PDA

View Full Version : Bowl sanding

Donny Lawson
02-20-2011, 9:47 AM
What do you use to do your sanding on a finished bowl? Does anyone use a "Angle sander" like the Robert sorby kind? (161-0300) 2" angle sander,$48.99. As of now I have been sanding my bowls by hand on and off the lathe. I'm looking for a better and quicker method.

David E Keller
02-20-2011, 9:52 AM
I'd get with Vince of Woodnwonders and look at a starter set of power sanding materials. If you own a drill, you're just a few items away from happy power sanding. I learned about his stuff on this site, and I've never looked back. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Matt Newton
02-20-2011, 9:58 AM
Completely agree with David. I got a starter pack at the Hartford symposium and I love it. I use an angle sander from Northern tool and also chuck it in the lathe. Again no affiliation, just a happy customer.

Steve Schlumpf
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Donny - another vote for Vince! I use his Blue Flex disks along with the cheapest variable speed 3/8" drill I could find! Bought one 3 years ago at Menards for less than $20 and it still works! Remember when you do power sanding - heat is your enemy! So use light pressure, slow speed and keep the sanding pad moving!

Here is Vince's site: http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/

No affiliation - just another happy customer!

Cody Colston
02-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I usually use 3" discs and power sand with a close quarters drill. I started out using a new Sioux angled drill that cost aroudn $150. It gave up the ghost after two years. The inside literally melted and it was beyond salvage.

Since then, I have begun using the Neiko 3/8", 55 degree close quarters drill. They are available at Amazon for around $35 or less. The first one lasted 1 1/2 years and I'm well into my second year on the second one.

Jake Helmboldt
02-20-2011, 11:29 AM
+1 on the Neiko. Cheap, light ande compact. Get both a 2" and 3" and get the backing pad from Vince as well. It prolongs the life of the velcro. For less than $100 you can have the drill, pads, mandrels, discs, etc. Waaaayyy faster than by hand and much better at removing areas of tearout.

You can use a regular drill as well, but the close quarter drill is better ergonomically and for getting into tight bowls (like an enclosed form).

Tim Thiebaut
02-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Vince is selling the Neiko drills on his site for $49 and change, I dont know if this is something new or not. I will be ordering some things from him at the end of the month when I get my check.

Reed Gray
02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Vince is the only way to go for power sanding. Running the drills at half speed makes them run a lot longer, and sanding actually works better at the slow speeds. I get about 400 bowls (from 4 to 16 or more inch diameter) from my Sioux angle drills before the bearings need to be replaced. Angle drills fit inside larger bowls better than right angle drills, there is a difference.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2011, 12:57 PM
I use a Harbour Freight angle drill and Vince's blue disc's. Like Reed said half speed is good. I am going down today to buy a new HF drill as the one I bought 3 yrs ago just gave out last week.

Tim Thiebaut
02-20-2011, 2:32 PM
I use a Harbour Freight angle drill and Vince's blue disc's. Like Reed said half speed is good. I am going down today to buy a new HF drill as the one I bought 3 yrs ago just gave out last week.

I was looking at those last week at HF, they have a right angle drill for I think it was around 30 bucks, is that the one you will be getting? I wondered how they would hold up, if you see this thread again could you let me know what model it is you are useing from them please? Thanks, Tim

Jon Nuckles
02-20-2011, 3:07 PM
I just bought the Neiko and a full set up of sanding supplies from Vince about a week ago after reading the good reviews here. He was very helpful when I called him and took the time to walk me through what I would need and how to use everything. I am very happy with what I bought.

Jim Burr
02-20-2011, 3:16 PM
I'm using a Metabo ROS angle head with variable RO...the finish can't be beat!

Michael James
02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Donny, I'm happy to see you actively getting things going in the new shop. +1 on the HF right angle, and Vince's for disks and pads.
mj

Greg Just
02-20-2011, 10:56 PM
I was looking at those last week at HF, they have a right angle drill for I think it was around 30 bucks, is that the one you will be getting? I wondered how they would hold up, if you see this thread again could you let me know what model it is you are useing from them please? Thanks, Tim

I have this HF Drill and with a 20% off coupon I got it for $24. Works just fine and when it dies, I go buy another.

Harry Robinette
02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Donny
I use an angle handle sander all the time.I like them they leave no radial scratches and don't eat wood like power sanding.Don't get me wrong I also power sand when needed but I like my rotary handle sander for most things.A lot of the guys don't like them cause there hard to get use to.They can cause some maddening times when they won't turn an grab the wood but I still like mine.
Harry

Brian McInturff
02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I had never heard of Neiko. I'm glad there is another maker for the Sioux style 55 degree angle drills. I've been pretty lucky as I got a Milwaukee 55 degree angle drill about 7 years ago and it's still going strong. One recommendation for whichever drill you get is to spend time after using it blowing it out. I spend maybe 3 minutes cleaning mine after a good day of use. I picked up a Sioux at a yard sale never used and have it put back as a backup. I made a mistake and bought a Grex air sander. I loved the feel of it but it has several drawbacks. The air hose is cumbersome. Running the air compressor is noisy, requires maintenance, and is costly on the electric bill. Plus it's way overkill when you don't need the high speed for sanding.

Some woods I would not power sand at all. Woods like Cedar are very easy to get heat cracks from sanding. I know there are other woods that do this too, just can't think of which ones off the top of my head.
When hand sanding I use Abralon and a little water or mineral spirits. Sometimes depending on the woods I might cut a larger pieces of micromesh and use those after the Abralon. This process works really well on Cherry burl, Ironwood, and Mesquite.

Donny Lawson
02-21-2011, 6:54 AM
I've noticed that most people prefer the power sanding from an angle drill/sander over the manual hand held sander that uses the power of the lathe.I've got a bowl that was in my chuck at the time of my fire and I hope to save it. It will have to be sanded alot and will probally need a power sander. I will have to visit HF and see what they have.

Tom Hamilton
02-21-2011, 7:21 AM
Donny: you might find some info here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?145608-A-quieter-power-source-for-power-sanding.

Short story: flexible drive shaft on a drill press. Works great for me. Much quieter than the Neiko and lighter than any hand held drill.

Best regards, Tom, in Douglasville, not too far from you.