PDA

View Full Version : Drozda influenced hollow forms

Larry Pickering
02-20-2011, 2:38 PM
Recently had the good fortune of attending a Cindy Drozda class, now I want to put finials on every thing, here are 3 of my latest.
Third one is buckeye burl with African black wood finial and stem, base is buckeye with an acrylic insert. the dimensions are 5 3/4 x 12' over all.

Second one is splated maple with African black wood final and stem, unknown wood on lid and base. the dimension are 4 1/2 x 11"

The first one is elm burl with maple finial and base. Painted the whole piece transparent yellow, but I didn't like the look. went back and painted finial and stem semi gloss black and blended some transparent red into the top, may need to paint the lid and base to match. Your opinion?

All are cleared with rattle can clear.

Larry

Jon Nuckles
02-20-2011, 3:01 PM
Those are nice, especially the third. I also like the second, but I think it would look even better if the body of the form could be turned upside down. What type of paint are you using for the yellow and red?

Larry Pickering
02-20-2011, 5:50 PM
Jon, I own an automotive paint store, when I'm playing around with color, it's some thing off the oops table, in this case it was acrylic urthane base coat. I never noticed the shape of the maple bowl, untill now, your right but it's to late now

John Keeton
02-20-2011, 6:29 PM
Larry, I definitely can see the Drozda influence! Some interesting combinations. The burl in the buckeye piece is very neat. I think the second finial is your best one, BTW. As to the question on the red, while I am not sure I would have added it, for me, the base should always match the form if different at all. In other words, if the pedestal/base is all one wood, then it should match the finial. If the base of the pedestal is different than the rest of the pedestal, the base should match the form. At least, that is what I like to see.

David E Keller
02-20-2011, 6:35 PM
Looks like your time with Drozda is paying dividends. I love the buckeye form for its color and the void. I'm not crazy about the color scheme for the first one mainly because of the sharp demarcation between red and yellow... Could you blend it? The finial of the maple form is my favorite of the three. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

Mark Hubl
02-20-2011, 7:41 PM
Nice work Larry. Finial work can become pretty addictive. The finial work on this batch is good, on your next batch you may want to make the feet of the pedestals a little more delicate. Look forward to your next ones.

Baxter Smith
02-20-2011, 7:52 PM
Definitely can see the Drozda influence! Like the last two best. The colors in the first one just don't appeal to me.

Dennis Ford
02-20-2011, 8:29 PM
The finials look really really good. The hollow forms would suit my taste better if the max diameter was farther up on the form. I rarely like colored pieces, can't offer suggestions on the paint.

Jon Nuckles
02-20-2011, 11:44 PM
I kind of like the red on the first one. It looks almost 3 dimensional on the right hand side of the picture, sort of like sauce on a sundae.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Looks like you are putting everything you learned at the class to good use! Nice variety of forms and detail work! Looking forward to seeing more of your hollow forms!

Larry Pickering
02-21-2011, 7:36 AM
I'm not real crazy about the color, myself. I mention an oops table for paint, looks like i need to start one for my turnings.
I have a bunch to put on it.

Larry

Michelle Rich
02-21-2011, 8:12 AM
I like the center best, but I think I'd like the bowl turned upside down.. or heck, i can just stand up and look at it upside down, never mind!!!!:-) :-0 All kidding aside, I think you have potential, after your class & should keep experimenting & sharing

Richard Madden
02-21-2011, 9:11 AM
Larry,
You're getting all kinds of advice here, and some I agree with. I commend you on your efforts on all points, and attending a class with Cindy must have been a great experience. I especially like the way you have used a base in a wood matching the form. And I don't think these belong on the "oops" table. Keep going with these and keep sharing with us. Heck, after viewing Cindy's "Fabulous Finial Box" video, I tried making a couple...if you saw them, they would be good candidates for the "oops" table!!

Allen stagg
02-21-2011, 9:16 AM
I really like the second one and really love the last one myself. Great job and love the finials. That is an art turning them and maybe some day, I will attempt such a feat. Thanks for sharing.