PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Julie Western
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm new here and am hoping for some words of wisdom! I have been researching engraving as my two strengths are art and computers and think this is a great mix of the two. I tried many years ago to get into this field, but the rotary engraver I was able to buy at that time did not lend itself well to a part-time venture! I am looking to make this a part-time, hopefully (some) money-making venture! I have located an Epilog 36EXT (2005) with Corel. Can anyone give me an idea on what this machine is worth? (without extras, etc.) I am interested in working on granite, acrylic, and wood (mainly). Thank you in advance!

Martin Boekers
02-21-2011, 1:58 PM
I have 2 Epilog 36 EXT one is from 2005, the machines have been reliable for me and Epilog is tops on service.

It's hard to say what a machine is worth from the limited info you provided.

No mention of

condition
power
rotary device or not
any other software
is the machine close and will the owner help set it up and get it running
how old is the tube.
can you test items on it
why are they selling it
does it have a maintanence log (contact Epilog with the serial number)
do you have a business plan
what market do you want to sell to
how will you vent it
if you set it up at your house or garage venting it may be an issue with neighbors

so you can see it's difficult to just put a price out there on this.

Look at what they are selling for new and if it's in nice shape think 20% - 25% of the price
is a ballpark.

Marty

John Noell
02-21-2011, 2:09 PM
Welcome to the Creek Julie!! You will find a lot of information here. Yes, art + computers + lasers is a great combination. However, to make money, you either have to be so lucky you ought to stick with the lottery or have a good business plan. :) If you do not need to make much money you can have a LOT of fun. When looking at prices, you might want to contact a few of the used laser dealers. They usually offer six month warranties and excellent deals.

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2011, 2:13 PM
The wattage (Power) and accessories will make a big difference. I have seen 60 watt models that age going for $22,000, a friend recently bought one with 100 watts and dual heads for closer to $30k.

Larry Bratton
02-21-2011, 2:14 PM
I have 2 Epilog 36 EXT one is from 2005, the machines have been reliable for me and Epilog is tops on service.

It's hard to say what a machine is worth from the limited info you provided.

No mention of

condition
power
rotary device or not
any other software
is the machine close and will the owner help set it up and get it running
how old is the tube.
can you test items on it
why are they selling it
does it have a maintanence log (contact Epilog with the serial number)
do you have a business plan
what market do you want to sell to
how will you vent it
if you set it up at your house or garage venting it may be an issue with neighbors

so you can see it's difficult to just put a price out there on this.

Look at what they are selling for new and if it's in nice shape think 20% - 25% of the price
is a ballpark.

Marty
25% of the Original?????? GULP!

Julie Western
02-21-2011, 2:24 PM
Thanks so much for all the good input and the welcome! I guess I was pretty vague! This used machine is a 60watt, never used commercially - only hobby, mainly on tile. All upgrades have been done, tube was regen'd in 2009. Person is selling as they got a different job and it is sitting unused. Besides the Corel software, it also has industrial exhaust blower. I do have a basic business plan - I am also limited with time available, but wanted to focus on dog, horse, and other animal shows, etc. as I also have a farm and go to some shows as part of this. Also, memorials and dog tags, etc. I hear you on the lottery point and I'm not very lucky so probably won't be getting rich anytime soon! Also, I don't have any neighbors to worry about and have a very nice art studio/shop to house it; unit is fairly close by so I can test/see in use before buying. Again, thanks for all of your help!

Mike Null
02-21-2011, 3:37 PM
The laser is not a piece of equipment suitable for traveling just in case you were considering that.

Ross Moshinsky
02-21-2011, 3:54 PM
Julie,

Why not design something and bring it to a local engraver and let them produce it for you. If things take off, look into buying a laser. If things don't, your investment is minimal.

Martin Boekers
02-22-2011, 8:59 AM
25% of the Original?????? GULP!

Ahhh think I was a bit low?:rolleyes: ok maybe, but if you consider the price of a new
tube and lack of warranty on the rest of the parts to having a new machine with 2 years
no worry coverage. I would strongly suggest considering that when paying more than
30%-35%. Lasering ain't for the faint of heart:D

Still less depreciation than a new car.

Julie, good work! it looks like you have explored things pretty good. We see quite a
few in this industry that buy a laser because a salesman said they could make a fortune part time selling engraved trinkets. It's easy to get mesmerized watching these
things work, sort of the same awe the first time I saw a photo come up in a tray of developer!

What the laser is worth is different to each of us as each of use have different needs.
Good luck with yours when you get it whether it's this one or a different one.

Oh and welcome to the Creek! I should have welcomed you in the first post.:o

The lasers are fun and if you have expendable funds even better! Even at a hobby business
you'll enjoy it and it will pay for at least some of it's cost. Even at $15,000 heck what does a boat cost?

One thing to watch though is the tube, I've heard from Epilog if it sits too long with out use it may degrade in power.

Keep us posted!

Marty