PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt Vs new DeWalt DWP611 compact router

Robert Chapman
02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Just got the new DeWalt DWP611 and so far really like it. It seems to have two advantages over my Bosch Colt -1. The depth adjustment on the DeWalt is much easier to accurately set and 2. The DeWalt is somewhat quieter than the Bosch. The DeWalt is a little larger that the Colt but still fits my hand well and is very easy to control. The lights on the DeWalt are a nice idea but don't seem to be as big an advantage as I thought they would be.Then there is the plunge base available with the DeWalt but not the Bosch [unless you want to spend $400]. I did not get the plunge base. All in all I think the DeWalt is better if only for the greatly improved depth setting mechanics.

Bill Huber
02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree with you 100%, I really like the little 611 and it has done really well so far, I guess only time will tell how it last.

Here is my write up on it when I got mine.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153632-Dewalts-new-baby-the-611-head-to-head-with-a-Bosch-Colt&highlight=dewalt+611

Peter Quinn
02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking about getting the dewalt but I really only want it for the plunge base. Do they have a plunge only version?Frankly I wish they had a dedicated plunge router in that size range other than the wazoo expensive festool version. The light might come in handy for routing inlays freehand to layout marks. I know my shop lights are far less than perfect for that. I have a colt and agree the depth setting is not great, but I like just about every thing else about it and am in no hurry to replace it for another fixed base model.

Bill Huber
02-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking about getting the dewalt but I really only want it for the plunge base. Do they have a plunge only version?Frankly I wish they had a dedicated plunge router in that size range other than the wazoo expensive festool version. The light might come in handy for routing inlays freehand to layout marks. I know my shop lights are far less than perfect for that. I have a colt and agree the depth setting is not great, but I like just about every thing else about it and am in no hurry to replace it for another fixed base model.

I know what you mean, that is all I needed was the plunge base but well I had to get both. I will have to say I have use the fixed base once.

Van Huskey
02-20-2011, 3:38 PM
I really want a Micro Fence plunge base to use with a Colt it is VERY nice but at $400 very expensive. After seeing the Dewalt it is clear it will probably be all I ever need, but that Micro Fence is so so cool.

Phil Thien
02-20-2011, 3:50 PM
I really want a Micro Fence plunge base to use with a Colt it is VERY nice but at $400 very expensive. After seeing the Dewalt it is clear it will probably be all I ever need, but that Micro Fence is so so cool.

The DeWalt plunge action is okay, but there is a little slop in it. I started with a Trend plunger (the one that sells for about $100) and found the plunge action to be just too sloppy for fine work. My benchmark was my DW618 plunge base, which plunges with no slop whatsoever.

So I got rid of the Trend and got the little DeWalt 611 when my local Woodcraft was having a DeWalt sale. I'm very happy with it. The plunging isn't quite as good as the DW618, but it is certainly good enough.

I have a feeling the Micro Fence probably is as good or better than the 618. I imagine the price is fair for what goes into it.

I just can't justify one.

Oh, and I like the light on the 611. I was using it with a 1/8" piloted flush trim bit to clean up some corners on a door I'm making as the light came in very handy. But I'm 45 and my eyes are as good as they once were.

johnny means
02-21-2011, 12:31 AM
I've had the Colt for a couple of years now and really have grown to dislike it. The fine adjustment is next to useless because it is so difficult to use. But more importantly, the way the base interfaces with the motor is prone to being out of square. The part of the base that wraps around the motor is to narrow. I can't tell you how many times I struggled to set up a perfect round over only to have the Colt cut a bead when I turned it aroud in my hand. I will religate it to flush trimming and mortising doors along with other operations where a squared base isn't crucial. Assuming that the Dewalt's design operates very much like my 618s I cannot see the Dewalt having these same issues.

John Coloccia
02-21-2011, 9:14 AM
I've come to dislike mine too, Johnny. I really liked it before the Dewalt/PC was available, but that's just because there was really nothing else quite like it (especially since porter cable discontinued the 310). Now that I see what it SHOULD be, the Colt irritates me more and more every day.

