PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest woodworkers - what's it like there

whit richardson
02-20-2011, 5:58 PM
I live in Indiana surrounded by lot's of lovely hardwoods, Woodworking places, Marc Adams nearby etc. Now I have an opportunity to maybe move to Seattle/Redmond area. So beyond the Starbucks, rainy all the time, outdoorsey sterotypes what is living in Seattle like in general and for woodworkers?

Chris Hayes
02-20-2011, 6:09 PM
Whit --

You know we'll do what we can to keep you here in the metro area...by making lots of woodworking type stuff available..but there are far worse places to move (as in a place where you and I _used_ to live)... :)

I've heard there are several smaller 'schools' in the northwest. But the culture out there is far different than around here. I've noticed a number of makers related stuff being posted from out that way. It's caught our attention too, and the smarter half gave her implicit approval on moving that way if the opportunity came about. (it hasn't..but I'm ok with that) -- I think you'll find something good in that area.

Let me know if you decide to go...

Jim Koepke
02-20-2011, 6:16 PM
I kind of like the area. Though I live a bit south of Seattle. My home is closer to Portland, OR. Also, my home is away from the population center. The Seattle area has a much higher density than my neighborhood.

Lots of lumber around.

It does rain a lot. That's why there are a lot of boat builders around here. Just as long as we don't need to start building arks.

jtk

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2011, 9:43 PM
Heck, the rain is worth it to have everything green all year, and the summer (July 5-August 31) is so much more appreciated.

We do have a Rockler and a Woodcraft, and Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle, and if you have a yard of any size you can cut your own Alder, Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Redcedar and maybe Hemlock from your own trees. Plenty of woodworkers here, and once you decide to come we'll all give you tips on places to live, eat, and whatever else you need.

whit richardson
02-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey Chris how's it going? No kidding the culture is different. I visited once many moons ago during early spring and got a small bit of flavor of the place. Trading homes right now is a daunting idea but the opportunity could be interesting, it's Microsoft.

whit richardson
02-20-2011, 10:56 PM
So summer is kinda short? I noticed everything looked really, really green in the early spring when I was there before. These days I'm more interested in sources for lumber and old furniture rather than tools. Seems like I can get just about any tool I need used or new from surfing a bit or craigslist sales.

Is there anything like a Marc Adams school out there? I'm not in the class of "Master Woodworker Building a Hepplewhite dining room set in tiger maple class.." (yet).

sunny nic
02-21-2011, 3:44 AM
So summer is kinda short? I noticed everything looked really, really green in the early spring when I was there before. These days I'm more interested in sources for lumber and old furniture rather than tools. Seems like I can get just about any tool I need used or new from surfing a bit or craigslist sales.

Is there anything like a Marc Adams school out there? I'm not in the class of "Master Woodworker Building a Hepplewhite dining room set in tiger maple class.." (yet).
I haven't find the similar school yet.

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2011, 9:51 AM
Have a look at this, possibly something of interest:

http://www.nwfinewoodworking.com/links.htm

Craig D Peltier
02-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Plenty of wood but in my opinion nothing like the midwest and eastern woods. All our stuff here is soft or uninteresting. With the exception of big leaf maple figured but its kinda soft and plywood in it cost your left arm.
Im not aware of any schools , think theres one in Montana not far away but sure theres others closer.Joe mentioned something you should look into.

Traffic is awful if you have to commute on the 520, 405 or 5 in any rush hour times. Id rather drive in rush hour in LA to be honest which I did for 11 years, the freeways have not enough lanes on them here and traffic backs up way to easy.
I do have to mention the weather, it is dreary ALOT. My driveway really doesnt dry at all during winter months. Summer sometimes you get 6-8 weeks of it where its sunny alot.I have seen 5 of them so far and 3 were nice. More sunnier days in Seattle than Redmond I have noticed many times.We have something called the convergence zone over here on the eastside, it makes it more rainy/snowy/cloudy from Bellevue east. Yes its green but im from Mass an its green there too. Theres alot of ferns and moss here that makes the green a bit different , like the south or even tropical.

No woodworking stores on the eastside anymore. One hardwood supplier closed Hardwoods Supply. All of them are in Seattle, Crosscut, Compton Lumber, Woodcraft and Rockler. Theres a hardwood supplier over here but you cant walk in and pick out your stuff.

The hills, water and Mtns make it very pretty around here for sure. Lots of day trips that are like being in a Natl Park.

I find it expensive here as well. Even comparing it to LA in alot of ways. Food, fees, housing, taxes , utilities.

Montgomery Scott
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Craig, you are partially right on the convergence zone, but it's not an "east side" phenomenon. It is generally located around Everett and east of there. Here's more info http://www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4306427.html

Also I get some of my hardwood supply from Edensaw in Port Townsend and have them bring it by truck to my door. Their prices are lower for some lumber than crosscut and they are the biggest veneer distributor in the state. I bought some bloodwood, yellowheart and cocobolo from them for significantly less than crosscut. I don't even bother with Compton for exotics but their domestics are seemingly better.

Home prices have come down significantly for the Kirkland/Redmond area. You can get a 2000 sq ft house for ~$500k now.

