PDA

View Full Version : A doh!!! moment

Richard Dooling
02-19-2011, 9:00 PM
I picked up a few items at yard sales this weekend including a block plane with the lateral adjuster attached to the blade!?* Odd, I'll post pics.

Anyway I've been hassling over where to get really small amounts of brass plate for things like wear plates for marking gauges and such when I finally saw a thick brass hinge not as a hinge but as raw material. There is more than enough clear undrilled brass for a couple of small projects. Crap. I know better. I have to remember to look at things for their potential and not leave them in their category. "Dat's a hinge an' dat's all it is." :rolleyes:

So several sq. in. of .125 brass for just about $.15. DOH!!!:D

Another couple of tips. Brass pen tubes are great for small ferrules for things like marking knives. Found these pretty cheap a Woodcraft after looking high and low and not wanting to pay shipping for a small order.

And for the restorers - I've found that my local Harbor Freight carries Evapo-Rust in gallon containers at a decent price.

john brenton
02-19-2011, 9:07 PM
HF is the ONLY place I've ever seen evaporust. Its really bizarre that the big box stores wouldn't carry it.

Jim Koepke
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
a block plane with the lateral adjuster attached to the blade!?* Odd, I'll post pics.

If my memory is working, Sargent was one maker of such.

jtk

Paul Saffold
02-20-2011, 7:40 PM
Tractor Supply carries EvapoRust in gallons. I'd check similar stores like Agway. I've bought quarts in one of the auto supply stores but I don't remember which, another place to look. Check out the web sites for those in your area. That's how I found it at Tractor Supply.

Michael Titus
02-20-2011, 9:42 PM
And for the restorers - I've found that my local Harbor Freight carries Evapo-Rust in gallon containers at a decent price.

Good to know. I was getting tired of having to buy it by the quart. A new HF just opened up in town, so I'll have to go check it out.