Steve H Graham
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Now that I see what it SHOULD be, the Colt irritates me more and more every day.

Let's go beat the crap out of the guys at Bosch headquarters.

John Coloccia
02-21-2011, 1:46 PM
Let's go beat the crap out of the guys at Bosch headquarters.

You know, that's actually not a terrible idea, though an email might be cheaper in terms of air fare :). If they redesigned the base, I would gladly buy one because I do like the ergonomics of the motor, and it would really improve the product.

Bill Huber
02-21-2011, 1:55 PM
You know, that's actually not a terrible idea, though an email might be cheaper in terms of air fare :). If they redesigned the base, I would gladly buy one because I do like the ergonomics of the motor, and it would really improve the product.

When I emailed them about it and also talked to a rep at the woodworking show they said there was nothing in the works for a plunge base for the Colt or a replacement for it.

That is when I made the decision to get the Dewalt.

Robert Chapman
02-21-2011, 2:25 PM
Whoa! When I started this thread it was not to bash Bosch but to compare the Bosch to the DeWalt. I still like some aspects of the Bosch better than the DeWalt - it's a little smaller and is very easy to handle, I like the blue color better than that bright DeWalt yellow, and I like the Bosch on/off switch better that the dust proof DeWalt switch. I have many Bosch tools and I think that Bosch generally makes fine tools.

Steve H Graham
02-21-2011, 4:21 PM
I'm really disappointed in you guys. I already had the Bluesmobile warmed up.

I can attest to the slop problem, if you're referring to repeatability on the depth adjustment.

Van Huskey
02-21-2011, 5:16 PM
Whoa! When I started this thread it was not to bash Bosch but to compare the Bosch to the DeWalt. I still like some aspects of the Bosch better than the DeWalt - it's a little smaller and is very easy to handle, I like the blue color better than that bright DeWalt yellow, and I like the Bosch on/off switch better that the dust proof DeWalt switch. I have many Bosch tools and I think that Bosch generally makes fine tools.

I think most everyone here thinks the Bosch "was" great since it was the best of breed for several years short of the Festool. It is frustrating at times due to the adjustment and lack of plunge base but it was THE baby router. The Dewalt seems to have addressed the short comings and now makes the Colt look poor in comparison in several ways. Now it is time for them to step up or step aside, based on the comments from Bosch at IWF they aren't planning to step up. They do have a big user base using them for small CNC and a ton of other dedicated work.

Jim Rimmer
02-21-2011, 5:33 PM
I have both and for reasons already mentioned, I much prefer the DeWalt. I read a review of the Bosch (after I bought it) on another site and one of the things the reviewer warned about was how easy it was to get your finger in the base window and into the bit. I came close once so that is also a concern.

John Coloccia
02-21-2011, 9:15 PM
I think most everyone here thinks the Bosch "was" great since it was the best of breed for several years short of the Festool. It is frustrating at times due to the adjustment and lack of plunge base but it was THE baby router. The Dewalt seems to have addressed the short comings and now makes the Colt look poor in comparison in several ways. Now it is time for them to step up or step aside, based on the comments from Bosch at IWF they aren't planning to step up. They do have a big user base using them for small CNC and a ton of other dedicated work.

Exactly. No one is bashing Bosch.

Dave MacArthur
02-23-2011, 2:36 AM
I can't tell you how many times I struggled to set up a perfect round over only to have the Colt cut a bead when I turned it aroud in my hand. .
Exactly! I totally concur, and I've always wondered why the Bosch Colt continually gets voted "best" for laminate/trim router, but it wins every magazine showdown I have back to 2005. Yet every time I use it, primarily for round-overs or flush trimming, the base is not square to the motor at all angles and I inevitably get a bead or dig-in with the trim bit. I have the older version, from back in hmm, probably 1997 or something? I've looked at newer ones in the store and did not think the terrible depth setting and base collar of mine seemed improved, but figured they must be due to all the cudos I read.

