some larger branches a few years ago I thought I might get a few wine stoppers out of it.

Like Steve said, it does crack pretty good and there were only a couple of pieces where I could get something this long. I was really surprised to see the few purple swirls in it, too. It also sanded and finished nicely.

I may have to trim my bushes more this summer!