PDA

View Full Version : David Belser Demo

Bob Bergstrom
02-20-2011, 3:52 PM
David Belser did a fabulous demo at the Illiana Woodturners Club workshop Saturday morning. Below is the basket box he demod. I was fortunate to host he and Alan Carter on Friday night. The one thing I took away from talking with them both is it is a lot of hard work, effort, and a succession of failure, experimentation. and finally success to reach an acceptable level of public acceptance. We all had a great time and enjoyed the common bond that all creekers enjoy at this site. I highly recommend anyone who has the opportunity to witness one of David's demos to do so. He is articulate, organized and comfortable addressing a group. His processes to produce his basket box includes cutting and pressing the veneers in a press, stabilizing it in a solid block of wax, and turning it. Lastly. melting the wax away and baking it in a hot oven (only when his wife is out of the house).

John Keeton
02-20-2011, 4:11 PM
Bob, that is interesting - a "lost wax" approach to woodturning!! Bet you had a bunch of fun spending time with those two - and, learned a lot! Great experience for you.

Bob Bergstrom
02-20-2011, 4:24 PM
While he used wax to stabilize his piece, he did admit to using 120 grit peel and stick sandpaper on the soles of his shoes to keep from slipping on his shop floor. When he reversed the piece to turn the inside, he glued it to the scrap block with wax. I could not believe how well it stuck. Almost like double face tape. When done he just melted the wax and it dropped off. He also has used ice as a stabilizing agent, but has to work a little faster and preventing rust on the ways can be a problem.

Thom Sturgill
02-20-2011, 4:50 PM
Years ago I studied jewelry making at the local rock and gen club. They use wax to 'glue' stones to a stick to grind them into cabachons. Not the same way you would use for candles.

Mark Hubl
02-20-2011, 7:48 PM
Bob, Thanks again for your efforts putting the demo together, the club looked great. David did a really terrific job. It was very interesting to see his methods and discuss his inspirational process. I had a great time with he and Alan on our drive to the gallery and seeing the exhibit. I look forward to going back and spending a little more time looking at the pieces. I will see you Tuesday if you are going to be at the club.

Harry Robinette
02-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Bob
Just having them around had to be a high point in your turning life.Sounds like the Demo was really a crowd pleaser . Was as a glue ,I'm going to have to do some reading.
Harry

Bob Bergstrom
02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
David was interviewws on Cable TV and shows the process he uses on his basket bowl. It is in the second half of episode 10 ( after the Christmas choral group).
http://www.yourconcordtv.org/?page_id=500