PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2011, 9:30 AM
22 Feb 2011

Good Morning,
It's been a really hard week for me being that I was oncall for the day job and just got off call at 8 AM this morning. More hours than I really want to count and since I'm on a salary, I can work all I want for free. (insert extreme sarcasm here)

Well, I've pretty much fallen in love with making utensils and I'm trying to find spoon gouge that will allow me to make wooden spoons and ladles. I know one tool won't do it all but I can use a single tool for now to see what I really want or need to do the job better and faster.

Got over being sick early on last week and I'm glad as I hate being sick and I make a very poor patient. (I know, don't say it)

I've prepared some more stock for making some forks and such and I hope to have some time in the next week to make a few. It's quick and fun.

Well, that's it for me...what did YOU do this past weekend?

Happy Presidents Day to those of you who are off work today.

Matt Meiser
02-21-2011, 9:48 AM
Replaced a toilet valve and a really cheap, no name, non-serviceable faucet, at least as far as I could tell, that got a hunks of well debris caught in them.

Hauled all the tools and materials related to last weeks water woes back out to the shop and dumped them--still have a lot of straightening to do out there.

Finally took down the Christmas lights.

Used the leaf blower to put all the gravel back in the driveway after the snow melt. I've found this works much better than raking.

Did the front brakes on LOML's car. Found she was on the verge of needing new tires and had two bent wheels. Stupid low profile tires. Researched what replacement wheels cost, then found a complete set of wheels with nearly new tires for her car on CL that we got for a great price. Went and got those, then came home and installed them. The seller said they had about 10K miles on them but they look practically new. Apparently his son put aftermarket wheels in a different size on the car. I got everything down to the lug nuts for $300. Two used wheels from a nearby source I found online would have been close to that.

Flushed and treated the water heater in my shop with bleach due to all the water woes. So I guess I did do one thing in the shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Unpacked our bags from our recent trip and then began replacing all the hardware on our kitchen cabinets. The new 18V LI compact Makita drill works like a champ!

Matt Woessner
02-21-2011, 10:16 AM
The wife and I became Godparents this weekend, so had mass and then the festivities following on Sunday. Saturday worked half a day at the office. Found a couple minutes here and there to make a couple small glue ups on the train table I am working on and close to finishing. I hope to complete all the assembly in another night or two. Then on to some serious sanding and finishing.

Other than that chasin cows and chasin kids!

james glenn
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Joe: my deepest sympathies....

Well, as with everyday; I worked on the farm taking care of the cows and 'adjusting/fixing' some machinery.

Spent some good time in the shop painting my HF DC (I know, rediculous of me but I like orange better than green).
Changed the blower inlet to 6" and added the connection piece. Built most of my Thein Separator, just have to cut the hole
in the side of the fiber drum for the inlet pipe and the hole in the top for the DC connection.

I finally hooked the wiring of all the new outlets to the electric panel. What a difference to have outlets everywhere instead
of extension cords strung all over. I even managed to get the second set of wall braces up for lumber storage. But I did managed to
ram my head into one and cut my forehead. I'll live, not the first time and won't be the last I am sure.

All in all, it was fairly productive weekend for me down in the shop. Now it's back to work for the week.

Joe Mioux
02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
This was a hard week. On 10-Feb, my dad passed away. Due to family travel issues, we had a funeral visitation on Friday and internment on Saturday. There were both a religious and military ceremony at the cemetery. I received the flag.

I now need to build a case for it, the 21 shells, and his medals and ribbons. If anyone has ideas, I would appreciate learning about them.

Joe

Neil Brooks
02-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Joe-

I'm so sorry. I lost mine in '96. While I don't FEEL it, physically, the way I did in the early days, I still think of him so often, and ... of course ... miss him dearly.

May your grief be short, and may your memories of your dad linger on.

Having picked up a used bomb-proof fan for $100 (list = $700), I'm building a roll-around air filtration unit:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/TWGu7Q6-VyI/AAAAAAAABxc/p-_v8CvQj-s/s576/P1050185.JPG

It's kind of a pig.

It'll pull air through (2) 3M Filtrete filters, and a 5" Skuttle pleated media filter. I'll operate it with a 12-hour fan timer switch.

