PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh!

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-19-2005, 5:30 PM
I sprayed a Mission side table this afternoon to go in a 'setting' with a rocker and ottoman. Mounted the Mission style pull, and it just didn't look right. Appeared 'crooked', like it was higher at one corner than the other. I putzed with it for probably 30 minutes...measuring, loosening the screws, moving a teensy bit, putting the drawer back in the table and stepping back to look at it. Still just didn't look right. Finally, as a 'I know it's right but it ain't gonna hurt to check' measure, I put the tape on the holes side to side ...and by golly, I was 1/4" off the center. :eek: :mad:

I know I'm not the only fella that's done this, but I may be the ony one who spent 30 minutes trying to fix it the wrong direction before I figured it out. Can't hardly imagine that I could 'miss' seeing something so askew. :o

Fortunately, the holes were 1/4", so they were easy to plug and covered by the pull. Doesn't make me feel any better, tho. :(

KC

Jim Fancher
01-19-2005, 5:32 PM
Welcome to MY world. :rolleyes:

Ted Shrader
01-19-2005, 5:35 PM
KC -

Sometimes we get too "close" to our work to see the easy fix. Sometimes when I'm in a jamb, my wife walks out and says . . . (something really obvious) . . . Then it makes total sense. DUH

Glad you were able to fix it easily.

Ted

Dennis McDonaugh
01-19-2005, 6:32 PM
Know what you mean KC. I just finished a quilt rack--Has three rails across the top and somehow I got one crooked. Probably cut the tenon slightly off kilter, but I didn't notice it until I brought it into the house. Katherine just turned it around so its on the back side, but I know its going to aggravate me every time I look at it. I've been wondering how hard it would be to pull apart and fix.

Bart Leetch
01-19-2005, 7:11 PM
I know how you feel KC I've done the same thing. Next time spend the time to make a jig.

Jim Becker
01-19-2005, 8:02 PM
I believe the correct word is, "DOH!!!!!!!!!!" (Don't even ask about the right knob on the armoire that is about 1/4" lower than the other one at the moment...will fix it in my copious free time, but 'had to walk away to avoid shattering the mirror...;)

Norman Hitt
01-20-2005, 1:56 AM
:eek: :mad:

I know I'm not the only fella that's done this, but I may be the ony one who spent 30 minutes trying to fix it the wrong direction before I figured it out. Can't hardly imagine that I could 'miss' seeing something so askew.

KC
KC, you've probably just been building too much Fence, lately, and your eye is still adjusted to fence building instead of close tolerance woodworking. I hate it when it does that!!