PDA

View Full Version : Krenov Cabinet Backs

Chris Jackson
02-20-2011, 9:16 AM
I've taken a look at the following thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149638-What-method-to-make-a-solid-wood-cabinet-back and it got me thinking, there is not really a difinitive thread on this topic. Also, Jim really did not cover (in depth) his favored construction techniques for cabinet backs in his books, for the most part he addressed the philosopy of the look and feel of the back, and how it should balance the overall appearance, rather than tackling specific technique and joinery...

For those of you who have made Krenov inspired cabinets, could you provide a brief discussion of your back design method and joinery??

I'm still exploring options for a new project of my own...it would be tremendously helpful to myself and others I'm sure.

Cheers!
Chris

Andrew Hughes
02-20-2011, 3:59 PM
Hi chris,I have thought about that question myself.The answer i came up was to put the back panels into a frame work that slips into a rabbit around the back.Sorta like a drawer slip.Of course the type of wood and size would have to be considered.The person who would really know is david finick he finished Mr krenovs last cabinet.He has a web site easy to find.Really nice guy to talk to.Hope this helps. Andrew

Ted Wong
02-20-2011, 4:49 PM
Frame has dado all the way around. The panel has a rabbet. Depending on the thickness of the material the dado width and location on the frame determines the thickness of the panel (or vice versa). The rabbet slips into the dado groove and the face of the panel is just below the surface of the frame. The panel is pre-finished before assembly and the frame left unfinished. Because the panel is lower than the frame sanding and clean up of the frame can be done safely without disturbing the finish on the panel. Depending on the carcass detail the frame and panel either glued into a rabbet or floats in a dado on all four sides (usually the former). If I had a camera with me I'd photograph the detail for you. Also check out the CR Fine Woodworking website galleries and that may be informative.

http://crfinefurniture.com/default.html

Chris Jackson
02-20-2011, 5:49 PM
Ted, that is excellent...I understand completely. One question, is the frame typically quite narrow?

I'm speculating as I would assume the frame would have too much negative visual impact were it wide.

Chris