The motor for my 1956 DeWalt MBF RAS _should_ be ready, today. Had new leads soldered onto the windings, a new circuit breaker put in, and my replacement 10' coiled power cord tacked on.

If it's done, then my weekend continues ... with installation of the motor, the switch, the second power cord, and ... flattening of my table, and aligning the saw :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Joe.....my sincere sympathies for the loss of you Dad!

Troy Turner
02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Learned that I need to brush up on my coping skills.

Finally finished out our bedroom with pre-primed crown and shop made chair rail. About 90' of crown. 2 outside corners, and 6 inside corners. I HATE COPING!!!! Guess it was harder because the crown has a cove in it. Had to cut pretty deep to get it to fit.

It's amazing what you can hide with the right amount of caulk :)

But it finished, she's happy, and it looks good.

Now off to the shop to build the furniture to go in it...

Mitchell Garnett
02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I took the Rob Cosman dovetail degree course. I'd never handcut a dovetail before and I managed to get from atrocious to perhaps passable if I'm generous with my assessment. But I can see that with practice, quality joints will come. I learned that there is no substitute for good tools and <sharp> chisels and planes. It was an exhausting but fun 24+ hours over two days.

Highly recommended if you get a chance to take the instruction.

BOB OLINGER
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Joe,

Our sincere condolences on the loss of your dad.

As for me, I finished installing duct work on my dust collector and did some shop reorganization so I can move to next project. The next project is cutting/moulding and installing new baseboard and door casings throughout the house. The current is fine, but the request is to add some character. So, I just order a couple hundred feet of red oak (about 1/2 of what I need) for starters. Next is getting some drawings of potential mouldings from Tim at Custom Mouldings and finalizing the choice. If all goes as planned, we'll get a start on this next weekend.

Brett Clark
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Finished turning a bowl and almost completed my nieces birthday present - both were started back in early Dec. (or was it Nov.? Hmmm) and sitting around waiting for the weather to warm up.

Also received and unpacked a new Jet Dust Filtration unit, a first step towards keeping the air clean in the shop.

Oh and I also contracted one of the worst colds I can remember having compliments of my daughter....:mad:

David Helm
02-21-2011, 1:10 PM
I too offer condolences Joe. I spent the past week in Ohio, staying with my brother after his wife just passed away. Haven't been here in decades. Along with the funeral there was visiting with many relatives and an evening spent with a couple of high school buddies I haven't seen for fifty years. I fly back to Washington tomorrow.

David Hostetler
02-21-2011, 6:33 PM
First things first, condolences Joe. May your grief be short, and your fond memories long.

Paid my bills Friday.
Blew most of the day Saturday taking the family to get hair cuts, LOML and I getting color shoved back in (I am too young to go gray dangit!). The shop we go to was up in Houston, so I took the opportunity to drop by Rockler, and grabbed up as much of that $3.00 bd/ft cherry that they have on sale as I could carry in my little Saturn. They didn't have much that wasn't badly twisted, I walked out with 15.9 bd/ft. That's okay....

Spent some time yesterday making the framing for the mitered / raised panel top for my old dog's urn out of walnut. The plan is and has always been to make it out of walnut and cherry. Presently letting the cherry acclimate to my shop....

Replaced a toilet seat. LOML likes those padded ones, and our old one has blown a small hole in the seam, so LOML deemed it must go....

Rolled out 2 more rolls of R30 in the attic. I am almost done with the insulation, next up on the chopping block is the radiant barrier...

Spent the evening yesterday evening with LOML making her mother's meat loaf recipe. It's really good, but we ended up screwing it up... Edible, and tasty as all get out, just not as stiff as it should have been.... I know where we goofed... (we added an optional liquid ngredient that required reducing fluid from another ingredient we forgot to...)

Walked the dog, walked the dog, walked the dog... Did I mention walked the dog?

Ron Kellison
02-21-2011, 6:55 PM
I was in and out of the workshop several times today (long weekend in Ontario!) but only to get plumbing and electrical tools. The dishwasher motor/pump seized some time ago and both my wife and I are tired of doing dishes by hand. We had an old portable dishwasher down in the basement so I tipped it up and found that the motor was identical to the one in the kitchen! Both were made by GE but sold under different brand names. I lugged the portable dishwasher from the basement into the garage, removed the motor/pump, and ambled into the kitchen around 10AM. Disconnecting the hoses ( I hate spring-style hose clamps!) and wiring, pulled the unit out onto the floor, tipped it over to get at the innards, wiped up the water that drained out and had at it! It took 6 hours but by 4 PM it was back under the counter and working! My wife is happy, I'm tired and it only reinforces my dislike for anything related to plumbing, especially if you have to do most of the delicate work lying on the floor with a flashlight!