Sounds like I need to get myself the new DW next time I need to do light edge work.
--edit---Oh wait! I just bought the DW618 combo pack for that! Doh! Pretty sure once I put that 618 in my empty router-lift and table, I won't want to haul it out too often though. I won't be too hard to convince that I need that 611...

Matt Meiser
02-23-2011, 8:33 AM
I don't have the out of square problem with my Bosch but the collet lock did strip out which seems to be common. I've been looking at the DWP611 but haven't pulled the trigger due to a lot of other expenses. The one drawback I see, and granted I've only played with it for a few seconds in the store, is that it is just enough bigger that its not as comfortable to hold. For those who've had both, what do you find after using it for a while? Do you get used to it?

Bill Huber
02-23-2011, 8:47 AM
I don't have the out of square problem with my Bosch but the collet lock did strip out which seems to be common. I've been looking at the DWP611 but haven't pulled the trigger due to a lot of other expenses. The one drawback I see, and granted I've only played with it for a few seconds in the store, is that it is just enough bigger that its not as comfortable to hold. For those who've had both, what do you find after using it for a while? Do you get used to it?

Matt, I sold the Bosch and have been using the 611, it is a little larger but i fine after awhile you really don't notice it.

When using the fixed base I just do not really notice the size now, the light I have got to the point I love. I am not sure I could live without the light now.

Bottom line I am very happy with the 611 and it has done everything I have wanted to do with it.

I still like the little Bosch and if they had a good base for it I would have never looked at the 611. I do think at this point if Bosch came out with a new base and a plunge base I would still keep the 611.

Louis Brandt
02-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Matt, I sold the Bosch and have been using the 611, it is a little larger but i fine after awhile you really don't notice it.

When using the fixed base I just do not really notice the size now, the light I have got to the point I love. I am not sure I could live without the light now.

Bottom line I am very happy with the 611 and it has done everything I have wanted to do with it.

I still like the little Bosch and if they had a good base for it I would have never looked at the 611. I don't think at this point if Bosch came out with a new base and a plunge base I would still keep the 611.

Bill, are you saying that if Bosch came out with a plunge base for the Colt, that you would consider the Colt better than the DW611, or did you mean that you would NOT consider the Colt better than the DW611?

Louis

Bill Huber
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Bill, are you saying that if Bosch came out with a plunge base for the Colt, that you would consider the Colt better than the DW611, or did you mean that you would NOT consider the Colt better than the DW611?

Louis

I don't guess that was very clear, I did edit it.

If Bosch came out with a good base and a plunge base I would still keep the 611.
Now if I still had the Bosch and they came out with new bases then I would sure look at them but I sold the Bosch.

The plunge base on the 611 is really a very nice base and works very well.

Jim Rimmer
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM

I still like the little Bosch and if they had a good base for it I would have never looked at the 611. I do think at this point if Bosch came out with a new base and a plunge base I would still keep the 611.

I agree with Bill and bought my 611 based on his review. I didn't sell my Colt and use it occasionally. I will probably use it for trim jobs and keep the plunge base on the DW for inlays, etc. I thought about selling the Bosch but just can't make myself do it. :o

Andrew Teich
04-09-2011, 7:49 AM
While looking into this router after reading about it in FWW I discovered that DeWalt is running a rebate of 20 off the fixed base only version and 30 off the plunge and fixed base kit. If you were looking at getting this one make sure you also find a copy of that rebate form and save a few pennies.

glenn bradley
04-09-2011, 8:56 AM
I did not get the plunge base. All in all I think the DeWalt is better if only for the greatly improved depth setting mechanics.

Interesting, the plunge is the reason I would get it. Refreshing how we are all different.

After seeing the Dewalt it is clear it will probably be all I ever need, but that Micro Fence is so so cool.

I agree the Micro Fence is very cool and made like a fine tool should be. It is a beauty to hold in your hands (at the shows). If I did a fair amount of small router plunge work I would justify the cost but, I don't right now.

