PDA

View Full Version : Advice - rounding hole edges

Jack Burgess
02-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Would like to know how to round out holes put in 1 1/2 wood stock (usually white pine). Like a window in a airplane or toy car. Think it looks more finished that just the straight hole. Hand sanding is too difficult and time consuming. I thought of a router but do not know how I would use it on an item 3" x 6" for example. Thanks for any ideas.

Neil Brooks
02-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Set up a bearing-equipped chamfering router bit, at a height of something between 1/16th and 1/8", and run that around the inside perimeter of your holes.

Will make a nice, smooth, slightly tapered edge.

Jack Burgess
02-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Set up a bearing-equipped chamfering router bit, at a height of something between 1/16th and 1/8", and run that around the inside perimeter of your holes.

Will make a nice, smooth, slightly tapered edge.

Neil, thanks but what is a chamfering router bit - it that a standard bit I can purchase ? Also how do I use the router on the small wood item? bottom mount on table - I am a new woodworker and not sure ? tha nks

Caspar Hauser
02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes it is a standard bit, as is a roundover bit with a bearing. You could drill and round over the hole first and then shape the wood around the hole. This way you will have a larger surface to rest the router on, it will also make clamping the work piece easier. Alternatively you could use a small router/laminate trimmer like a Colt and use a perforated rubber mat
or drawer liner type material to hold the workpiece still.

joe milana
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Are you talkin' a rounded hole as in a square with rounded corners, or a square hole with rounded edges? Google "chamfer router bit", or "roundover router bit. Is this what you have in mind?

hank dekeyser
02-20-2011, 1:54 PM
When I was making kids toys, I would just chuck up a bit in the router-hold the router in one hand and hold the workpiece in the other - BUT - they were small / big enough to handle safely. A simple router table does the same thing only safer. I used to use 1/8, or 1/4 roundover bits, depends on if you want it rounded over or bevel edge. You can make a simple table out of 1/2" ply, doesnt need to be fancy

Kent A Bathurst
02-20-2011, 3:31 PM
Hold the workpiece down with double sided tape - won't leave residue over a short time. If it does - quick wipe with mineral spirits and it's gone.

You can get a chamfering bit at the BORG - commonly available.

Not sure how big the hole is? Or, what shape the hole is? If it is an airplane window, then it's kinda rectangular/oblong?

John Nesmith
02-20-2011, 3:32 PM
When I was making kids toys, I would just chuck up a bit in the router-hold the router in one hand and hold the workpiece in the other

That gives me the willies.