PDA

View Full Version : Holztapffel Bench thoughts on my flooring it!

Robert Rolfe
02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Building my first bench, Followed the plans of the Holztapffel Bench to a point. Mostly too new to do tenons just yet, but anyway, I came across a load of FREE doug fir 2x4's and some 2x6's left over so i laminated this baby together. Now i have some cheap 3/4 oak flooring, what do you guys think of covering the outside it? was going to glue and floor nail the top and just glue the sides. The oak is unfinished. Think it should go the same as the 2x4's or at a right angle? Figured the pine would not hold up as nice as the oak will.

David Giles
02-21-2011, 2:07 PM
Sooner or later, you will want to flatten the top. Nails will be detrimental to that effort. Other than that, why not? Your bench looks good to me as is, but if you want an oak cover, go for it. You might consider finishing the fir with BLO/varnish/MS (or your favorite finish) and call it good.

Chip Lindley
02-21-2011, 3:40 PM
That's lots of wasted storage space to cover up with flooring. Use the flooring to make drawers to fit between the apron and the bottom stretchers. You will be glad you did!

Gary Curtis
02-21-2011, 6:48 PM
Wish I had extended my bench legs out to the edge of the top. As suggested by Christopher Schwarz. Gives you a lot of clamping options as opposed to a trestle top.

Robert Rolfe
02-23-2011, 9:19 AM
Naaa only covering the wood that is exposed like the top and just the outside of the legs where the bench dogs are going. Was thinking of storage under it but had a couple thoughts. One, i heard any storage amplify's power tools used on the top and probably a small thing, but sawdust would probably be falling througn the bench dog holes into whatever was under it.

Robert Rolfe
02-23-2011, 9:23 AM
was going to use that toenailer that the flooring guys use cuz i have one available for naada but i could just glue it, and it is 3/4 of solid oak so i should be able to sand it a few times.

Robert Rolfe
02-26-2011, 1:55 PM
Update! Got the oak flooring Cheap! 20.00 for a bundle, gluing it on as I type! Question! What should i stain or seal the top with? Its unfinished oak.

Robert Rolfe
02-27-2011, 9:54 PM
Das Oak is Laden!