PDA

View Full Version : pocket hole jig for hobbyist?

James Baker SD
02-20-2011, 7:29 PM
As a hobbyist, for whom speed is unimportant, but likes to pretend (or dream) that I am an old world craftsman, do I have any need of a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig? I have dreams of making bookcases, desks etc for our house, but would prefer to use mortise and tenon, or at least Domino, joints. During my brief tenure as a pro (as mentioned in Van's poll) I bought a Kreg when speed did matter. Now I am trying to reduce the clutter and trying to decide what tools are expendable due to likely little use. Should the Kreg be on my "get rid of it" list? Thanks.

James

Bill Huber
02-20-2011, 7:38 PM
I think it depends on which jig you have. I am a hobbyist and I have the JR, it doesn't take up much room and I don't use it that much but when I do its really nice to have.

I guess I would keep it unless its the big table type jig.

Jim Rimmer
02-20-2011, 9:08 PM
I think it depends on which jig you have. I am a hobbyist and I have the JR, it doesn't take up much room and I don't use it that much but when I do its really nice to have.

I guess I would keep it unless its the big table type jig.

+1 for keeping it.

Jim Heffner
02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
I vote for keeping the jig! It may come in handy in the future. I mounted mine to a piece of
plywood and hang it to the exposed rafters in my shop, along with other jigs. They are always
close at hand and out of the way!

Alan Wright
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
James,
I am a fellow hobbyist. I work about 35 hours a week at my job and I spend about 30 hours a week in my shop. I build primarily mission furniture and use a lot of mortise and tennon joinery and I have a Domino I use as well. I also have the Jessum dowling jig, which I use. My point is that I have a lot of joinery methods at my disposal. I have a Kreg drill bit and jig as well. It's not the kit, it's the single blue piece of plastic with a single hole. I think the bit and the plastic jig cost me $25. I use it. It just seems like whenever a joint has to come together, one of the above methods just seems like the "right" one for that particular application. As an example. I just built an entertainment center. I used several different joinery methods, but for the bottom of the bookcases, I used my Kreg Jig. It was simple, and along with bit of glue, seems perfectly fine. I only use pocket screws for application when the joint will NEVER be seen, but pocket screws are (in my opinion) the easiest joinery method out there and definately has a place in my shop.

Alan

James Baker SD
02-22-2011, 2:07 PM
thanks for the advice. I've made a spot for it, out of the way, but easy to get when I might need it.

James

Jim Neeley
02-22-2011, 8:32 PM
+1 on keeping it. Whether or not you use it on your "projects", it's just too handy for throwing together a jig or a step-stool...

paul cottingham
02-22-2011, 9:25 PM
I really like mine. I even use it as a clamp sometimes, after the glue dries on a joint, I recover the screws, then fill in the holes, usually I leave the screws in.