Jim Koepke
02-22-2011, 1:22 PM
Have a look at this, possibly something of interest:

http://www.nwfinewoodworking.com/links.htm

Wow, And I was just going to say I think there is a school in Port Townsend and another in Seattle.

http://www.ptwoodschool.com/Home.html

Give Doctor Google a try.

jtk

Chris Hayes
02-22-2011, 1:26 PM
Eesh..be ready to pick which 24 hours on every 365 days to be availbe to work. Those whom I've known who've worked for msft have burned out in a couple of years. That's just my undertstanding of their culture. That being said, there are more opportunities there than here (and a better view towards the IT types than here). We should get together for lun sometime soon. I'm now over at CNO...not too far from you office.

Scott Shepherd
02-22-2011, 1:57 PM
I don't know if I got lucky or what, but when I visited the Seattle area several years ago, I found the people there to be some of the nicest people I've ever met. I can't quite explain it all, but small things, like going into a Starbucks and having people actually ask you questions they seemed to care about. I think I had a ski resort hat on and one girl was asking me about the resort and what I liked about it, would I go again, etc. Had about a 5 minute conversation with her about skiing. I found that type of culture everywhere I went while I was there. Just very friendly, nice people. You never got the feeling someone was asking you a question because they were required to, but rather because they really wanted to know.

I had darn near strangers to me literally invite me to dinner at their home. I also found the food to be fantastic. I can't speak for the beauty, as there entire time I was there, I never saw the mountains.

Craig D Peltier
02-22-2011, 4:16 PM
Craig, you are partially right on the convergence zone, but it's not an "east side" phenomenon. It is generally located around Everett and east of there. Here's more info http://www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4306427.html

Also I get some of my hardwood supply from Edensaw in Port Townsend and have them bring it by truck to my door. Their prices are lower for some lumber than crosscut and they are the biggest veneer distributor in the state. I bought some bloodwood, yellowheart and cocobolo from them for significantly less than crosscut. I don't even bother with Compton for exotics but their domestics are seemingly better.

Home prices have come down significantly for the Kirkland/Redmond area. You can get a 2000 sq ft house for ~$500k now.

Maybe true but Redmond ridge is near N King / S Snohomish line. Im in Duvall even closer and I work alot out in seattle. Driving from sun to rain starting in bellevue is a very common occurence. Or from sunny day to cloudy often due to the mtns pushing the clouds back.

Edensaw has delivered here on a minimum order of 300 I think and only 2 or 3 days a week.They have amazing slab material.

whit richardson
02-23-2011, 3:34 PM

Snikes! I have a 2600 sq ft place now paid 190k built new w/full basement on .48 acre lot. Not sure getting a chance to work for Microsoft is worth it.

Craig D Peltier
02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Snikes! I have a 2600 sq ft place now paid 190k built new w/full basement on .48 acre lot. Not sure getting a chance to work for Microsoft is worth it.

No guarantees with long time employment at MS either anymore. My wife and several other friends have been laid off in the past year.After being there from anywhere from 5-20 years.

David Helm
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I've lived about 90 miles North of Seattle (Bellingham) for forty years. What short time people don't know is that we get no more rain here than, say, Ohio where I grew up. Rainy season (primarily drizzle) is usually from October to April with a little more on the 4th of July. In the winter (milder than just about any Northern state in this country) when the sun comes out it is the most magnificent thing you've ever seen with the stark white of the mountains contrasting with the deep blue of the sky. Summers are dry and usually last through the end of September (can you say drought?). Buds start swelling in January and, at my house, tulips are already 6 inches tall and daffodils 10. If you like gardening there is no place better (except for tomatoes). Annual rainfall is about 30 inches. In terms of woodworking, there are schools in Pt Tounsend, but if you want to look around you can find them on Vancouver Island and in the city of Vancouver (BC) too. Google Darrell Peart for some info for the Seattle area. Any hardwoods you can get in Indiana you can also get in Washington. I personally like working with the local native woods (yes many are soft woods, but the figure you get in Western Big Leaf Maple is to die for).

Craig D Peltier
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I've lived about 90 miles North of Seattle (Bellingham) for forty years. What short time people don't know is that we get no more rain here than, say, Ohio where I grew up. Rainy season (primarily drizzle) is usually from October to April with a little more on the 4th of July. In the winter (milder than just about any Northern state in this country) when the sun comes out it is the most magnificent thing you've ever seen with the stark white of the mountains contrasting with the deep blue of the sky. Summers are dry and usually last through the end of September (can you say drought?). Buds start swelling in January and, at my house, tulips are already 6 inches tall and daffodils 10. If you like gardening there is no place better (except for tomatoes). Annual rainfall is about 30 inches. In terms of woodworking, there are schools in Pt Tounsend, but if you want to look around you can find them on Vancouver Island and in the city of Vancouver (BC) too. Google Darrell Peart for some info for the Seattle area. Any hardwoods you can get in Indiana you can also get in Washington. I personally like working with the local native woods (yes many are soft woods, but the figure you get in Western Big Leaf Maple is to die for).

I agree on the amount of rainfall its a well published fact , but i see you didnt mention how many sunny days we get here over cloudy/drizzly :) when the sun is out its is very beautiful! Prettier than Mass where I grew up and So Cal that i called home for 12 years.

Montgomery Scott
02-24-2011, 2:24 PM
True. Probably best to be a contractor at MS. Make $200k/yr for as long as you can then go back home after the party's over.