PDA

View Full Version : Walk In Bathtub??????????

Thomas Canfield
02-20-2011, 9:23 PM
My wife has requested that I look into a walk-in bathtub to replace existing. She needs a way to soak and a hot tub is not a good option unless I enclose the patio, etc. There seem to be several different manufactures and models out there and any comments would be appreciated. I can't say that I look forward to the remodeling job, but it may be the best option.

David G Baker
02-20-2011, 9:30 PM
I did a little checking on the walk-in tubs and found them to be "VERY" expensive but not sure if they are any more expensive than a well made hot tub.

Lee Schierer
02-20-2011, 9:40 PM
A company I used to work for made walk in tubs for hospitals. The door was hinged and there was an inflatable seal that sealed the door in place so it would hold water. They had short life problems with the door seals so they discontinued the production about 20 years ago.

Glenn Vaughn
02-21-2011, 3:32 AM
I installed a TraJet London Deluxe Whirlpool tub a few years ago. It is 60" long (fit perfectly where the old tub was) and is 28" deep. I am not a small person and can soak with the water up to my chin (I can even float!). Support is great. Yhe tub cost me $2100 3 years ago - walk-in's appear to be quite a bit more expensive.

TraJet has a wide varity of tubs to choose from. The link to the tub I purchased is: http://www.trajet.com/products-details.asp?id=29. Customer support is very good.

sunny nic
02-21-2011, 3:39 AM
I installed a TraJet London Deluxe Whirlpool tub a few years ago. It is 60" long (fit perfectly where the old tub was) and is 28" deep. I am not a small person and can soak with the water up to my chin (I can even float!). Support is great. Yhe tub cost me $2100 3 years ago - walk-in's appear to be quite a bit more expensive.

TraJet has a wide varity of tubs to choose from. The link to the tub I purchased is: http://www.trajet.com/products-details.asp?id=29. Customer support is very good.
wow, looks good source.

Glenn Vaughn
02-21-2011, 4:42 AM
wow, looks good source.

Here are before and after pictures from the installation. The middle photo gives an idea of the depth of the tub.

Tom Leftley
02-21-2011, 2:10 PM
A friend of mine had one installed last year. He encountered several problems.
1. Cost - just under $17,000.
2. You have to wait for the tub to drain before you can get out which took too long in his opinion.
3. Since his new tub was a lot deeper than the original, his electric bill went out of sight due to using much more hot water.
4. Ongoing problem with the door leaking and unsatisfactory warranty service by the dealer.
5. Too expensive to remove it and go back to the original style of tub.

Thomas Canfield
02-21-2011, 2:13 PM
Glen,

Thanks for the pictures and your response. That is a neat installation and almost like new construction on the walls. The existing tub sits between a couple of closets so access from ends for plumbing and pump.blower would be available inside the closets at either/or both ends. It will be a chore no matter what is done, and I saw that you had to do basically a full remodle including tile walls. I know that it will be cheaper to remodel a bath that move so still looking at some options. We did check at Lowes and they would have to special order a walk in tub, and they are expensive for basic unit to start plus all the remodel.

Glenn Vaughn
02-21-2011, 5:36 PM
Glen,

Thanks for the pictures and your response. That is a neat installation and almost like new construction on the walls.

Actually the remodel was not because of the tub - it was because the wife hated the old tile. The new tub fit in the same space as the old - except it was about 6" wider. If we had replaced the tile (and the sheet rock with blue board), installation would have been simple. As it was the total cost for the remodel including tub, walls, floor, ceiling, vanity, lighting and labor was about $7,000.

John alder
02-24-2011, 3:56 PM
I keep seeing a comercial for one on TV and always wonder how soon a leak would develope around the door.

Thomas Canfield
02-24-2011, 9:58 PM
Thanks for comments. The draining convinced her she did not want a walk in tub and has now changed to a hot tub. Looks like I might be enclosing the patio for winter use. There sure is a lot of things that go into something simple to get her in hot water, when I stay in hot water most of the time and avoid the "liquid hot water".

Mike Cutler
02-25-2011, 7:47 AM
Actually the remodel was not because of the tub - it was because the wife hated the old tile. The new tub fit in the same space as the old - except it was about 6" wider. If we had replaced the tile (and the sheet rock with blue board), installation would have been simple. As it was the total cost for the remodel including tub, walls, floor, ceiling, vanity, lighting and labor was about $7,000.

I agree with your wife Glenn, the original tile job was very "busy". It has a much nicer look now. Very clean and classy.
Nice work all around. If you got it all in for under $7K, you did a lot of the work yourself. I've remodeled both of our bathrooms and I know a "gut to the studs" job can add up pretty fast.