Regards,

Ron

Jesse Espe
02-21-2011, 9:41 PM
Been quite a while since I've been to the Creek, and equally long since I've posted in these Weekend-Wassup threads.

Joe, my sympathies on the loss of your father.

- I worked on fixing some ceiling drywall holes in the house. One was for a new bathroom fan I installed, and another was to fix dripping condensation in the basement ceiling coming from a heat pump line (best I figure).
- I started cleaning up the garage shop...again. Found some stuff to get rid of on CL. Next is to create some wall mounted shelf storage to reclaim some floor space.
- Dug some teaching materials out for SWMBO from the storage unit so that I may put other stuff in its place.

2010 was a pretty rough woodworking year for me, so this year I'm going to try to turn it around.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jim O'Dell
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Joe, sorry to hear about your Dad. May the shamrocks fall softly.....

It was my weekend to work the real job...7:30 to 2:00. Got home, wife sent me right back out for pizza (our normal place was remodeling, and the next closest place won't deliver to us) for a late lunch with a family up from Houston to adopt one of the rescue dogs. They left about 5:00, and I headed to the shop. Set the BS up and got the blade tracking correctly. I got a sheet of BB ply Friday to cut some Irish Setter silhouettes out of. Made my pattern on some 1/4" Ash ply scrap, marked the first 5, rough cut with jig saw to have individual pieces to work with, got about 60% through the first one and BAM!!! Scared the hooey out of me. Hit the brake thinking the blade came off the wheel. Took a while for the top wheel to stop, opened the door and find the blade is broken.:mad: My only 1/4" blade. That ended my weekend in the shop.:( So Sunday I had to break up what was left of the stump and roots from a tree we cut down 6 years ago, and finish cutting down the 6' tall stump of the Bradford Pear I cut down last fall.
But I was rewarded with a trip to Uncle Julios for some bodacious Mexican food. Man, I could eat that shrimp until I died!
Bandsaw blades ordered today, but LOML wants a weekend away with just our two personal dogs to celebrate finishing her Chemo treatments, so we will head to Marble Falls Saturday morning. Don't suspect we will run into snow like you did Ken. :D Hope we have just a portion of the fun you two did. Jim.

scott vroom
02-22-2011, 1:49 AM
On Saturday we installed the vanity cabinet, attached the Silestone top & splashes, installed the faucet hardware and drain plumbing, and hung the wall cabinet over the toilet. The guest bath remodel is almost complete.

On Sunday we did a partial dry fit of the first office wall cabinet (same customer) and spent several hours cleaning and organizing the shop.

Douglas Clark
02-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Being new around here I was excited to find a thread where you could share your weekend accomplishments; because, I was thinking about posting a gloat over what I accomplished this weekend but I wasn't sure if it was kosher, now I know it is. I got a fair amount done, finally getting storage shelves put up in my garage for my wood storage and I also went from being about half way done with building my workbench to about 3/4. YEAH! I can finally see portions of the floor in my garage and I feel really great about walking into the shop and seeing all that wood neatly stacked along the wall.

Congrats to all those who accomplished their goals. And to Joe, while obviously I don't know you or your father, please accept on his behalf my gratitude for the service he provided this nation. My own grandfather was a WWII vet who I wish could have stuck around longer so that I could have more thoroughly understood and documented his experiences. Our vets are a precious resource of wisdom and experience that we can't afford to take for granted.

I'm looking forward to next weekend so I can get more done and then post a gloat w/ pictures of a clean garage/shop!

Brett Clark
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm looking forward to next weekend so I can get more done and then post a gloat w/ pictures of a clean garage/shop!

How do you expect us to believe you actually did anything with a picture of a CLEAN shop?:D

Rod Sheridan
02-23-2011, 3:03 PM
Joe, please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.

On a weekend note, I glued the tiles in the top of my coffee table, only the grouting remains to be done......Rod.