The fine adjustment is next to useless because it is so difficult to use. But more importantly, the way the base interfaces with the motor is prone to being out of square.

I find it encouraging that designers are listening. When the Bosch came out, the thing that made it an automatic hit was the greatly improved depth control over what was available at the time(!?!). Now the DeWalt has an even better method and has a plunge; something Bosch is missing and by declaration, has no intention of providing.

The adjustments now seems fussy and I too hardly ever use that little wheel. As to the base, I swapped mine out immediatly for a Pat Warner base that is perfectly centered and accepts "standard" template guides. I wouldn't bother with the stock base any more than I would a stock bandsaw blade ;-)

Chris Fournier
04-09-2011, 9:49 AM
Generally I think that Bosch tools are excellent, specifically I think that the Bosch Colt is a POS. I am extremely disappointed with mine. I liked the feel of it in the hand but in operation it pretty much only cuts beads as others have pointed out. My spindle lock is kaput as well and I am no Moose Wonooski when it comes to tools so I can say that I would never buy another and as it happens I need two more laminate trimmers for a current job. I'll look at the Dewalt 611.

Harvey Pascoe
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Why is it that nobody makes a decent mini router for detail work like inlays? Thousands, if not millions need one and yet there is not a single decent one on the market for fine, detail work. I'm using a Dremel (made by Bosch, I recently found out) with the Stewart-MacDonald base for guitar work, which I have heavily modified, but the Dremel is also a POS with no decent bearings in it and it vibrates like mad. I bought the Colt and used it twice, a piece of junk IMHO and too big for my use.

John Coloccia
04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Why is it that nobody makes a decent mini router for detail work like inlays? Thousands, if not millions need one and yet there is not a single decent one on the market for fine, detail work. I'm using a Dremel (made by Bosch, I recently found out) with the Stewart-MacDonald base for guitar work, which I have heavily modified, but the Dremel is also a POS with no decent bearings in it and it vibrates like mad. I bought the Colt and used it twice, a piece of junk IMHO and too big for my use.

My next step with this is to try a a turbocarver style....maybe the NSK Presto because it's probably the best on the market. I'll build a bse around it, and it should be the ultimate inlay tool. I actually just sent an e-mail to StewMac a couple of days ago asking that they look into something like this as a potential tool for them to sell. Shoot, I bet is Lee Valley tossed together an "inlay outfit", it'd sell great.

Chris Fournier
04-09-2011, 10:36 AM

There have been very good units made but they are only bought by industry for the most part because they cost big bucks There was a really fine Porter Cable unit that I looked at years ago, it was beyond reproach and beyond by budget at the time - well over $350 CDN. To this day I regret not buying it - special order. I have wasted that much money on two inferior machines since I passed on the PC. Lesson learned? Likely not.

Harvey Pascoe
04-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I simply took the Stew-Mac base and added a fence to it for doing edging and stinging, but the height adjustment on that thing is a nightmare, but at least it is open and you can see what you're doing, whereas the Colt and DW you'd be working blind. Rather than adjusting the S-M base height, its easier to just adjust the bit !.

Sean Nagle
04-09-2011, 1:19 PM
To update anyone who's interested, DeWalt is now offering the dust extraction adapters for both the fixed and plunge DW611 bases. I bought mine through a local construction supplier who carries DeWalt products. I haven't used either yet so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Brian Penning
04-09-2011, 1:54 PM
I've had the Colt for a couple of years now and really have grown to dislike it. The fine adjustment is next to useless because it is so difficult to use. But more importantly, the way the base interfaces with the motor is prone to being out of square. The part of the base that wraps around the motor is to narrow. I can't tell you how many times I struggled to set up a perfect round over only to have the Colt cut a bead when I turned it aroud in my hand. I will religate it to flush trimming and mortising doors along with other operations where a squared base isn't crucial. Assuming that the Dewalt's design operates very much like my 618s I cannot see the Dewalt having these same issues.

aaah!...so that's why I get the little rebate/rabbit sometimes!!