PDA

View Full Version : Re-Wire Garage Opener?

Russ Filtz
02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
OK, how do I figure out the spaghetti mess of wiring on this opener? I dislodged a wire or two while fixing the motor collar to the screw drive. Tried to replace where I thought they went, tried all combinations of terminals, but just made things worse! The three cables disappear into the ceiling drywall, so I have no idea where each one goes or even if all wires are "active"/needed.

Right now the light does not come when door is activated. The inside control does not actuate the door every time. Mostly it starts then reverses and I have to hit the button 3-4 times. Weirdly the car remote works fine!

It's a Genie which i did not install. Even if I can find a manual online, I still need to figure out what each wire does in each cable. :( Guess I need to buy a remote continuity tester.

Tim Morton
02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
i have a Genie...let me go check and see what my connections look like.

Tim Morton
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
On mine....the 2 left hand screws are for the remote opener button inside the garage. And the two right hand screws are for the two sensors at the base of the garage door. so one wire feeds to the left pair only....and the remaining two wires are parallel across the right pair.

At least on mine....from left to right....i have 1=solid and 2=stripe ( these are from the remote button on the wall) Then 3= solid and solid and 4= stripe and stripe ( these are from the left and right sensors at the base)

can you see the wires that are connected to the sensors on the floor? I owuld think those would be the only ones that would need to be connected to 3 and 4...and likewise the remote opener to 1 and 2.

Russ Filtz
02-20-2011, 1:14 PM
Thanks for checking it out! I'll try to figure mine out based on the above. But my wall remote also controls the light and a lockout code preventing the car remotes from working. Not sure all that can be done over just two wires. Unless it's all digital or something. Maybe the remote wires are just power, and the signal is wireless?

Russ Filtz
02-20-2011, 1:35 PM
Got It! All functions work now. Took me awhile as the previous imbecile used a "solid orange-green stripe-orange stripe" wiring method instead of a simple "all solid-all stripe one". Took a chance that he did the same thing for all three wires and lucked out.